Only 3 Tight Ends in NFL History... (Witten)

The Panch

Reaction score
Rampage;2461751 said:
Jason Witten will be the greatest tightend of all time when his career is over.
I know it's early in his career, but if he stays healthy, I fully support this statement.

There isnt anything he isnt great at. Receiving, YAC, run blocking, pass plocking, pass and run blocking downfield. He may not be the most athletic guy in the world, but he does a good enough job of getting separation to have multiple 100 catch/1000 yard seasons in his career.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Hostile;2461818 said:
Witten is the best TE in the game right now and I think he could end up being a Hall of Famer. I truly enjoy watching him play.

he's everything that's good about this game.

in this day of overpriced millionaires...he is the exception to the rule.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Dreadnought94;2461820 said:
Witten and Ware are everything that's right with the NFL.

I fully agree. On Thanksgiving, I was telling my friend that I couldn't decide if Ware or Witten were my favorite player. He said that he would take Ware, just barely, so I decided to go with Witten. Like you said, they are what is what's right with the NFL. Honestly, if they can continue at this level, both will be in the HoF.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
percyhoward;2461624 said:
Only 3 tight ends in the history of the league reached the 5,000 yard mark in less than 100 games.

Kellen Winslow Sr.
Ozzie Newsome
Jackie Smith

They're arguably the three best who ever played the position, and they are all in the Hall of Fame.

Through 91 career games, Witten has 4,692 yards receiving. Some time during his next 8 regular season games, he'll pick up the 308 more yards needed to join this very select group.

It'll probably happen this year.

What can you say that has not been said? wow!

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Panch;2461832 said:
I know it's early in his career, but if he stays healthy, I fully support this statement.

There isnt anything he isnt great at. Receiving, YAC, run blocking, pass plocking, pass and run blocking downfield. He may not be the most athletic guy in the world, but he does a good enough job of getting separation to have multiple 100 catch/1000 yard seasons in his career.

He is not that great at YAC or breaking tackles. Other than that he is great at everything else.

davidb257

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2461982 said:
He is not that great at YAC or breaking tackles. Other than that he is great at everything else.

Witten tries to get cute when he has a defender infrontof him and tries to juke and ends up getting gang tackled from behind.

If he'd run straight forward he'd truck the poor safety and get at least 10 extra yards every time.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jobberone;2461747 said:
Yep. A freak of nature. How did anyone that large run that fast and be that athletic. I wonder if he ever trained or was it all just au natural.

John Mackey was before my time. I have only seen clips of him and he was amazing. I don't know if he was a freak of nature physically. It was just a different era, so he was a freak for that time period

He is listed as 6'-2" and 224 lbs.

That is not that large by today's standards. It is a few pounds less than Jim Brown. Jackie Smith and Mike Ditka started the same year as Mackey and are both bigger; however, they did not move like Mackey.

davidb257

Benched
Reaction score
To further my point on Witten's YAC, I believe there was one play last season where his helmet was jolted off his head and he still ran for a good 30+ yards after the catch?

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Yknow, if Parcells doesn't make him play through that injury to his face as a rookie, he probably doesn't even come close. Nor do we know how many other injuries, current one included, that he sits out for instead of playing through. You can say a lot about Big Bill, but to the players he "gets through" to, he really gets through. And Witten could be his greatest, draft pick and project, ever.

Props to Jason for being one of, if not the toughest, player we've ever had- and to this accomplishment he's about to achieve.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
My mother-in-law bought me a T.O. jersey.

I took it back to the store and exchanged it for Witten's.

My ignorant sister-in-law (bronco fan by marriage) and her brat kid were teasing me for wearing the jersey after the SF win (when Witten went down briefly).

I just smiled and was reminded that she knew nothing about football.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
Witten Is my favorite Cowboy. I live only 30 minutes away from his hometown and attended his first football camp his rookie year. He brought some undrafted QB with him that year named Tony Romo.

We need more players like Jason. :bow:

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
My all-time favorite Jason Witten stat was that he was drafted one round after the eagles L.J. Smith.

Smith22

Reaction score
Dreadnought94;2461820 said:
Witten and Ware are everything that's right with the NFL.

Amen to that! Romo will be right there with them if he can stay consistent over the next few years.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2461999 said:
Yknow, if Parcells doesn't make him play through that injury to his face as a rookie, he probably doesn't even come close. Nor do we know how many other injuries, current one included, that he sits out for instead of playing through. You can say a lot about Big Bill, but to the players he "gets through" to, he really gets through. And Witten could be his greatest, draft pick and project, ever.

Props to Jason for being one of, if not the toughest, player we've ever had- and to this accomplishment he's about to achieve.

If Witten isn't stuck with Quincy Carter throwing him the ball his rookie season he probably would have 5000 yards receiving by now. Also Drew Bledsoe did a poor job of getting the ball to Witten. That is when Witten was allowed to run patterns because he had to stay in to block for the statue.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
burmafrd;2461678 said:
I would take Dave Casper or Mike Ditka over smith and newsome.

Ozzie was a beast and no I would not take casper over him...........

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Witten is one of my all time favorite Cowboys players and he's probably my favorite current player. The only ones who could come close are Romo and Ware.

proline

Reaction score
Jason Witten CAN sneeze with his eyes closed ...while dividing by zero!