Opinion: Rod Smith to TE

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, why don't the Cowboys draft....a real TE to play TE?

Sage3030

Reaction score
They would've gotten more chances had they shown more than Escobar, which is quite likely given their production.

The Cowboys moved up to get Escobar. He didn't get chances because he didn't show enough, which is why he's not on anyone's roster now. The Chiefs didn't like him enough to even be Kelce's back up.

None of them got very many chances as long as Witten was healthy(and he always is).

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I was thinking Paea should've tried the middle linebacker gig before he retired..........
The way Jaylon is playing I don't see how Paea could of played worst lmao. Im sure Jaylon will get it together hopefully. Needs to learn how to shed a blocker.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Gavin Escobar was drafted for that reason. Unfortunately, Travis Kelce and Jordan Reed were taken a round after Escobar.

I like Rod, but I don't see him as a TE. Cross your fingers for Rico Gathers.

Give me some RICO

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
at 6'3 and 240 lbs he has the size to play it a bit. The skins TE's are about his size. I wonder if he can run routes, get open and catch with his hands consistently? ( With Zeke, Morris and McFadden I doubt Smith gets too many carries at RB).

We need a athletic TE that can make plays. Don't know how much longer Witten plans to play but we can see he had slowed way down already. Witten is steady, make tough catches and tough. #ThrowBackPlayer

His body and speed reminds me of that ex raider, Reece.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
at 6'3 and 240 lbs he has the size to play it a bit. The skins TE's are about his size. I wonder if he can run routes, get open and catch with his hands consistently? ( With Zeke, Morris and McFadden I doubt Smith gets too many carries at RB).

We need a athletic TE that can make plays. Don't know how much longer Witten plans to play but we can see he had slowed way down already. Witten is steady, make tough catches and tough. #ThrowBackPlayer
If you have to ask yourself... "can he run routes, get open and catch" then it's probably not a good idea. I understand you want to find more ways to give the man the ball. I agree with that sentiment.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I can see him as an Hback..

Can he tun routes out of the backfield.?

If so..let him go in motion in a 2 back set.

single coverage that he should be able to beat.