News: One contract change could improve Patriots' chances of acquiring DeAndre Hopkins

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

One contract change could improve Patriots' chances of acquiring DeAndre Hopkins

Jordy McElroy | PatriotsWire/USA Today
February 16, 2023 1:46 pm ET

One of the biggest potential hang-ups involving a possible DeAndre Hopkins trade to the New England Patriots is no longer an issue.

Hopkins originally had a no trade clause in his contract, which would have made things interesting if the Patriots tried to initiate a trade with the Arizona Cardinals.

The Patriots’ newly-hired offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien was the head coach for the Houston Texans when Hopkins was shipped away to the Cardinals in a trade in 2020. Hopkins himself may or may not have an issue with working with O’Brien again, but there have been some concerns that he might veto any trade to the Patriots in hopes of steering clear of his former coach.

However, as CBS Sports’ Joel Curry noted, Hopkins’ no trade clause was voided when he violated the NFL’s performance-enhancing substance policy and was subsequently suspended for the first six games of the 2022 season.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopkins? Paired with CeeDee Lamb?? Are you kidding me???

This would be the type of blockbuster player acquisition that a qualified, knowledgeable general manager would find a way of pulling off.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

This would be the type of blockbuster player acquisition that a qualified, knowledgeable general manager would find a way of pulling off.
Unfortunately, that probably precludes these guys from even entertaining the notion.

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's a significant risk.

He only played 9 games in 2022 and 10 in 2021 due to injuries.
- That's concerning considering that he'll be 31 for the 2023 season.

The risk/reward all depends on what draft pick would be required to get him.

It has to be compared againt signed a free agent without giving up any picks.
- Keenan Allen might be a cap cut and it would only require money to acquire him.

Also, I think the Texans will realize that they're not going to get more than a 4th (maybe less) for Brandin Cooks.
- They don't want to keep him due at 18M but his salary is guaranteed which means they must trade him and the salary goes to the new team.