On the 4th down calls

Cmac

Reaction score
Are we going to excuse the plays called for those short yardage plays, and the red zone plays called too?

droopdog7

Reaction score
To me, it is 4th and a yard. Everyone on the defense is stacked in the box ready to break heads for the run. Why not slip the TE out for a quick 5 yards? Every team does this, lines up head to head on 4th and short, like our line can get a yard against your line. With a running back like Zeke, the opponents are stacked like Pam Grier with a shotgun. I would line up like it is smash mouth time, then slip the TE out for a quick toss. Simple.
We ran six times and didn’t get a yard. Sure, we could have run something else (and still not gotten it), but we’re going to ignore that we ran six times and couldn’t get a yard. That’s execution.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Well, let me put it this way: Do you think we'd be 5-1 with Garrett?
Two things. Garret had several winning seasons, including winning 13 games (not sure laundry ever did that and don’t think jimmy did either). So yeah, garret could do 5-1.

Second, the Hc coach get is the head coach so he gets the umtimate credit for wins and losses. After all, they go on his record right? They don’t go in the coordinator record.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How can you say you’d go every day of the week with a straight face when the previous two times we didn’t make it? Seems disingenuous or oblivious.

This offense should convert a 1 yard first down way more than they don't. How they struggle so badly with these is beyond me.
But I do agree with the poster who said he would go for that situation every time. If this is the strength of your team, you gotta take the chance to put the game away. IMO.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So there were I think four fourth down calls that could have gone either way, and of course many fans killing McCarthy over the decisions, but wondering how would people have gone under the circumstances.

I would not have gone on the first possession.

I would have gone on fourth and goal

I would not have gone on the missed fg with a few mins left

I would not have gone on the tying fg

Yeah, I know he tends to get killed on these decisions, and yeah, he is absolutely a maverick. But I agree on 3 of 4 of the decisions. What about others?

strep away from the keyboard unplug the or turn off this device and take breath and remember you are NOT A COACH for A PRO Sports franchise with A SB win and few visits to the Championship games and now leading a 5-1 close top 6-0 teams..umm kkk??:rolleyes:o_O

you aren't a coach if you listen to the media responses on all the shows they are 50/50 no one can agree it depends on the mindset of the coach in live games and half the Tuesday morning qbs say they would have made all the calls the way MM did. lets not criticize a coach whos on 5 game win streak and knows what hes doing , rights or wrong, hes coaching on instinct and again they may not all be the best decisions by the book or against grain but hes not stupid.

Ive watched a lot of the play calls over in Charger land, they do a lot of the same things and this is younger coach from winning tree.

you all act lie this guy rolled out of bed and forgot who he is, he hasnt ..

he believes these are the best decisions..only thing we can hope is he also like players go back and review all these moments and say well maybe ill do that differently next time and make adjustments.

fans have ZERO business questions a SB winning coach who is 5-1 really 2 points from being undefeated. His team is a top 5 NFL team right now..

Im sure he'd like few back. JUST Like players you know who all make mistakes while playing, but you have to be in the game while bullets' are flying and try being in this mans head/shoes.

yes some seem odd, we maybe not agree with them but hes not ignorant , stupid, a moron or any other word ive heard, he knew and knows exactly why he does what he does while doing it..
:popcorn::oldcouple:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
So there were I think four fourth down calls that could have gone either way, and of course many fans killing McCarthy over the decisions, but wondering how would people have gone under the circumstances.

Yeah, I know he tends to get killed on these decisions, and yeah, he is absolutely a maverick. But I agree on 3 of 4 of the decisions. What about others?

Greg isn't hitting 50+ yarders well. The field goal with 2:12 was a tough call. I personally would have gone for it factoring in Greg's leg and time left with timeouts. Everything else I agree with you on.

Texasfootball21

Reaction score
Anywhere near the 50 yardline and beyond on 4 and 1 with Zeke and this Juggernaut of an Offense, I'm going for it everytime. It seems to keep our opponents on there heals and Yes we're that darn good this season.
Let's Go Cowboys!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Two things. Garret had several winning seasons, including winning 13 games (not sure laundry ever did that and don’t think jimmy did either). So yeah, garret could do 5-1.

Second, the Hc coach get is the head coach so he gets the umtimate credit for wins and losses. After all, they go on his record right? They don’t go in the coordinator record.
???

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Greg isn't hitting 50+ yarders well. The field goal with 2:12 was a tough call. I personally would have gone for it factoring in Greg's leg and time left with timeouts. Everything else I agree with you on.
I was hoping he'd go for it, rather than try the FG. That was one case where I was saying, "Wait, you go for it in your own territory at the start, but now you'd rather attempt an unlikely FG?"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In spite of his disgustingly poor game management.
At times, yes. But the fact remains that he's the guy responsible for the wins and losses, because he's the guy delegating responsibilities and making decisions. Ergo, he can't be that bad.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The 4th down on the first drive was a good call, just like last week. They didn't convert it but you have to try to do something when you lose the coin toss and receive the ball first. The goal is to try to get points on the board first when you get the opening kickoff. A quick offensive series and punting and you immediately lose the advantage. 4th and short, you have to be confident in your offense's ability to pick it up.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I would not have gone for that one.. Early in the game you don't know how well their dline or your olline is going to play that day. You found out on that plat that their interior line was too strong for us.. Maybe he thought that early in the game was as good a time as any to find that out.. but frankly not at that point on the field..

I agree.. since you had actually scored on the 3rd down play there was no reason to believe you couldn't score again.. At some point you expect the refs to get one right...

Something about that one felt wrong.. but again.. you were losing the line of scrimmage on most inside runs... so I was mostly okay and if you did go for it throwing it would be the way to go. Or bootleg Dak out and let him get it if nobody comes open.

Nor would I.. for the same reason as before.. Losing the line of scrimmage.. too much at stake..

The only one I really had a problem with was the first one.. Because you didn't know what you didn't know as far as how the game would play out. Losing that bet gave them early life.. which you never want to do against an inferior team.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I hate going for it deep in our own territory, especially on our first drive. That cost us terrible field position and a lost challenge.

That should never happen again.

The other fourth down calls could go either way.

Time-outs need to be cleaned up of course.

conner01

Reaction score

I get going on first 4Th even at the field position
At that time they hadn’t stuffed you repeatedly
The missed FG is likely good if blocking was better, it was almost blocked
4th and goal inside the one you have to go though I thought we scored on 3rd down