Article: Olympics to give break-dancing a spin in 2024

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The point isn't when it started. It's who is it popular with now? Certainly not the primary demo of the Olympics. Just look at all the old fogies complaining about it in this thread. Young people would love it
All the old people you are talking about were young once so it is not about young or old.
the argument is how do you validate an activity to be included in such sport gathering if you include one why not include the other activities too

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. I never liked a sport that had to be judged to determine a winner.
Good point. I used to watch a great deal of the Games back in the 1970's and 1980's. One of my biggest pet peeves were the differences of opinion between judges, especially figure skating and gymnastics. Usually the East German judge would make me want to shoot him/her after posting their scores. :muttley:

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. I used to watch a great deal of the Games back in the 1970's and 1980's. One of my biggest pet peeves were the differences of opinion between judges, especially figure skating and gymnastics. Usually the East German judge would make me want to shoot him/her after posting their scores. :muttley:
Yep, I remember the same thing. During the cold war days it was really bad. It was like, "What are you seeing that everyone else isn't". But to be fair, boxing was worse and I liked watching boxing back in the day.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yep. I never liked a sport that had to be judged to determine a winner.

Referees judge plays that determine the winner all the time in football. Just kidding. I agree. While I find gymnastics to be incredible athletic feats, I can't stand how much the reliance on judges opinions determine the outcome. I don't know of a better way of doing it, but it disappointing. There is a balance between how much an athlete/team does and how much a judge/umpire/referee does to determine a winner. I prefer sports with less influence by the judge over the ones that are heavily decided by the judge. I thoroughly enjoy gymnastics as an athletic performance, but as a sport the judges leave much to be desired.