Twitter: On Wagner, Clarence Hill Jr. says Dallas no longer in sweepstakes

Rayman70

Reaction score
I will say this, if we fail in signing a FA linebacker, this draft is fairly deep at the position. Much quality. I like Devin Lloyd. I think he will slide and we might be able to move back up into the bottom of round 1 and get him. I think thats why we are trying to amass draft picks via trades.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I will say this, if we fail in signing a FA linebacker, this draft is fairly deep at the position. Much quality. I like Devin Lloyd. I think he will slide and we might be able to move back up into the bottom of round 1 and get him. I think thats why we are trying to amass draft picks via trades.
I think he and Dean may fall because of how deep the position is this year. I hope we can grab him or Dean early and oline.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think he and Dean may fall because of how deep the position is this year. I hope we can grab him or Dean early and oline.
100% agree with this. Its a great year if ya need a linebacker. We are def, thin there. I'm not going to go nuts if we miss signing Wagner. I luv him, but hes still 32. Even if we did sign him, I'm drafting a linebacker as well. Yes we have Cox, but hes coming off injury. He has an uphill battle to just make it to camp.We need warm bodies at the position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if we want a Sean Lee type. We can draft LB Jack Sanborn in the mid to late rounds and I promise ya, he will push to get real playing time. He's a heady tackling machine.

conner01

Reaction score
He'll get more money elsewhere, that's not a shocker.

But if he wants to win a championship, Dallas is the place to... well, never mind.
It’s not possible to sign top position contracts and that’s what he’s gonna get
Half the league won’t be able to but almost every team would like to have him

conner01

Reaction score
100% agree with this. Its a great year if ya need a linebacker. We are def, thin there. I'm not going to go nuts if we miss signing Wagner. I luv him, but hes still 32. Even if we did sign him, I'm drafting a linebacker as well. Yes we have Cox, but hes coming off injury. He has an uphill battle to just make it to camp.We need warm bodies at the position.
Hope so
We need a couple of LB
Basically we have cox and Micah
If Dlaw or Gregory leave Micah will be on the edge much more so we need players
And we can upgrade a Francis or Gifford
We might be able to add 2 quality LB this year without using 2 high picks. The depth could be well into 4th round

Carson

Reaction score
that’s a lot of $$$ lost to the govt.

We can underbid and still match offers.
We will have to overpay.

His home is there. His family is there. His kids go likely go to school out there. He's been paid and made plenty of $$ over the year. A few million to some isn't worth packing up and moving.

I hope I am wrong. Wagner makes this defense elite.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hope so
We need a couple of LB
Basically we have cox and Micah
If Dlaw or Gregory leave Micah will be on the edge much more so we need players
And we can upgrade a Francis or Gifford
its a sneaky need LB that isnt getting hardly any pub. For the reasons^ u stated. I like my pet cat Jack Sanborn in the mid to late rounds. Tackling machine Sean Lee mold.

Carson

Reaction score
its a sneaky need LB that isnt getting hardly any pub. For the reasons^ u stated. I like my pet cat Jack Sanborn in the mid to late rounds. Tackling machine Sean Lee mold.
IMO, we re-sign Hitchens. We draft 1-2 linebackers and the rest are UDFA.

Quinn essentially runs this defense in the nickel formation. He goes away from having traditional 3 down linebackers at all three spots.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Oh I’m with you totally. Even if we signed Wagner that doesn’t stop us from going linebacker early on. The uncertainty with cox and Wagner age. Wouldn’t you want a young kid to pair with Micah for years to come? How the Niners w bowman and Willis. The ravens with ray and Suggs. I know they weren’t all young when coming together but it would be damn nice to have a pair of stud linebackers patrolling.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think if we draft Burks at 24, we will regret it. The team has dire needs at oline and at linebacker. Are we then saying we don't think Ceedee is a number 1 guy if we draft Burks at 24? The optics of that are stunning. I don't see us doing that for that reasoning.

Rayman70

Reaction score
when we cut Collins this week, that's $10 mill we can use on Wagner.
wrong actually. We wouldn't save that amount unless hes a June 1 cut. We only save 1.2 mill if we cut or trade him now. Wagner will be signed way before then.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree
Don’t know sanborn but tackling is the primary job
LB is a position that even in the 4th round has a high rate of making a team and becoming a starter
Some positions really drop off fast from round to round but LB doesn’t

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

This, even if sign Wagner do not think everything is all of a sudden great at LB.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Jerry - Hey Dan, what do ya'll need to be a dominant defense?
Quinn - Bobby Wagner

I feel it in my bones. This gets done by Thursday.

Carson

Reaction score
Jerry - Hey Dan, what do ya'll need to be a dominant defense?
Quinn - Bobby Wagner

I feel it in my bones. This gets done by Thursday.
It’s going to be hard.

LA - his home and the Chargers and Rams are buyers.

Denver - back with Russ

irishline

Reaction score
wrong actually. We wouldn't save that amount unless hes a June 1 cut. We only save 1.2 mill if we cut or trade him now. Wagner will be signed way before then.

You can use that money to pay your draft picks when they sign in June, freeing up more money now (aka your draft slotted pool). So in a way yes it could be used to sign him or someone else.

You can designate him a post june 1 cut cant you?

You can designate 2 players a June 1st cuts prior to June 1st, but you still do not get the cap money to use until June 1st (it remains on the books until that day).