Opinion: Randy Gregory will be the Cowboys starting DE

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ive watched plenty...if we get good productive snaps out of ONE of those guys it will be a success. There’s plenty of $ available to get actual talent, if we don’t have a pass rush our D is going to suck no matter what. How this fan base became terrified is beyond me.
Not terrified at all. Too many holes to fill on Defense. Team already has 5 DEs on the team. Use them. Bigger need at DT, CB, LB and S.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Gregory has shown little. A flash at times but nothing more than that. Gregory has a hell of a lot to prove.

When he played he flashed all the time. Guy is talented. His issue is that he could not stay on the field. Pot issues now tabled we will see if he wants to be great. The talent is there. I am not sure Randy wants to play.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When he played he flashed all the time. Guy is talented. His issue is that he could not stay on the field. Pot issues now tabled we will see if he wants to be great. The talent is there. I am not sure Randy wants to play.

his best season 6 sacks in 14 games. Not this not great. He may have the talent but it has to be proven week in and week out and no he has not come close to that. He has the physical talent? Yes I think he does but he has yet to show any consistent play. Now combating the time off we have no clue as to what he will bring or not. You may have been impressed I haven't in my view he has a lot to prove

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His best season was 6 sacks in 14 games. Quinn is a better player than Randy. At best, Randy is a situational pass rusher. There is no reason to expect that he's going to blossom into anything more in his 6th year.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Randy Gregory is so high he doesn’t even know what year it is much less that there’s a new CBA.

In other words I don’t expect much.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
his best season 6 sacks in 14 games. Not this not great. He may have the talent but it has to be proven week in and week out and no he has not come close to that. He has the physical talent? Yes I think he does but he has yet to show any consistent play. Now combating the time off we have no clue as to what he will bring or not. You may have been impressed I haven't in my view he has a lot to prove

Tough to get going when being suspended time and again. That’s on him. I am not sure he wants it. Talent wise I saw enough in Dallas and Nebraska to know the guy is a good player. It’s up to him how good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tough to get going when being suspended time and again. That’s on him. I am not sure he wants it. Talent wise I saw enough in Dallas and Nebraska to know the guy is a good player. It’s up to him how good.

Dallas saw that talent in 2015 when they drafted him. I am not saying there is no way he could earn the role of starter but right now there is a lot of if's with Gregory. He has so much to prove and yes I question the heart and desire to be a great player. I hope I'm wrong and he goes out and has a pro bowl season but I would be naïve to think he will come in here and take things over at this point in time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory has shown little. A flash at times but nothing more than that. Gregory has a hell of a lot to prove.
The case could be made he was the Cowboys best reliable defender on one of the best defenses in the league in 2018. He played pretty good football and was a solid defender. 6 sacks as a backup to Crawford.

When he has had his chances Gregory has always played well. I think your selling him a little short by saying he has shown little. With the primary reason keeping him off the field not in place any more, I'm pretty excited to see him on the field again. He is a difference maker.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I hope he has the ability to get back into football shape and flash the potential he has shown. He’d be a more complete player than Quinn, plus younger too. Definitely more cap friendly which the Jones boys definitely appreciate.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The case could be made he was the Cowboys best reliable defender on one of the best defenses in the league in 2018. He played pretty good football and was a solid defender. 6 sacks as a backup to Crawford.

When he has had his chances Gregory has always played well. I think your selling him a little short by saying he has shown little. With the primary reason keeping him off the field not in place any more, I'm pretty excited to see him on the field again. He is a difference maker.

I'm sorry I watched him and while he has quickness around the edge he was not overly impressive in my eyes. I think the guy has a hell of a lot to prove he last played in 2018. I know we will hear the excuses of how it will take time for him to get himself ready. It is like backup QB everyone praises him and as far as I'm concerned he has to go out and prove himself and earn a spot. You claim he is a difference maker but really bases on what? He has missed more games than he has played.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I just can't see him spending the last two years doing wind sprints between bong hits. I hope Im wrong, because it would be fantastic to see him come back without having missed a beat, but that's a long time.

btcutter

Reaction score
His best season was 6 sacks in 14 games. Quinn is a better player than Randy. At best, Randy is a situational pass rusher. There is no reason to expect that he's going to blossom into anything more in his 6th year.

Unfortunately Randy is better than anyone else we got on the roster not named Lawrence. Quinn is FA. Resign him if reasonable. We need plenty of help along the entire line. Having Randy won't hurt.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why not?????? I said in another thread, how bad doe he want it?
The guy has a bipolar mental disorder. He has express he wants to return to football. His bipolar condition prevents him from doing this. So it's not a matter of how bad he wants it. He just is not well enough to do it. The new CBA isn't fixing this.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately Randy is better than anyone else we got on the roster not named Lawrence. Quinn is FA. Resign him if reasonable. We need plenty of help along the entire line. Having Randy won't hurt.

He's just a guy. He should have to earn his spot like anyone else. I he's good enough to make the team, then great. This notion that he's some kind of super freak with all-pro talent is 5 years old.

We need investment in the DL not resigning the same characters. The fact might be one of our better players on the DL just speaks to the poor quality of our DL not his talent.