Opinion: Cowboys Maybe Able To Move The Ball Thru The Air On Bucs..

Reaction score
I know, I know, I know, not with Brad Johnson as the QB. Ya! Ya!

If the guys up front can give Brad Johnson some time, I think that Witten and our WR's can have success against the Tampa 2 that is ranked number 15 against the pass giving up 201 yards per game and 9 TD's.

It is going to be up to Garrett to get back to the basics trying to run the ball to set-up play-action. Garrett can't become one-dimensional in his game calling.

If the O-line can protect Johnson, I think we can match Witten up one-on-one with their LB'ers. I like that match-up.

Maybe Garrett will call more dump-off passes to Barber and let him run in the open field.

If Witten and Barber have success underneath that may cause Ronde Barber to come up to assist in the underneath and running plays that may leave Williams and Owens one-on-one with their CB's.

Just MO and a little food for thought!

AKATheRake

Reaction score
This is the type of defense Brad should be successful throwing against especially if we can get the run going. The Tampa 2 doesn't give up big plays and is predicated on small yardage opportunities at most in it's zones and being the team that executes better. Brad's not looking for the deep ball much and this style of D will give up those 4 -7 yarders that Brad is looking for.

1 thing though. I like Witten matched up against pretty much an LBer in the league, accept Derrick Brooks. Brooks will win as many in the air as he loses. I'd stay away from him as much as possible.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
It really comes down to our line. I really hope they step it up because they are VITAL to the success of Brad Johnson. I know that's true with every QB and team, but especially with a Brontosaurus back there.

What worries me though, is the Tampa 2 loves to jump on the short type of passes Brad loves. He's going to need time to find the gaps in that zone, and he really has to show that he can fling the ball behind the LB's and in front of the safeties accurately. That's where our O-line has to play their guts out.

I also expect our defense to play with some fire this game. I think we get back to basics and come out swinging because at least the guys probably have some semblance of respect for Wade and his specific play calling. They will play for him on Sunday.

Cowboys 21-16:starspin

Jenky

Reaction score
Oh god. Brad Johnson's ball placement was horrible last game. Its not that WRs weren't open.

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2369632 said:
This is the type of defense Brad should be successful throwing against especially if we can get the run going. The Tampa 2 doesn't give up big plays and is predicated on small yardage opportunities at most in it's zones and being the team that executes better. Brad's not looking for the deep ball much and this style of D will give up those 4 -7 yarders that Brad is looking for.

1 thing though. I like Witten matched up against pretty much an LBer in the league, accept Derrick Brooks. Brooks will win as many in the air as he loses. I'd stay away from him as much as possible.

I am with you all the way up to Brooks. Seriously, Witten, when playing his best game is a match-up nightmare for all LB'ers including Brooks.

Garrett needs to move Owens around as well.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
hardhittin31;2369653 said:
Oh god. Brad Johnson's ball placement was horrible last game. Its not that WRs weren't open.

He'll do better this time around what rust was forming got knocked off

Reaction score
Ominous Oracle;2369652 said:
It really comes down to our line. I really hope they step it up because they are VITAL to the success of Brad Johnson. I know that's true with every QB and team, but especially with a Brontosaurus back there.

What worries me though, is the Tampa 2 loves to jump on the short type of passes Brad loves. He's going to need time to find the gaps in that zone, and he really has to show that he can fling the ball behind the LB's and in front of the safeties accurately. That's where our O-line has to play their guts out.

I also expect our defense to play with some fire this game. I think we get back to basics and come out swinging because at least the guys probably have some semblance of respect for Wade and his specific play calling. They will play for him on Sunday.

Garrett needs to go with more three step-drops and move Owens around.

Reaction score
hardhittin31;2369653 said:

That is because he was under heavy pressure from the Rams!:bang2:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Ominous Oracle;2369652 said:

:lmao2: Brontosaurus. More like a Terradactyl with that little arm of his. I agree with everything you're saying, nice insight. I'll take 3-0 if we can get it.

GO COWBOYS !!!!!

Jenky

Reaction score
the kid 05;2369658 said:
He'll do better this time around what rust was forming got knocked off

I hope so. There's no way in hell we can turn it over against this team. Defense is their bread and butter and they will make us pay.

Pick6TerenceNewman;2369663 said:
That is because he was under heavy pressure from the Rams!:bang2:

Even so, he showed a problem with leading guys and throwing it behind them. He looked indecisive on some plays too.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2369659 said:
Garrett needs to go with more three step-drops and move Owens around.

Very true. I just think Tampa will gameplan around the thinking that Brad will go for the short stuff. He has to get protection and get the ball down the field. Moving Owens, Witten, hell even Roy E. around as a decoy/partial weapon, would do wonders for our attack.

If we completely resort to slants, dump-offs, quick hitches, etc. I think Brad will be in trouble.

Of course we can resort to that if our running game is effective, thus going back to the o-line needing to be REALLY effective this game.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2369654 said:
I am with you all the way up to Brooks. Seriously, Witten, when playing his best game is a match-up nightmare for all LB'ers including Brooks.

Garrett needs to move Owens around as well.

I still rather have him isolated on other players. I'd rather take my chances with them than Brooks. He is always in the right place at the right time and one of those guys on defense that can score. We let them bust a score from defense ad we're in the you know what.

Solid fundamental game where we have to lean on them and tire them out with our o-line, efficient and safe passing game and hope to open em up in the 4th with the run because they've been bumped around by our earth movers. Kiffin knows how to create pressure when needed and knows Brad better than Brad knows Kiffin's defense. The run is very important this game.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Ominous Oracle;2369683 said:
Very true. I just think Tampa will gameplan around the thinking that Brad will go for the short stuff. He has to get protection and get the ball down the field. Moving Owens, Witten, hell even Roy E. around as a decoy/partial weapon, would do wonders for our attack.

If we completely resort to slants, dump-offs, quick hitches, etc. I think Brad will be in trouble.

Of course we can resort to that if our running game is effective, thus going back to the o-line needing to be REALLY effective this game.

Some deep play action will keep them honest. The play action will only work if the running game is as effective as we are all agreeing upon.

Reaction score
Ominous Oracle;2369683 said:

I think too many people are on to much of the arm strength crap. There are plenty of guys that don't have arm strength and are just fine. Just look at who we are playing.... Garcia.

Reaction score
hardhittin31;2369679 said:
I hope so. There's no way in hell we can turn it over against this team. Defense is their bread and butter and they will make us pay.

Even so, he showed a problem with leading guys and throwing it behind them. He looked indecisive on some plays too.

Seriously, please what the game again and you will see Johnson having a hard time stepping-up and folling through alot of his passes.

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2369699 said:
I still rather have him isolated on other players. I'd rather take my chances with them than Brooks. He is always in the right place at the right time and one of those guys on defense that can score. We let them bust a score from defense ad we're in the you know what.

Solid fundamental game where we have to lean on them and tire them out with our o-line, efficient and safe passing game and hope to open em up in the 4th with the run because they've been bumped around by our earth movers. Kiffin knows how to create pressure when needed and knows Brad better than Brad knows Kiffin's defense. The run is very important this game.

You got to mix it up.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2369708 said:
I think too many people are on to much of the arm strength crap. There are plenty of guys that don't have arm strength and are just fine. Just look at who we are playing.... Garcia.

I never mention the arm-strength stuff. Obviously the guy can throw the ball decently or our coaches are legally blind. (according to some 'round here, that might just be the case)

He just needs to find some comfortable lanes to throw in, and make tight accurate throws down field. With a great running game, and great protection, Brad can still win I think.

But noticed I said GREAT, because that's what it will take to get Brad in the winner's circle on Sunday. I believe we are up to the challenge!