Opinion: Prescott is going to show up on time

MarcusRock

Reaction score
What is Bell endorsing? That's my point, not fan booing.

It is different for a QB. They get all the glory and most agree the longevity of a RB is fractional to a QB. And he didn't play QB for the Dallas Cowboys. I think you are underplaying the effect of the QB1 of the DC being a no show and the reaction of the fans.

Do you think Prescott and his agent think Prescott would have anything close to this endorsement level were he not the DC QB? He got that because he's the QB of America's Team, turn his back on them and they'll drop him like a bad habit. Do you think anyone can relate to a guy sitting out with 31.4M sitting there and all he has to do is show up?

Bell thought he was being undervalued because of his contribution to the offense and what they game Brown. O could actually see his point. If Prescott were to no show? Nope, don't see that point at all. And neither would his sponsors. Especially when Cowboys fans are calling for a boycott of his sponsors and don't think they wouldn't. Prescott would be a headache they don't need and he and his agent know that.

I used Bell because you were giving being liked by fans as a reason for why Dak would lose sponsors because of squabbling over money. I'm saying sponsors would wait out drama queens and then keep on keeping on.

No question Dak gets more endorsements because he's the Dallas QB. That's definitely worth something to Dak's camp. Enough to take a discount on the main income source? I don't think so because that's a separate entity. And it's not "turning your back" on a team where you don't think you're getting a fair offer. You think Dak should sign that 5-year offer that offers less money guaranteed than Goff and Wentz got on 4-year deals? Anyone that does just isn't being fair and it's that green reason I mentioned earlier. And no one here can relate to a $10M annual offer, let alone $31M so not sure what that has to do with anything.

And fans aren't going to be calling for a boycott of Dak's sponsors if he holds out, let's be real. Did you not forget how that general boycott effort of the NFL worked out a few years back? Drama queens. Nothing more, nothing less. What advertisers did the NFL lose? Again, ad folks study these metrics and know better. Fans mistakenly think they have more power than they actually do. How many "Jerry better respect the fans or else" posts have we seen for years and years? What has poor ol' Jerry suffered in that time? It's hope-posting as it was during Zeke's situation. Just like those who think 2-11, no-winning-record-in-4-years Andy Dalton is somehow the nail in Dak's leverage coffin. Just because people want to build something against someone doesn't mean there's actual building materials and funding to make it happen.

johneric8

Reaction score
But they aren't paying an 8-8 quarterback that throws the ball into the ground on 4th down.
Guess what Genius, even Brees has been below 8-8 with many passes headed to the ground on 4th down, would you care for me to share some videos with you? :muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what we do in offseason and on a fan forum.

If the waters are too muddied , then step away. Lol

We have these contract discussions every year it seems with someone. Not sure why Dak isn’t fair game as well.

The business side is much of what we discuss around here especially in off season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this is true but not signing is not an option for Prescott

McCarthy and Stephen ensured that by signing Dalton

Dalton won’t win us a SB but he is a competent NFL QB and you bet Prescott will not want him starting and winning a few games early (which is likely to happen) as that will truly bring down Dak’s leverage

Dak will sign the tender and take his chances
I’d certainly put my money that he will at least sign the tag and play but until he does it’s still on the table. And why the chatter will continue.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I pretty much agree Dalton's signing forces Prescott's hand. However, I am also someone who assumed incorrectly Jones and Prescott would settle on a new contract before the beginning of last season.

Today is May 25. July 15 is only 51 days away. Prescott is taking the contract negotiations down to the wire. To me, Prescott is demonstrating a level of self-determination that *might* extend past the new contract deadline and possibly influence what seems like (again for me) the logical decision of signing the franchise tender before the 2020 season.

If Dalton wins some games and appears competent it will cost Dak money. Everyone knows his supporting cast has helped him. You allow Dalton to generate offense with this team how does Dak sell himself to Dallas or anyone else as a 35+ million QB?

Adreme

Reaction score
But they aren't paying an 8-8 quarterback that throws the ball into the ground on 4th down.

Wins are still a team stat. If they are an individual stat, then I guess a lot of Cowboys are about to get cut. Poor Zack Martin, overpaid because he was an 8-8 player. Tyron Smith, just another 8-8 player, same with Amari. All just generic 8-8 players who are clearly not worth paying.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully it doesn’t play out the exact same way or we could end up like the Commanders.
Naa, Jerry wants to sign him . He’s just playing public opinion which is swaying on the “ don’t make him the highest paid QB” side although Jerry doesn’t have any problem with it and is prepared to sell and market Dak as #1 QB in the league.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's, most likely, offering more than 30M a year for a 5 year extension.

You, and some others, don't like him at any price so your value of him is skewed. I think there are teams that would pay him 30M for one season because I didn't think any team would pay Cousins 28M but they did.

PAPPY, you make one large mistake in your thinking. You think the Joneses are the only stupid people running NFL teams.
Disagree. W/ the word "one"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Naa, Jerry wants to sign him . He’s just playing public opinion which is swaying on the “ don’t make him the highest paid QB” side although Jerry doesn’t have any problem with it and is prepared to sell and market Dak as #1 QB in the league.

He definitely wants to sign him but not for the kind of money he’s looking for or at least the number of years he wants. This is likely to go down to July 15 with a deal getting done at that time. Deadlines make deals.

leeblair

Reaction score
Wins are still a team stat. If they are an individual stat, then I guess a lot of Cowboys are about to get cut. Poor Zack Martin, overpaid because he was an 8-8 player. Tyron Smith, just another 8-8 player, same with Amari. All just generic 8-8 players who are clearly not worth paying.
Wins stop being a team star when the quarterback starts choking. It's a team game, but the weakest link breaks the chain.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He definitely wants to sign him but not for the kind of money he’s looking for or at least the number of years he wants. This is likely to go down to July 15 with a deal getting done at that time. Deadlines make deals.
No doubt it’s coming down to deadline . And maybe longer. What if season is postponed or canceled?

leeblair

Reaction score
Guess what Genius, even Brees has been below 8-8 with many passes headed to the ground on 4th down, would you care for me to share some videos with you? :muttley:
Show me where Brees did it intentionally.
Show me Dak's resume that proves he can get it done like Brees.
Don't compare Dak to Drew Brees. Dak has never led a team to victory. He's won with teams, but never led.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wins stop being a team star when the quarterback starts choking. It's a team game, but the weakest link breaks the chain.
Wins and losses are more directly associated regardless whether it’s applicable with the QB and why they are compiled.

Dak w/l record has been one of the best In the league during his 4 year span. So , if we used that stat alone I’m not sure it’d illustrate an accurate evaluation of his passing ability ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Show me where Brees did it intentionally.
Show me Dak's resume that proves he can get it done like Brees.
Don't compare Dak to Drew Brees. Dak has never led a team to victory. He's won with teams, but never led.
Basically saying if a QB hadn’t won a championship then he’s not proven ? I’m assuming this applies to everyone?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No doubt it’s coming down to deadline . And maybe longer. What if season is postponed or canceled?

If the season is canceled and Dak decides to play on the franchise tag he’ll lose $31 million this season because that money is only paid out if there’s a season. He’s going to be taking a big gamble if he doesn’t sign by July 15 because he can’t negotiate a new contract until next year. I think he and his agents will take it right down to the wire and make a deal.