[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] And the winner is ... one man's Heisman ballot

257.gif
Dec. 7, 2004
By Dennis Dodd
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Dennis your opinion [font=Arial, Helvetica]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]
There is no "i" in team, but there is one in Heisman.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] That's why I'm getting personal with my Heisman ballot. I e-mailed it to New York on Monday, making sure to take in Saturday's games in order to make one, final, careful evaluation of the talent. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] !
img7973743.jpg

PHOTOS: « PREV | NEXT »​

Jason White has a better pass efficiency than last year when he won the Heisman. (Getty Images)
I'm trying to understand why anyone voted for anybody but my top three. Yeah, yeah I know. This is supposed to be the closest vote ever. Those serious about winning the hardware already have dialed up Mack Brown to market them to voters.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] But, really, how can you go against my Big Three? It's obvious by now that Saturday's winner is going to come from the USC-Oklahoma stable. Utah and Alex Smith is fading from memory. Auburn is the nation's best team, but has no superstars. And, please, let's not get into the BCS argument again. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Remember the Heisman parameters: It is never necessarily the best player in the country. The pool of candidates shrinks when you consider that only major college stars need apply. In the past decade, eight of the 10 winners have come from the Big 12, ACC and Big Ten. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Television plays a huge part too with free promotion for players from those major conferences. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] So apply those asterisks when you see any ballot. This one just happens to be the best. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Adrian Peterson, RB, Fr., Oklahoma [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] The best freshman running back since Herschel Walker. When it's over, he'll probably be the best first-year runner ever. If he gets 21 yards in the Orange Bowl, Peterson will pass Walker's freshman record of 1,863 yards. Amazing. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] The best reason for choosing him: Oklahoma isn't undefeated and playing for the national championship unless Peterson is around. He surprised even coach Bob Stoops who knew he needed a better running attack. Good kid, even better athlete. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] The only barrier he faces now is freshman prejudice from voters. It would be sad if he can't clear it.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] Jason White, QB, Sr., Oklahoma [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] OK, so now you're figuring I'm in the tank for Oklahoma. Wrong. White was actually better this season than he was in 2003 when he won the hardware. [/font]

Advertisement !
[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Helped by Peterson and a veteran offensive line, White had plenty of time to pick out his receivers. With two healthy knees he was more mobile. White's 33 touchdowns were the second-most in I-A. That's saying something with Peterson running for almost 2,000 yards. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Counting last year, that's 73 touchdown passes in two seasons. That's 2.8 per game. That's also 19.6 points per game from White's arm alone. Wow. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Reggie Bush, TB, Soph., USC [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] The single most dangerous weapon in college football. I've been having this running argument with a colleague about Bush's impact on the game. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Him: He doesn't touch the ball enough to be a serious candidate. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Me: That's the point. He can change the game on any one play. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Him: Silence. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Isn't Bush what every team is looking for? A guy with sprinter's speed who can play three positions as well as return kicks and punts. Check out Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. He's a poor man's Bush, returning kicks for the Buckeyes while playing offense and defense. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Bush and Ginn are the wave of the future; superior athletes who are too good to keep at one position. Bush plays slot receiver, wide receiver and tailback. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Of the top 16 all-purpose runners, Bush is one of only five who have yardage in all four categories -- rushing, receiver, punt returns and kickoff returns. Among those 16, Bush is 15th in rushing, second in receiving, first in punt returns and third in kickoff returns. In other words, he's the most dangerous offensive player in college football. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Two examples why USC is undefeated. Bush caught three touchdown passes in the opener against Virginia Tech. His 336 all-purpose yards against UCLA basically got the Trojans into the Orange Bowl. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Me: Isn't that enough? [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica] Preferred response: Silence. [/font]

royhitshard

Reaction score
Those are my three picks with White leading the way. White wouldn't be where he is at this year without Peterson, and vice versa, but White commands the offense. He went 12-0 without any run help last year and now his stats are better. White will be missed at OU.