OPINION: The Reason the Offense Isn't Firing On All Cylinders

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
With the acquisition of Roy Williams and Crayton moving to the slot where I think he is most dangerous many of us thought that it was just a matter of time before the Offense became a juggernaut. Instead the team has been pushed along by the Defense whom we had all begun to doubt.

I think there is a reason why the Offense isn't driving the games. I don't think Romo's finger is 100% yet. It is obviously improving but his passes aren't as crisp and as accurate as they were before the injury against Arizona. Especially throwing to his left. They seem to be sailing high.

I think this is why he may be focusing on the TE. He doesn't have his full confidence back either. I can see it coming though.

I think a hand injury to a QB just doesn't come back to 100% very fast and while he is improving it means our best Offensive football is still to be played. The tighter a QB can grip a ball the more velocity he can get on it. That's why the size of a QB's hands is often measured by teams. Hand strength is a factor in velocity and accuracy. Tony's hand is improving but it's not all the way back yet.

Without a doubt the absence of Marion Barber contributes as well. No dsirespect to Tashard Choice at all by me saying that. But Barber brings a different dynamic for a Defense to gameplan and him not being 100% is a factor.

So is the absence of Kosier or Holland at LG. Proctor has done his best this year, and ultimately that is all I ask. But the bare naked truth is he just isn't going to be any kind of solution at LG.

What is the point of all of this? I figure if we make the playoffs and win against either Arizona or Minnesota in the Wildcard round that right around the Divisional round is when Romo's hand ought to be back to 100% and we will have Offense and Defense clicking on all cylinders.

The next 2 games will go a long way towards accomplishing that feat. We can't have Romo beat up like he was against the Giants. I gained a whole new level of respect for Romo in that game. How he could keep coming back when he was in such obvious pain is truly remarkable.

On Monday morning the only thing on Romo that was not hurting was his pajamas.

Now we welcome in the Ravens who can put a lick on him. On top of that they have the modern version of Thurman's Thieves who make plays on the football. Romo will have to fit the ball in to tight coverage all game long. The key to this game is the WRs. All four of them need to spread the field and put Baltimore on their heels. I expect Garrett to really move the ball all over the intermediate zone areas to accomplish this.

This should put less pressure on Tony to be precise, but will force him to make faster reads. He flourishes at that and as he succeeds his confidence will grow.

This game begins the transition back to Offensive powerhouse. Two things will drive that. The things I described above and the Defense giving us a short field. I expect to see the Ravens playing a lot of Chorus line Offense. 1-2-3 kick, 1-2-3 kick.

Some takeaways would be icing.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I expect a handful of three and outs giving our offense a short field to work on.

Running on these guys will be super tough but as the Steelers showed on Sunday if you give your QB a little bit of time there are going to be plenty of open guys in their secondary.

Romo just needs to stay away from Ed Reed. Don't throw anywhere near him. :)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hos

All valid possible reasons.

The IGS society on the forum is not going to like this thread - AT ALL!

:laugh1:

bootyhunta

Reaction score
It might have something to do with us playing the #1 and #3 defenses the last two weeks.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I blame Proctor. It is hard to get off crisp throws when you are getting pressure up the middle.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I agree that Romo's finger may not be 100%, however I feel that the offense has not looked as great the past 2 weeks becuase of who the Cowboys played. The Steelers and Giants are both top 5 defenses. Moving the ball this week against the Ravens will likely be much of the same.

Also, I felt the first half against Seattle the offense looked as good as it has all season. Of course, their defense stinks.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I wonder if his thumb isn't 100% either.

I know it's really never been talked about all that much.

But Brady Tinker, and yes I know he's not an All World reporter, talked about the thumb injury early in the season and if we remember Romo did have the thumb injury last season.

And what was happening to his passes then?

They were sailing high. Same thing now.

His hand isn't going to be right until the offseason. And I guarantee that game in Pittsburgh didn't help matters at all.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bootyhunta;2503694 said:
It might have something to do with us playing the #1 and #3 defenses the last two weeks.
It does and I should have mentioned that. I still maintain Tony is having trouble throwing to his left though and that is the direct result of the pressure of throwing across your body. You need a tighter grip to do it. Go grab a wet football and try it. You will see that it is much harder to do if you are right handed. On most passes to the left with a weaker grip they should sail high and right of the target.

Mash

Reaction score
Tony may have issues with his pinky .....

But the main reason IMHO that this offense is struggling is that the OL has played below par this season.

The running game has been poor.

But Concerning Tony......he has to make better decisions....he has to get his other options more involved. When he can get Williams...Crayton...and Bennett involved more....this offense will improve.....teams are keying on Witten and Owens on passing downs....

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really doubt that having Choice instead of Barber is really making any kind of difference. Choice is starting to get respected after his last two games and barber really was not exactly tearing it up before he was injured. Mainly due to having the proctologist starting. To me that is the BIG factor now.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I can sum it up real easy.

1. Romo's finger - he just doesn't have the same touch and accuracy he normaly does

2. Proctor - anytime he plays, the running game stalls and Romo is running for his life. Its tough to put up alot of points when those two things are happening.

3. Garrett's lack of adjustments to the league catching up to him - he went weeks and weeks just allowing teams to take TO totally out of the game and never figured out a way to counter it or burn them from some other one on one matchup

4. Playing alot of top 10 defenses lately. We put up 35 and 34 against SF and Seattle since Romo came back. We put up 20 or less against Wash, Pitt, and NY who are all tough defenses. Not a real big deal.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Good points.

I've also thought that Romo isn't himself. You could just tell he didn't have the confidence in the Pittsburgh game to drive the ball into the wind to a WR. It seemed to me that is why he threw to Witten so much.

But I have to say in TO's defense, I've watched several games and found myself saying out loud by the mid second quarter, "where is TO"?

It's amazing to me that a guy who is the 2nd in all time TDs by a WR can disappear from our offense for so long. I simply don't believe he's over the hill.

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo isn't even attempting it to throw to Crayton or RW in my opinion, which has little to do with his pinkie.... It could be that he doesn't see them, Garrett isn't calling enough plays that have them at earlier progressions and so on and so forth...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
bootyhunta;2503694 said:

Exactly. Romo looked fine against Seattle and San Fran.

I seriously doubt the offense will roll this Saturday against another great defense... But maybe so.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2503736 said:
Romo isn't even attempting it to throw to Crayton or RW in my opinion, which has little to do with his pinkie.... It could be that he doesn't see them, Garrett isn't calling enough plays that have them at earlier progressions and so on and so forth...

Really because I saw Crayton in the last game with 3 balls going to him. 1 for the TD, one for a 1st and 1 dropped. He also got the ball to Austin and he did go to RW on 3 different occations.

juck

Reaction score
I would like to see Austin or Pac take a return back for 6.I posted earlier this week wondering why Romos acuracy is off.I do believe its his hand also.I wonder though,why he never ever throws a slant with these two big wrs we have.

khiladi

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2503743 said:
Really because I saw Crayton in the last game with 3 balls going to him. 1 for the TD, one for a 1st and 1 dropped. He also got the ball to Austin and he did go to RW on 3 different occations.

In the last game... This season doesn't just consist of the 'last game'... It took a meeting with Jason Garrett and all the WRs to get a TD to a wide-open Crayton...

One more thing:

When accuracy and rhythm is off, you shorten the routes to try and get your QB in a routine... That is sorely lacking in the great guru that is JG...

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I think its because none of our receivers Owens, Crayton, Williams, and Witten are that fast, and that good at getting seperation. Austin has the speed to get some room, but thats about it.

Tony is forced to jam the ball in tight spaces with most of these guys. Thats why I'm hoping 11 isn't going to be another 19.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
juckie;2503744 said:
I would like to see Austin or Pac take a return back for 6.I posted earlier this week wondering why Romos acuracy is off.I do believe its his hand also.I wonder though,why he never ever throws a slant with these two big wrs we have.
Because with CBs jamming them at the LOS we aren't running slants. They are having to break to the outside to get open. A jam is designed to take away a slant route.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bootyhunta;2503694 said:
:hammer:
Good defenses make good offenses look bad. It's what they do. And we get the #2 and #3 defenses in the next 2 weeks (the Giants are actually #6 now). The offense looked fine against SF and Seattle.

Mind you, I don't think Hos is wrong. Procter is a problem, Romo's finger is probably still a problem, Barber's toe is clearly still a problem. But the offense could get all the way back to being a powerhouse and still look pretty bad against the Ravens and Eagles - let's not forget that. If the offense sputters the next two weeks and then suddenly puts up gobs of points against AZ or MIN in a playoff game, it's not because the offense is really different.

Looking at Football Outsiders' statistics (all caveats noted), this offense has olayed like an elite unit in 3 of the last 4 games. The exception, of course, is the PIT game, where the wind and cold contributed to a miserable 4th quarter.