On Draft Day, what really happens?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
In terms of which of the 3 get their choice of picks, where and when? Offense/Defense/Special Teams***

So we're on the clock, I understand that there's a board of players that are listed and ranked from whatever level to whatever level. How is it presented so that group of our team gets the pick in a round? I wonder how much lobbying they have to do to Jerry, i'm sure Will McClay has the final word before Jerry since it's his department to scout all of these players. Does anyone have any idea of how things go on draft day?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are highly unlikely to have 24 players with 1st round grades. So they have to decide which player they like of the top names on their board.

Then there are possible trade proposals. Is someone dropping and consider possibly moving up? Are there a group they like with equal grades and consider possibly moving down?

There is much we don't know. Are they picking off their draft board? Are they picking for immediate impact? Are they picking for need? Are they picking based on which agent the players have?

It's a very fluid situation and it changes literally from pick to pick. It's all part of the draft day drama that draws us all in.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Will McClay has most certainly has had an impact on how things are done in preparation for the draft. And when it comes to having the final word, I'm not sure if it's more a collective show of hands rather than a final decision maker. We know Jerry was that final decision maker in the past, but as his gotten older I think he's allowed himself to trust the scouting department and the coaches in what they are saying. Of course, there has been some head scratching picks in the last few years, but overall, the Cowboys have been a better drafting team. The 2nd round seems to be the Achillies heal, and possibly that's where Jerry pushes harder for his say...and pounds the table for a TE . And just to keep the old dog satisfied Jr. throws him a bone.
The later rounds are where we have seen the biggest influence by the scouting department. And we fans have started to trust in those late picks to blossom. even though we know the chances are slim.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys are highly unlikely to have 24 players with 1st round grades. So they have to decide which player they like of the top names on their board.

Then there are possible trade proposals. Is someone dropping and consider possibly moving up? Are there a group they like with equal grades and consider possibly moving down?

There is much we don't know. Are they picking off their draft board? Are they picking for immediate impact? Are they picking for need? Are they picking based on which agent the players have?

It's a very fluid situation and it changes literally from pick to pick. It's all part of the draft day drama that draws us all in.
When you don't plug holes in free agency, I find it hard to believe that you will draft best player available.

phildadon86

Reaction score
In terms of which of the 3 get their choice of picks, where and when? Offense/Defense/Special Teams***

So we're on the clock, I understand that there's a board of players that are listed and ranked from whatever level to whatever level. How is it presented so that group of our team gets the pick in a round? I wonder how much lobbying they have to do to Jerry, i'm sure Will McClay has the final word before Jerry since it's his department to scout all of these players. Does anyone have any idea of how things go on draft day?
They are taking RB in round one because they leaked that they love brooks and think another team will take him before their pick in the second. Which isn’t true but they think everyone believes they are so smart they have to outsmart them. Meanwhile, they are only outsmarting themselves

Chasing6

Reaction score
They are taking RB in round one because they leaked that they love brooks and think another team will take him before their pick in the second. Which isn’t true but they think everyone believes they are so smart they have to outsmart them. Meanwhile, they are only outsmarting themselves
Sure and he will do amazing with no Center and LT. It will be a genius move to pick a RB in the first round when the RB position is deflated.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys will sit at 24. They're not moving up. Trading back is not out of the question.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We draft OL no matter who is available…and likely pass on a better player. The Cowboys special!

Sydla

Reaction score
We are using one of our first two picks on a RB.

LOL.