Article: Olympics to give break-dancing a spin in 2024

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Olympics to give break-dancing a spin in 2024

i

The IOC has granted Olympic status to break-dancing. The sport will be called breaking and debut at the 2024 Games in Paris.

Read Full Story

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
This is a great idea. Some of you are making old people jokes, but this is for young people. Get younger people involved for an event where the average age viewer is 50+ is a good thing.

@The Fonz the only motive is to get younger. They are trying to get ahead of the problem that baseball has.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is a great idea. Some of you are making old people jokes, but this is for young people. Get younger people involved for an event where the average age viewer is 50+ is a good thing.

@The Fonz the only motive is to get younger. They are trying to get ahead of the problem that baseball has.
Just jokes. I'm guessing the Olympic scoring system will ruin it for the breakers, like gymnastics.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These are all competitions, so I understand why break dancing received consideration and adoption. Not sure how well I will enjoy watching it though. One thing I DO know is that I will watch it more than sports climbing...

"He's about to set a stake. Let's look at how he pounds it into place!"

"The Australian team has been struggling with finding the right hand holds at this stage, while the French team has breezed through. Fascinating."

Let me shut up now. I know better than anyone my eyes will be glued watching sports climbing way WAY more than ice curling. :laugh:

nobody

Reaction score
How about giving them REAL incentives? Winners get: Gold: 10 million, Silver: 5 million, Bronze: 2.5 million. Anyone not placing in top three is contractually obligated to play for the Eagles for no less than 3 seasons. That's punishment enough to really spark competition!

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score

it is not about young or old it is about logic young got the ideas from the old ..rational thinking has to take over not emotion. and for the record break dancing/ popping and locking started way long before all of us alive.

It dated back to the 1930's and popularized later on in the 60's , 70's check Jeffrey Daniel of shalamar Crazy Legs of Rock Steady Crew,James Brown, DJ Kool Herc and the Electric Boogaloos of 80's
I have no objection of breakdance to be included i grew up with it but if we to include it you have to include all type of dances from all over the word yes including the macarena

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
it is not about young or old it is about logic young got the ideas from the old ..rational thinking has to take over not emotion. and for the record break dancing/ popping and locking started way long before all of us alive.

It dated back to the 1930's and popularized later on in the 60's , 70's check Jeffrey Daniel of shalamar Crazy Legs of Rock Steady Crew,James Brown, DJ Kool Herc and the Electric Boogaloos of 80's
I have no objection of breakdance to be included i grew up with it but if we to include it you have to include all type of dances from all over the word yes including the macarena

The point isn't when it started. It's who is it popular with now? Certainly not the primary demo of the Olympics. Just look at all the old fogies complaining about it in this thread. Young people would love it

joseephuss

Reaction score
These are all competitions, so I understand why break dancing received consideration and adoption. Not sure how well I will enjoy watching it though. One thing I DO know is that I will watch it more than sports climbing...

"He's about to set a stake. Let's look at how he pounds it into place!"

"The Australian team has been struggling with finding the right hand holds at this stage, while the French team has breezed through. Fascinating."

Let me shut up now. I know better than anyone my eyes will be glued watching sports climbing way WAY more than ice curling. :laugh:

I'm not sure if climbing should be an Olympic sport, but the speed climbing looks cool. There are 3 different phases to the climbing competition and the speed climbing is one of them.