One Conference Draft Challenge

BlueStarDude

Reaction score
Great idea. This was fun. Thanks.

Hard to figure out where some of these guys are going to go in the draft (Gilyard and McCourty especially vary wildly depending which site you look at), and I would have liked to fit in a good guard/center prospect, but oh well. . .

___________All Big East Draft____________

1 - Anthony Davis, T, Rutgers
The best Big East player in this year's draft. I still don't see Doug Free as the future at left tackle and this would take care of that problem. We'd almost certainly have to trade up to get Davis, but you never know: nobody thought Marcus McNeil was going to fall as far as he did back in '06.

2 - Arthur Jones, DE/NT, Syracuse
Syracuse NT, a TFL machine on an otherwise bad team, and a first-round talent whose stock is uncertain because of injury concerns. Could backup Ratliff while being groomed to take over for Spears.

3 - Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati
The bottom of the third round seems a little low for him, but concerns about his ability to hold up on the pro level will likely knock him down a bit. Was second in the nation in KO return yards and fourth in average. Could eventually be the receiver the offense is looking for to stretch the field.

4 - Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
Considered a better prospect than his brother Jason, a sixth-round pick by the Titans last year. An excellent special teams player, who can add depth behind Newman, Jenkins, and Scandrick, and maybe make sure Ball is able to focus on backing up free safety.

6 - Marcus Easley, WR, Connecticut
Was the Husky's version of Mils Austin, coming out of "nowhere" mid-season and ending up with 48 receptions, 894 yards (18.6 avg), and 8 TDs. Looked like a not-so-poor man's Hakim Nicks. Would likely need a few seasons to acclimate to the pro game but until then he's another good special teams player.

7 - Ryan D'Imperio, ILB, Rutgers
Could challenge for a backup role, but more likely we're looking at the practice squad here.

DFWJC

Reaction score
windward;3248710 said:
Also my All-state of Texas draft

1. Earl Thomas S-Texas
2 Lamarr Houston DT-Texas
3. Jamar Wall CB-Texas Tech
4. C JD Walton- Baylor
6 Brandon Carter OG Texas Tech
7.Tony Washington T-Abilene Christian
Earl at 27...unrealistic. Houston at 59? Too high

Your WAC/MWC draft ws better. :)

DFWJC

Reaction score
BlueStarDude;3248964 said:

Hard to figure out where some of these guys are going to go in the draft (Gilyard and McCourty especially vary wildly depending which site you look at), and I would have liked to fit in a good guard/center prospect, but oh well. . .

The best Big East player in this year's draft. I still don't see Doug Free as the future at left tackle and this would take care of that problem. We'd almost certainly have to trade up to get Davis, but you never know: nobody thought Marcus McNeil was going to fall as far as he did back in '06.

Syracuse NT, a TFL machine on an otherwise bad team, and a first-round talent whose stock is uncertain because of injury concerns. Could backup Ratliff while being groomed to take over for Spears.

The bottom of the third round seems a little low for him, but concerns about his ability to hold up on the pro level will likely knock him down a bit. Was second in the nation in KO return yards and fourth in average. Could eventually be the receiver the offense is looking for to stretch the field.

Considered a better prospect than his brother Jason, a sixth-round pick by the Titans last year. An excellent special teams player, who can add depth behind Newman, Jenkins, and Scandrick, and maybe make sure Ball is able to focus on backing up free safety.

Was the Husky's version of Mils Austin, coming out of "nowhere" mid-season and ending up with 48 receptions, 894 yards (18.6 avg), and 8 TDs. Looked like a not-so-poor man's Hakim Nicks. Would likely need a few seasons to acclimate to the pro game but until then he's another good special teams player.

Could challenge for a backup role, but more likely we're looking at the practice squad here.
It was a good idea, but you guys are cheating. :D ...picking guys 15-30 slots lower than expected. But you never know, things do change after the combines--maybe Davis, Gilyard and Jones all end up falling out of favor or something.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BlueStarDude;3248964 said:

See I did a quick glance through as I was going to do a big east one.

Hard to find players that fit needs and where to rank them.

I was not going to use Anthony Davis as I did not think he would fall to our slot.

I did pick M.Gilyard and Arthur Jones as ones I was going to use.

Some names I had on my potential list that you do not have in your mock.

Selvish Capers OT from WVU but he would fit more for a zone blocking scheme. Actually this is a player I think the Skins might target for the type of OL that Shanahan might want to build.

I thought we might get lucky and get George Selvie from USF as an OLB prospect. I know he had a down year and that was what made me think he would fall to the lower rounds. I think he could be great depth but we already have some prospects there. Either way I think if he fell far enough it would be worth taking him.

I also had Alric Arnett, WVU WR, I think he has the potential to be a good depth WR in the league. His numbers do not stand out from WVU but they were not a big passing team. He is the type of player that I think will be better in the pros than in College. I have read some reports from the Senior bowl practices that he has really been doing a great job.

BlueStarDude

Reaction score
DFWJC;3249408 said:
It was a good idea, but you guys are cheating. :D ...picking guys 15-30 slots lower than expected. But you never know, things do change after the combines--maybe Davis, Gilyard and Jones all end up falling out of favor or something.

Lol, not so much cheating as trying to force players (from a conference with a less than stellar overall crop of prospects) we can actually use into slots anywhere remotely close to where they might go (NFLDraftScout.com actually has Gilyard and Jones both rated as 3rd rounders, IIRC). You're right, though: Davis has a good chance at being a top 10 pick, almost no way we get him.

BlueStarDude

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3249610 said:
See I did a quick glance through as I was going to do a big east one.

Hard to find players that fit needs and where to rank them.

I was not going to use Anthony Davis as I did not think he would fall to our slot.

I did pick M.Gilyard and Arthur Jones as ones I was going to use.

Some names I had on my potential list that you do not have in your mock.

Selvish Capers OT from WVU but he would fit more for a zone blocking scheme. Actually this is a player I think the Skins might target for the type of OL that Shanahan might want to build.

I thought we might get lucky and get George Selvie from USF as an OLB prospect. I know he had a down year and that was what made me think he would fall to the lower rounds. I think he could be great depth but we already have some prospects there. Either way I think if he fell far enough it would be worth taking him.

I also had Alric Arnett, WVU WR, I think he has the potential to be a good depth WR in the league. His numbers do not stand out from WVU but they were not a big passing team. He is the type of player that I think will be better in the pros than in College. I have read some reports from the Senior bowl practices that he has really been doing a great job.

Thoughtful response. I would love to see Selvie do well in the NFL, but his big year was really 07, I just wouldn't want to spend a pick on him in the range where he's still likely to go (I miss being able to say "first day pick" to designate the first three rounds: that was awfully convenient!)

I agree with your assessment of Capers. He has something to offer, but he's not a really good fit for us.

I've seen the reports from the Shrine practices about Arnett, but, FWIW, I think what I saw out of Easley during the season would put him ahead of Arnett.

Looking at this again, I guess if you ignore Davis as the first pick and then bump the others up (maybe trading down and then taking Jones) it could actually be somewhat realistic, though it wouldn't get us enough o-line help.

1. Jones
2. Gilyard
3. Selvie? Capers?
4. McCourty
6. Easley
7. D'Imperio

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
OK, if nobody's gonna try a Big XII draft, I'll take a shot at it... I'll be working with the NFLDS ratings...

For openers, I'm trading down with the first round pick, for a second and a third... my reasoning is that the best first round prospects from the conference are all likely to be off the board by the time the Boys pick at 27... so I won't "cheat", and I'll try to match my picks with team needs...

SECOND ROUND

Jordan Shipley, WR/KR, Texas...
Lamarr Houston, NT, Texas...

Shipley is one of my pet cats, and I think he'd be a fine slot receiver in the Boys' offense... he'd also replace Crayton as the punt returner... Houston is a poor man's Jay Ratliff, undersized but very active on the nose... Lamarr and Jay would make the Boys bulletproof at NT...

THIRD ROUND

Larry Asante, SS, Nebraska...
JD Walton, C, Baylor

The Boys add a physical safety from a very good defense, and a quality backup at center for Gurode... I thought seriously about Roddrick Muckelroy, the outside linebacker from Texas here, but decided these two were better fits for the Boys...

FOURTH ROUND

Brian Jackson, CB, Oklahoma...

I think Brian might be a half-step slow to play CB in the NFL, but I think he could make a seamless transition to FS... he also takes a physical approach to playing his position...

FIFTH ROUND

Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas...

An intriguing tackle prospect to groom for the future...

SIXTH ROUND

Brandon Banks, WR/KR, Kansas State...

A little waterbug with extraodinary speed...

SEVENTH ROUND

Hunter Lawrence, K, Texas...

A career 85 per cent field goal kicker for the Horns, let him compete to be the Boys' starting kicker...

Hey, wait a sec, I've made 8 picks here, but only have 4 Longhorns... I'll have to reconsider... :D

So, what do you think, would this draft work for you?? In the real world, I'd like to address the OL earlier than I have here, but again, I was working from just the Big XII...

BlueStarDude

Reaction score
silverbear;3250450 said:
OK, if nobody's gonna try a Big XII draft, I'll take a shot at it... I'll be working with the NFLDS ratings...

For openers, I'm trading down with the first round pick, for a second and a third... my reasoning is that the best first round prospects from the conference are all likely to be off the board by the time the Boys pick at 27... so I won't "cheat", and I'll try to match my picks with team needs...

SECOND ROUND

Jordan Shipley, WR/KR, Texas...
Lamarr Houston, NT, Texas...

Shipley is one of my pet cats, and I think he'd be a fine slot receiver in the Boys' offense... he'd also replace Crayton as the punt returner... Houston is a poor man's Jay Ratliff, undersized but very active on the nose... Lamarr and Jay would make the Boys bulletproof at NT...

THIRD ROUND

Larry Asante, SS, Nebraska...
JD Walton, C, Baylor

The Boys add a physical safety from a very good defense, and a quality backup at center for Gurode... I thought seriously about Roddrick Muckelroy, the outside linebacker from Texas here, but decided these two were better fits for the Boys...

FOURTH ROUND

Brian Jackson, CB, Oklahoma...

I think Brian might be a half-step slow to play CB in the NFL, but I think he could make a seamless transition to FS... he also takes a physical approach to playing his position...

FIFTH ROUND

Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas...

An intriguing tackle prospect to groom for the future...

SIXTH ROUND

Brandon Banks, WR/KR, Kansas State...

A little waterbug with extraodinary speed...

SEVENTH ROUND

Hunter Lawrence, K, Texas...

A career 85 per cent field goal kicker for the Horns, let him compete to be the Boys' starting kicker...

Hey, wait a sec, I've made 8 picks here, but only have 4 Longhorns... I'll have to reconsider... :D

So, what do you think, would this draft work for you?? In the real world, I'd like to address the OL earlier than I have here, but again, I was working from just the Big XII...

That would work for me. Shipley, Houston, and the center from Baylor. That's a pretty good haul. I'd be more excited than I was last year that's for sure.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3248280 said:
I might have to throw up. We take RW31 the second and we don't get an olineman until the 6th round?

NO.:D

Dont insult RW31 that way, he was EONS better a football player and was a consistent playmaker. Mays has never made any plays.

Mays wont even be a safety when all is said and done IMO, he'll move to OLB like Thomas Dvais did. The guys total lack of coverage skills will kill a team back there.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3248565 said:
I was going to go with the SEC and saw most of them were from Alabama so I just picked them

Alabama
1st-Terrance Cody DT
2nd-Javier Arenas CB
3rd-Mike Johnson OG
4th-Brandon Deadrick DE
6th- Anthony Peek TE
7th-Justin Woodall SS

Would any of you really be upset with that draft? lol.Im down with an Alabama draft!

I wouldnt touch Cody with a ten foot pole, give me McClain instead.