OPINION: NFL Returns to Preschool with Passer Rule

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
sf4d9erfan1's SportingBlog
May 03, 2007 10:08 AM

The second entry in this series is strictly addressing the Roughing the Passer penalties that were called last season. I have referred to this in my Peyton Manning blog but must iterate that it just didn’t happen to the Colts. One of the most memorable plays last year involved a play when the Giants ( I think) virtually lost a game solely based on the threat of a roughing the passer penalty. As the pass rusher was in the process of tackling the quarterback something inside his helmet must have clicked. He had the QB all but wrapped up but because he was afraid of getting a costly penalty released him. The passer then completed a vital pass which resulted in the game winning play. How easy is the NFL going to make it for QB’s? Players like Michael Vick and Vince Young should be able to take full advantage of this new rule. Simply, it allows them to move more freely in the backfield without the worries of having obstructed views (can’t hit their head thus, have to keep hands away to avoid penalty) or a fear of footsteps! A slap to their helmet and the defender is eating a yellow cloth lunch and washing it down with their coaches spit. A tackler who doesn’t come equipped with instant air brakes is also relatively screwed. In short, defenders are having to slow down their blitz rushes as well as their chasing speed for fear that if the QB does release the ball before they arrive they will be penalized for an unnecessary hit. The NFL obviously doesn’t see the same things I do. I see a 300 pound man running his guts out to tackle a faster Quarterback.(In most cases) I know that I am no physics expert but once 300 pounds is set in motion it is a little hard to stop it on the turn on a dime. Therefore, through simple math, we can see that these 300 pound beasts are not going to be able to avoid some contact. However, in their efforts to direct their hits from the QB’s head they lower their attack to below the waste. This results in another referee provided penalty luncheon! I mean, are they drafting players with telepathy now because the only way to avoid some of these hits is to know the exact moment the quarterback is going to release the ball. Further still, defenders are getting hit where it really hurts, their wallets. Last season I saw an increase in defender to quarterback fines. I know that if I were making big money but had some of it threatened because of contact, I would try to limit my contact. Therefore, this is also responsible for the slow done in pass rushing that we saw against Peyton and other quarterbacks in the playoffs and regular season. I mean this is football right? The quarterbacks don’t have special clauses in their contracts that say they can’t be touched. Maybe the NFL should issue each quarterback a flag to attach to their waist as to make it fair for defenses. Now, I realize that late hitting penalties are necessary and I totally agree with the helmet to helmet rules but when a slap to the helmet draws 3 flags things have gone a little overboard! I think the rules should go back to the Pre-Carson Palmer injury and the NFL should just chalk that injury up to accident!

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Gryphon;1487393 said:
sf4d9erfan1's SportingBlog
May 03, 2007 10:08 AM

The second entry in this series is strictly addressing the Roughing the Passer penalties that were called last season. I have referred to this in my Peyton Manning blog but must iterate that it just didn’t happen to the Colts.

One of the most memorable plays last year involved a play when the Giants ( I think) virtually lost a game solely based on the threat of a roughing the passer penalty. As the pass rusher was in the process of tackling the quarterback something inside his helmet must have clicked. He had the QB all but wrapped up but because he was afraid of getting a costly penalty released him. The passer then completed a vital pass which resulted in the game winning play.

How easy is the NFL going to make it for QB’s? Players like Michael Vick and Vince Young should be able to take full advantage of this new rule. Simply, it allows them to move more freely in the backfield without the worries of having obstructed views (can’t hit their head thus, have to keep hands away to avoid penalty) or a fear of footsteps! A slap to their helmet and the defender is eating a yellow cloth lunch and washing it down with their coaches spit. A tackler who doesn’t come equipped with instant air brakes is also relatively screwed. In short, defenders are having to slow down their blitz rushes as well as their chasing speed for fear that if the QB does release the ball before they arrive they will be penalized for an unnecessary hit.

The NFL obviously doesn’t see the same things I do. I see a 300 pound man running his guts out to tackle a faster Quarterback.(In most cases) I know that I am no physics expert but once 300 pounds is set in motion it is a little hard to stop it on the turn on a dime. Therefore, through simple math, we can see that these 300 pound beasts are not going to be able to avoid some contact. However, in their efforts to direct their hits from the QB’s head they lower their attack to below the waste. This results in another referee provided penalty luncheon! I mean, are they drafting players with telepathy now because the only way to avoid some of these hits is to know the exact moment the quarterback is going to release the ball.

Further still, defenders are getting hit where it really hurts, their wallets. Last season I saw an increase in defender to quarterback fines. I know that if I were making big money but had some of it threatened because of contact, I would try to limit my contact. Therefore, this is also responsible for the slow done in pass rushing that we saw against Peyton and other quarterbacks in the playoffs and regular season.

I mean this is football right?

The quarterbacks don’t have special clauses in their contracts that say they can’t be touched. Maybe the NFL should issue each quarterback a flag to attach to their waist as to make it fair for defenses. Now, I realize that late hitting penalties are necessary and I totally agree with the helmet to helmet rules but when a slap to the helmet draws 3 flags things have gone a little overboard! I think the rules should go back to the Pre-Carson Palmer injury and the NFL should just chalk that injury up to accident!

Nice little rant i feel the same way

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
THUMPER;1487431 said:
I've got one word for you.... paragraphs. :bang2:

I got ya covered. although a paragraph signifies a change in thought, his are all over the place hence he doesn't need them.

we have witnessed someone legally do away with paragraphs, i applaud you sir!

i did however try to seperate his thoughts

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
J.Jones whos that number 1 guy?

Jay

Reaction score
Why are all these fans' random blogs being posted?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
It does seem that we may have to put skirts on these QB's in the future.......I hate some of the roughing calls

joseephuss

Reaction score
That Giants-Titans game is a poor example. Kiwanuka just made a dumb play. He did not have to put Young to the ground. He could have just wrapped him up and waited for the whistle and that would not draw a roughing the passer penalty. The rules are becoming a little bit too extreme and that makes it difficult to be a defender, but this was just a young player making a mistake. I doubt he was thinking penalty as it was happening. Sounds more like an excuse after the fact.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Put a yellow jersey on the QB and make him off limits. This is ridicules how the NFL is over protecting the QB's and yet some of these QB's are extremely athletic and if not attacked like any other offensive weapon will kill a defense. Maybe Jack Lambert was not far off when he said put a dress on them.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
the kid 05;1487516 said:
J.Jones whos that number 1 guy?

Desean Jackson from Cal, he is a lil shorter 6 foot even, but has blazing speed, and one of the best kick returners i have ever seen.

adamknite

Reaction score
After Waters suicide and finding that his brain was mush, people are still clamering for more violence. Watch ultimate fighting if you enjoy watching people's lifes get cut short. Quarterbacks already take full speed blind side hits, no reason to limit the roughing the passer rules so they can take even more shots.

The only roughing the passer rule I wish they'd tweek is the one where a defender jumps to tip the pass and comes down and barely touches the QB's helmet with his hand.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
adamknite;1487851 said:
After Waters suicide and finding that his brain was mush, people are still clamering for more violence. Watch ultimate fighting if you enjoy watching people's lifes get cut short. Quarterbacks already take full speed blind side hits, no reason to limit the roughing the passer rules so they can take even more shots.

The only roughing the passer rule I wish they'd tweek is the one where a defender jumps to tip the pass and comes down and barely touches the QB's helmet with his hand.

I'm not demanding more violence, I demanding that they allow these players to play the game of football. Taking hits is part of the game and if you don't want to get hit then go play baseball or basketball. Right now defenses are getting nailed for 15 yards for ticky tack fouls that in no way put the QB in harms way. I have no issue with the NFL being more cautious with concussion and keeping a player out until they feel he is 100% ready to return to action.

adamknite

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1487855 said:
I'm not demanding more violence, I demanding that they allow these players to play the game of football. Taking hits is part of the game and if you don't want to get hit then go play baseball or basketball. Right now defenses are getting nailed for 15 yards for ticky tack fouls that in no way put the QB in harms way. I have no issue with the NFL being more cautious with concussion and keeping a player out until they feel he is 100% ready to return to action.

What would you do to limit roughing the passer penalties that would still keep the QB safe?

A QB has to plant his feet to throw the ball well, a lineman diving at his legs while a QB's legs are firmly planted should be a freaking penalty. Hitting the QB after the ball is released and he's just standing there should be a penalty, leading with your helmet should be a penalty. What are you going to do to change it? Get better refs? Make it a reviewable offense? If you want it changed then you'll have to make a compelling argument that it would limit unnecassary penalties while still keeping the player safe from injury.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
THUMPER;1487431 said:
I've got one word for you.... paragraphs. :bang2:
:hammer:

Just a suggestion for folks who want to post a long article. Break it up into readable portions. It will save the eyestrain on an old guy like me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
adamknite;1487871 said:
What would you do to limit roughing the passer penalties that would still keep the QB safe?

A QB has to plant his feet to throw the ball well, a lineman diving at his legs while a QB's legs are firmly planted should be a freaking penalty. Hitting the QB after the ball is released and he's just standing there should be a penalty, leading with your helmet should be a penalty. What are you going to do to change it? Get better refs? Make it a reviewable offense? If you want it changed then you'll have to make a compelling argument that it would limit unnecassary penalties while still keeping the player safe from injury.

Most of these have always been part of roughing the passer it is how it is being called. As you mentioned yourself a guy goes up to block a pass and touches the QB helmet, 15 yarder? That is BS. If you want to protect the QB then let him ground the ball at any point without being flagged. As I mentioned you have QB's out there who have the athletic ability to take the ball down and run for the score and if the defense is treating them any different than any other offensive weapon they run the risk of allowing that QB to beat them.

adamknite

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1487898 said:
Most of these have always been part of roughing the passer it is how it is being called. As you mentioned yourself a guy goes up to block a pass and touches the QB helmet, 15 yarder? That is BS. If you want to protect the QB then let him ground the ball at any point without being flagged. As I mentioned you have QB's out there who have the athletic ability to take the ball down and run for the score and if the defense is treating them any different than any other offensive weapon they run the risk of allowing that QB to beat them.

See I just wish the rules were better instituted. The refs are quick to throw the flags when somebody simply touches the Querterback too late, even if he's pulling up trying to stop and the QB pretty much flops. However when another player has the QB wrapped up, they don't throw the flag when their teamate comes in full speed and plows him.

Example: Green Bay vs Patriots. A patriot player had Favre wrapped up completely and Favre was going down (if I remember Favre wasn't even facing the line of scrimmage, and was being twisted to the ground) another Patriot comes in and totally plows into Favre full speed, knocking him out of the game (if memory serves me well). No penalty, but in one game (don't remember sorry) DeMarcus Ware comes rushing to the QB, but before he gets there the QB gets rid of the ball, Ware pulls up, throwing his arms in the air (signalling he's not touching him) but as he does and is still coming forward slightyly his hand bumps into the QB's helmet, 15 yard penalty immediately.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Phrozen Phil;1487875 said:
:hammer:

Just a suggestion for folks who want to post a long article. Break it up into readable portions. It will save the eyestrain on an old guy like me.

Dumb newby question here.When I submit a post to this forum all the paragraph spacings I put into my post are removed and the post reads like one paragraph.Is this just a characteristic of this forum software.Is it my browser?No other forum I post to has this characteristic.Sorry about the hi-jack.I would add my thoughts to the topic but I afraid to leave a long paragraph.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
If the number of player substitutions were sharply limited, I doubt there would be a need for such pronounced protections. There'd be far fewer 300 lb. players and much more emphasis on leaner and more highly conditioned athletes. Football would have a bit more of the aerobic quality that it had back in the '60s and '70s.

Now, with so many getting breathers so often, the game is much more about short, explosive bursts of play. Endurance is less important that it used to be.

But situational substitutions aren't going anywhere. Two platoon football is here to stay.

So you gotta protect your players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maybe teams should stop sending 4 or 5 guys out in the rout and keep more players in to protect the QB.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The QB position is somewhat special for various reasons.

He (or she) is the one who always touches the ball unless it's a fake or a kick.

He is the initial target for a defense.

He often has a blind side and being knocked senseless unawares poses additional health hazards. For example, QB hit on the blind side don't brace themselves and have no time to yell "Mommie!"

Franchises pay QBs a premium salary, so yes, I don't blame the NFL and the clubs wanting some added protections to their high-stakes investment, the QB.

The QB is the team leader, thus why not protect the QB?

Far be it from me to promote less violence in the NFL, I just hate to see a game with the second-string QB. Especially when it is the Dallas QB.