One Man's Point of View After Round 1

Verdict

Reaction score
I don’t follow the draft as closely as many of you do, but I do keep one eye on it. I’m a huge Oklahoma football fan, but am also realistic.

Before the draft I was led to believe that Guyton was not a sure thing but a player that had traits, and projected upside. My feeling at #24 was that there was probably a guy there with less risk (but possibly more upside) available, but that the team was willing to risk a little to trade back depending on the compensation.

I figured Kansas City was the most likely trading partner, so I was pleased when I found out that the trade back wasn’t as far down AND we got a premium on the trade back.

If Guyton is a “hit” for the Cowboys, it doesn’t matter what we get out of the additional pick, it’s gravy (but I’m hoping that we make the most of the extra pick).

I think it was a reasonable risk and a good decision however it turns out.

I think the general sentiment is that the Cowboys did pretty well in round one, and have set themselves up pretty well going forward into tonight. But the Cowboys need to get solid picks out of the next 3 picks.

If we piss off the second round pick (like we do far too often) it’s really going to kill the mojo around here. I would be OK with just a good solid pick for the position player in the second round or a slight trade back again in the second for an additional pick depending who is on the board at our pick.

That pick we received in the trade back was a really good pick and should result in a solid player if we stick to the draft board. It’s only about 15 picks lower than our second round pick. So if a team REALLY wants to move up to our second round pick and pay a ransom to do it we have a pick that is only about 15 picks below that which could be nudged up a little with a late round pick.

We have really helped ourself with draft ammo here. I hope the team makes the most of it. Just be smart and stick to our board!!

Creeper

Reaction score
I feel like drafting down around 24 is a crap shoot anyway. If you hit on a player down there it is icing on the cake. None of the choices the Cowboys had at 24 was a sure thing, although the pundit were high on Barton.

Guyton could turn out to be a good player. He has the traits, but I just think he struggles year 1 and maybe that won't matter that much because the Cowboys off-season has been inactive anyway. 2024 may just be a down year and maybe a year Guyton will need to develop.

It may seem unsatisfying because when we look at the roster we see so many holes and Guyton potentially fills one of them. The defense to me has to be the next priority.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Like the trade back for the early thrid round pick but I think Dallas missed out on a day one starter for a raw project that may have traits you want ot see in an offensive linemen but I think he needs a lot of work, certainly not a plug an play player

Verdict

Reaction score
Like the trade back for the early thrid round pick but I think Dallas missed out on a day one starter for a raw project that may have traits you want ot see in an offensive linemen but I think he needs a lot of work, certainly not a plug an play player
I think the risk/reward was worth the trade back, and Guyton may well have been the pick even if we had stayed put at #24, knowing the Cowboys. But if Guyton ends up being a miss, you know this board is going to melt down. Lol

Side note: I really hope we make the most of the pick we received in the trade down.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas has generally been good in R1 and this was a good R1 move.
But no doubt R2 has been the bugaboo and they need to hit a solid double on this one at least.
Draft a dude that can play this year and play well.
In R2 you can fill some gaps and address depth concerns but you can't cry about being cap poor than miss with the top 2 draft selections.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t follow the draft as closely as many of you do, but I do keep one eye on it. I’m a huge Oklahoma football fan, but am also realistic.

Before the draft I was led to believe that Guyton was not a sure thing but a player that had traits, and projected upside. My feeling at #24 was that there was probably a guy there with less risk (but possibly more upside) available, but that the team was willing to risk a little to trade back depending on the compensation.

I figured Kansas City was the most likely trading partner, so I was pleased when I found out that the trade back wasn’t as far down AND we got a premium on the trade back.

If Guyton is a “hit” for the Cowboys, it doesn’t matter what we get out of the additional pick, it’s gravy (but I’m hoping that we make the most of the extra pick).

I think it was a reasonable risk and a good decision however it turns out.

I think the general sentiment is that the Cowboys did pretty well in round one, and have set themselves up pretty well going forward into tonight. But the Cowboys need to get solid picks out of the next 3 picks.

If we piss off the second round pick (like we do far too often) it’s really going to kill the mojo around here. I would be OK with just a good solid pick for the position player in the second round or a slight trade back again in the second for an additional pick depending who is on the board at our pick.

That pick we received in the trade back was a really good pick and should result in a solid player if we stick to the draft board. It’s only about 15 picks lower than our second round pick. So if a team REALLY wants to move up to our second round pick and pay a ransom to do it we have a pick that is only about 15 picks below that which could be nudged up a little with a late round pick.

We have really helped ourself with draft ammo here. I hope the team makes the most of it. Just be smart and stick to our board!!
You're too smart to be on this forum! Lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well, you could look at it this way if Dallas gets a center with that extra pick. Instead of getting a Day 1 starter at C (assuming you are talking about Barton), it gets possible starters at LT and C

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Well, you could look at it this way if Dallas gets a center with that extra pick. Instead of getting a Day 1 starter at C (assuming you are talking about Barton), it gets possible starters at LT and C
If Dallas could land Zach Frazer in the second round, I'd have no problem with it, Barton to me is a day one starter, I just don't see Guyton as a day one starter nor do I see him as a first round grade, he's a work in progress with a long way to go..

Dallas really needs a nail this second round pick, it's been a disaster many times in drafts with their second round selections for the most part

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Dallas could land Zach Frazer in the second round, I'd have no problem with it, Barton to me is a day one starter, I just don't see Guyton as a day one starter nor do I see him as a first round grade, he's a work in progress with a long way to go..

Dallas really needs a nail this second round pick, it's been a disaster many times in drafts with their second round selections for the most part
Depending on what you consider a first-round grade, Guyton was universally in the top 20-30 in most lists I've seen.