One Little Bittie Concern....NT

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
So who is our backup NT......Ratliff?.....Johnson?.....or yet to be determined?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Thomas Johnson would be the backup but after that we have no one since we cut Montavious Stanley.

I am hopeful that Parcells is looking for a guy to be released that he can bring in for additional depth because we are very thin at the position and it is key to the 3-4. We might still bring Stanley back too if he clears waivers. I expect him to end up on the PS anyway.

Manster68

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Thomas Johnson would be the backup but after that we have no one since we cut Montavious Stanley.

I am hopeful that Parcells is looking for a guy to be released that he can bring in for additional depth because we are very thin at the position and it is key to the 3-4. We might still bring Stanley back too if he clears waivers. I expect him to end up on the PS anyway.

I have heard talk that Ratliff and Spears can move inside if needed in a pinch.

Murph80

Reaction score
We need one of those big tub of lards in the middle. Like Ted Washington or Sam Adams types to clog things up.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
We need one of those big tub of lards in the middle. Like Ted Washington or Sam Adams types to clog things up.
That just isn't the type of NT that our head coach looks for, he wants guys in shape in the 310 range.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The one thing I agreed with Nors on...LA would have made a killer NT for us. LA, take the center and drive him straight through to the QB...Okay coach.

sbark

Reaction score
how do we pry Pat williams out of the vikes cold dead fingers.....they need ....a wr maybe a rb, now a db possibly

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pepper
Ratlif
Spears

Those are all short term answers. Should Ferg go down we wouldn't be in a good position.

ghst187

Reaction score
sbark said:
how do we pry Pat williams out of the vikes cold dead fingers.....they need ....a wr maybe a rb, now a db possibly

not sure why we didn't sign Pat instead of Fergi in the first place...that was dumb...oh wait, Parcells has a love affair with ex-Jets and players he drafted.
Pat Williams was one of the first names that came to mind when I read we were going 3-4.
There have been a good number of other 3-4 pluggers out there in FA, mostly older guys, but I've never understood why we refused to look at any of them. Esp if the position is such a concern.
I also don't know why BP insists on going with lightweight speedbump NTs (300-312) instead of getting a true firehydrant plugger in the 320-350 range.
I remember Siragusa, Sam Adams, and Grady Jackson being flat out immovable over the Center yet we've never shown any interest in big fat guys. Seems like we're refusing the obvious right answer and trying to handle it with a lesser plan.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
not sure why we didn't sign Pat instead of Fergi in the first place...that was dumb...oh wait, Parcells has a love affair with ex-Jets and players he drafted.
Pat Williams was one of the first names that came to mind when I read we were going 3-4.
There have been a good number of other 3-4 pluggers out there in FA, mostly older guys, but I've never understood why we refused to look at any of them. Esp if the position is such a concern.
I also don't know why BP insists on going with lightweight speedbump NTs (300-312) instead of getting a true firehydrant plugger in the 320-350 range.
I remember Siragusa, Sam Adams, and Grady Jackson being flat out immovable over the Center yet we've never shown any interest in big fat guys. Seems like we're refusing the obvious right answer and trying to handle it with a lesser plan.
This is Parcells defense! He has been running it for years and has won two Superbowls with it! He knows what kind of players fit the system better than anyone in the world...after all he is a HoF Coach! If he says we need big guys who are in shape instead of huge guys who are fat and slow then that must be what we need!

I just thought I'd throw that in there before someone else does...it's sure to come. Here...Have Some Koolaid.... :D

ghst187

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This is Parcells defense! He has been running it for years and has won two Superbowls with it! He knows what kind of players fit the system better than anyone in the world...after all he is a HoF Coach! If he says we need big guys who are in shape instead of huge guys who are fat and slow then that must be what we need!

I just thought I'd throw that in there before someone else does...it's sure to come. Here...Have Some Koolaid.... :D

not in the last decade...since players have gotten bigger, faster, stronger, better...

I agree with your points, but we keep complaining how our NT is getting knocked off the ball and not holding ground....yet we insist on putting a lightweight guy over center. A lot of centers weigh as much as the guy we're putting over him and most guards nowadays outweigh our NTs. How in the world is a guy who is outweighed and double-teamed supposed to hold the point of attack? JMO

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
not in the last decade...since players have gotten bigger, faster, stronger, better...

I agree with your points, but we keep complaining how our NT is getting knocked off the ball and not holding ground....yet we insist on putting a lightweight guy over center. A lot of centers weigh as much as the guy we're putting over him and most guards nowadays outweigh our NTs. How in the world is a guy who is outweighed and double-teamed supposed to hold the point of attack? JMO

To please both Parcells and some of us fans We simply need to find one of those big suckers to hold down the middle that's fast, quick, and atheletic. ;)

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Jarv said:
The one thing I agreed with Nors on...LA would have made a killer NT for us. LA, take the center and drive him straight through to the QB...Okay coach.

Quite possible.

But he'd be what, a $7 million NT? Is there such a thing?

JonCJG

Reaction score
After looking at our PS I hope we are trading for somebody.

dwmyers

Reaction score
The more I think about this, if we had Ferguson get nicked and Pepper get tired, the simplest fix is to play some 4-3 or 4-2 nickel.

I haven't heard anyone say that Spears is undersized for a 4-3 DT or Ratliff, for that matter.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
dwmyers said:
The more I think about this, if we had Ferguson get nicked and Pepper get tired, the simplest fix is to play some 4-3 or 4-2 nickel.

I haven't heard anyone say that Spears is undersized for a 4-3 DT or Ratliff, for that matter.

Ratliff before his injury played some 4 man fronts last season. No doubt Spears could.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Ratliff before his injury played some 4 man fronts last season. No doubt Spears could.

I believe in a press conference a week or so back Bill mentioned that Ratliff could play some nose if needed. Most of the DEs can play inside in 4 man fronts.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ghst187 said:

Williams looks good because he plays in a 4-3 -- that gives him more shots at making plays Also, he's got a great DT next to him who is the offense's primary concern - Williams ends up single teamed far far more than Ferguson does.