CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jessica Camacho
Q5rGZTn.jpg

All Rise

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is there a glitch in the CZ system? Lately, when I click on a notification, it often takes me to a post 3 or 4 posts above the one for which I received the notification. I think it happens on both my phone and my laptop, but I haven't actually paid much attention to that yet. Anyone else experiencing this?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a glitch in the CZ system? Lately, when I click on a notification, it often takes me to a post 3 or 4 posts above the one for which I received the notification. I think it happens on both my phone and my laptop, but I haven't actually paid much attention to that yet. Anyone else experiencing this?
What I am about to say is only my opinion. I have noticed the same thing for some time but have not mentioned it to Reality because I *think* I am right and it is not too much of a big deal for me personally.

Let me ask two questions based off my hypothesis. First, does your landing spot, after clicking a notification, seem to happen the first time each day you visit that particular webpage where the notification sends you but not necessarily during any other time you are sent to the same webpage by another notification? Second, do the instances tend to occur when there are images on that particular webpage that are larger than what can be viewed? In other words, you must scroll a pic in order to look at it in its entirety?

Here is my unscientific theory. Internet browsers (i.e. Edge, Chrome, Safari, etc.) load images into a webpage and into its memory cache. It looks instantaneous the first time and a pic looks like it pops into existence on the webpage--filling space on the screen. It does not happen the same way the next time since the pic loads into the browser memory cache.

The forum software is set where a pic's width automatically fits the horizontal dimension of a screen. For example, a 2500x2500 (width x height) pixel image might get reduced to 1500x1500. Thus, the image does not expand beyond the right margin of the forum screen, squeezing and reducing the size and appearance of everything else to the left on the screen.

However, the pic's height may still be larger than the forum software's parameters. If so, the bottom portion of a 1500x1500 pic--say 700 pixels on the bottom half of the pic, would not appear completely because the pic does not fit! That is why it is necessary to scroll down to see the rest of a large sized pic.

A possible remedy may involve setting the forum software's pic parameter to a maximum height setting of 700 pixels (just a wild guess on my part). I believe the forum viewing area size for a 1920x1080 screen is about 980 pixels, so a height number less than that would make everything fit. For example, an original 2500x2500 sized pic would be auto-reduced to 700x700 pixels. It would not surprise me that Reality has already identified what has been happening and is planning on addressing it at his earliest convenience.

Back to the notification-to-post situation. If I am correct, clicking on a notification takes a user to a specific location on a webpage--where both a member's avatar and reply button are visible. Every part of the member's post can be seen and read. I think this is a set landing parameter location in the forum software.

My guess is that a large image PUSHES that set landing location either UP or DOWN the webpage UNTIL the browser remembers just how big the pic is and auto-loads it on subsequent visits to that particular webpage. I believe this may be the underlying reason for what might look like a glitch.

On a related topic, I try posting images by taking into account pixel width and height. If I link an image directly from another website (i.e. Google search, etc.), I first check the image size dimensions. Images that are as large as or less than 1500 pixels in width and 800 pixels in width get linked automatically.

Images larger than 1500 pixels in width or 800 pixels in height get resized and/or cropped if they exceed those maximums. I use free image editors like paint.net (laptop) and Image Resizer Free (app for cellphone and tablet) for making pick adjustments. Then I upload them to my free IMGUR account, get the link generated for the pic and post it on the forum instead. That is why my pics (should) always fit my posting area. :) Unless I create a graph with a lot of data as a pic that is too tall to fit. :(

Now that I think of it, Reality will auto-shrink the height of my super tall graphs after he addresses this. My data will end up being smaller than an ANT can read. :mad: :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What I am about to say is only my opinion. I have noticed the same thing for some time but have not mentioned it to Reality because I *think* I am right and it is not too much of a big deal for me personally.

Let me ask two questions based off my hypothesis. First, does your landing spot, after clicking a notification, seem to happen the first time each day you visit that particular webpage where the notification sends you but not necessarily during any other time you are sent to the same webpage by another notification? Second, do the instances tend to occur when there are images on that particular webpage that are larger than what can be viewed? In other words, you must scroll a pic in order to look at it in its entirety?

Here is my unscientific theory. Internet browsers (i.e. Edge, Chrome, Safari, etc.) load images into a webpage and into its memory cache. It looks instantaneous the first time and a pic looks like it pops into existence on the webpage--filling space on the screen. It does not happen the same way the next time since the pic loads into the browser memory cache.

The forum software is set where a pic's width automatically fits the horizontal dimension of a screen. For example, a 2500x2500 (width x height) pixel image might get reduced to 1500x1500. Thus, the image does not expand beyond the right margin of the forum screen, squeezing and reducing the size and appearance of everything else to the left on the screen.

However, the pic's height may still be larger than the forum software's parameters. If so, the bottom portion of a 1500x1500 pic--say 700 pixels on the bottom half of the pic, would not appear completely because the pic does not fit! That is why it is necessary to scroll down to see the rest of a large sized pic.

A possible remedy may involve setting the forum software's pic parameter to a maximum height setting of 700 pixels (just a wild guess on my part). I believe the forum viewing area size for a 1920x1080 screen is about 980 pixels, so a height number less than that would make everything fit. For example, an original 2500x2500 sized pic would be auto-reduced to 700x700 pixels. It would not surprise me that Reality has already identified what has been happening and is planning on addressing it at his earliest convenience.

Back to the notification-to-post situation. If I am correct, clicking on a notification takes a user to a specific location on a webpage--where both a member's avatar and reply button are visible. Every part of the member's post can be seen and read. I think this is a set landing parameter location in the forum software.

My guess is that a large image PUSHES that set landing location either UP or DOWN the webpage UNTIL the browser remembers just how big the pic is and auto-loads it on subsequent visits to that particular webpage. I believe this may be the underlying reason for what might look like a glitch.

On a related topic, I try posting images by taking into account pixel width and height. If I link an image directly from another website (i.e. Google search, etc.), I first check the image size dimensions. Images that are as large as or less than 1500 pixels in width and 800 pixels in width get linked automatically.

Images larger than 1500 pixels in width or 800 pixels in height get resized and/or cropped if they exceed those maximums. I use free image editors like paint.net (laptop) and Image Resizer Free (app for cellphone and tablet) for making pick adjustments. Then I upload them to my free IMGUR account, get the link generated for the pic and post it on the forum instead. That is why my pics (should) always fit my posting area. :) Unless I create a graph with a lot of data as a pic that is too tall to fit. :(

Now that I think of it, Reality will auto-shrink the height of my super tall graphs after he addresses this. My data will end up being smaller than an ANT can read. :mad: :laugh:
You could have just said, "I don't know."

J/K - First, I haven't noticed whether it's the first time I go to the web page, but I don't believe it is. It may be the first time I go to a particular page via the notification link, but I don't think even that's the case.

As for the size of the images being the cause, if you mean other people's posts causing the phenomenon, maybe, but I try to keep my images to where they can be seen in full without scrolling. Sometimes that means deleting the picture I originally posted, and going back to Imgur to click "Large Thumbnail" or even "Medium Thumbnail".

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back to my prior query, I just clicked on this thread (not even on a notification link) and it took me to the middle of post #204. Are you thinking it's because those images are so big?
One of the forum's defaults is either taking someone to last post read in any particular thread or the oldest unread post that has already been posted in a thread. I am guessing the post you should have been directed to is #207 but one or more of the large pics in post #204 pushed #207 down the page.

Got a suggestion. Try clearing your browser memory cache and check in this or another thread later. That might have some effect.