On draft day the Cowboys have Amari Cooper

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Planning is fun. Expecting is fun.

What the Cowboys have left in the exchange for our 1st is Cooper at 15mil this year, also giving them the exclusive right to negotiate with him until free agency.
But that's all they got. They didn't get fulfillment of their hopes and dreams.

Now watch Cooper put the screws to Jerry, because he'll look like a fool if he *doesn't* extend Cooper. Cooper has all the leverage.

First round picks come a lot cheaper than Cooper will. We could have had our pick *and* 12mil+ to spend in free agency, or to keep our own guys.

This year has a lot of dline talent. We won't be a player.

We mortgaged the future to get a better result last year.

Yes great players cost money. I don't hear Bear fans B!tching because they got Mack from the Raiders. The man is a great talent and will help them win. Cooper is a great talent who can help this team win. Those who do not like this trade fine don't like it but I will take talent any day of the week and Cooper has that in spades. I look forward to seeing him help this team get to where the want to go. I think Cooper like any player will want to be paid I don't see him looking to put the screws to Dallas

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I hated the trade at the time, but as we sit today: zero regrets. Cooper already is everything that people hope first round WRs like Metcalf might be, and there is zero learning curve with him too.

Only downside is the financial cost, but in a league where the Eagles paid a 3rd for an eight game rental of Golden Tate with 0 intention of resigning him, you can justify a good amount of the trade cost on just his 2018 impact alone.

Western

Reaction score
On the 2009 draft day, the cowboys had Roy Williams.
On the 2000 draft day, and the 2001 draft day, the cowboys had Joey Galloway.
How did those deals work out?

The same guy that orchestrated those deals, traded for Cooper.

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Because Williams did not pan out in terms of performance. Galloway was coming into a cap strapped team who was losing all the key players that had won a SB. Cooper situation is much different, this is a young team that has tasted playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and a team who is in a good place cap wise. Dallas gave up a 1 for a player who is still in his prime and should be a key player for this team for the next few years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's called trade and sign. The Cowboys' inability to at the very least sign this guy upon trading for him reflects a level of incompetence not many franchises display.
This would make sense if Cooper has been in the final year of his contract in 2018. He wasn’t.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
That is how you feel, Maybe this is not the franchise for you since you seem to find nothing about it that you like. Then again maybe complaining is what you like to do. So have at it. I freely will say Cowboys took a gamble on the WR they had to start the season and it did not work out and left them in a situation where they needed help. They did what they had to and in paid off, turning a team who started the season 3-4 into a team who went 7-2. Now we head into this upcoming season with a very good weapon on the outside a true playmaker.

Yes, keep pretending like this team hasn't had some of the worst results in the last 20+ years..

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

Amari Cooper arguably did more the last eleven games (including playoffs) than Williams and Galloway did their entire time in Dallas.

If the Cowboys did not trade for Cooper they would have had to use the 27 pick on a WR anyway. They now have a proven one that's still just 25.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
as of right now we have him for 1 year and at a large cost.

He will get his long term deal sometime over the next 12 months. The Cowboys did not trade a first round pick for a 25 game rental. They said from the moment Cooper got here that they view him as a cornerstone player. He's not going anywhere.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He will get his long term deal sometime over the next 12 months. The Cowboys did not trade a first round pick for a 25 game rental. They said from the moment Cooper got here that they view him as a cornerstone player. He's not going anywhere.
It would have cost more on the cap to do a deal at the time of the trade

ACooper only cost the team 700k last year and his 14m option for 2019 doesn't guarantee until next Thursday.... there was no reason to rush like they did with RWilliams

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes great players cost money. I don't hear Bear fans B!tching because they got Mack from the Raiders. The man is a great talent and will help them win. Cooper is a great talent who can help this team win. Those who do not like this trade fine don't like it but I will take talent any day of the week and Cooper has that in spades. I look forward to seeing him help this team get to where the want to go. I think Cooper like any player will want to be paid I don't see him looking to put the screws to Dallas

Mack was an All Pro 3 of the last 4 years.

But we'll see how the Bears fans feel after the next two drafts. It's fun to live it up today after mortgaging the future. Not so fun paying that mortgage.

Aven8

Reaction score
Dude is legit. Best route runner I’ve seen around here in ages. We are lucky.