One of the replay proposals a long time ago

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
At one time when the original booth replay system was nixxed, and they were considering bringing in a challenge system, someone proposed the following. I forget who. If you remember who suggested this, let me know.

The idea was that a team should always be able to challenge a play, but we needed a system to prevent a team from challenging every minor thing and slowing down the game. They proposed the same system of losing a timeout if you lose a challenge that we have now, except that if you were out of timeouts, you could still challenge a play. In that case, if you lose the challenge, you have a 15-yard penalty levied against your team. That way a team always has the opportunity to challenge a play during no-booth time, but has an incentive to only challenge really urgent ones.

McCarthy would have won that fumble challenge toward the end of the Cards game. Maybe the league should consider this replay system.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Love it... really this isn't that hard to figure out. I dont even care if you dont tie challenges to anything...teams only get two and a bonus one if they are right on both of them. Worst case we have 6 challenges in a game which will be rare. If pace of play is the issue dont have the refs on the field do the replay, just have a designated replay official sitting in the box that is constantly reviewing and can make decisions faster.