OPINION: The Reason the Offense Isn't Firing On All Cylinders

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2503973 said:
If that player helps us win a championship, do you think he deserves 45 million?

I know what I would answer.

Judging from everything I've seen from Roy Williams so far in Dallas, and during his time in Detroit - I seriously doubt that he is the missing piece to our Super Bowl puzzle. He moves the chains, and has solid hands. I guess I remember him being a deep threat against us. I remember him leaping over corners in the red zone. I guess I built an image of RW11 before I got to see the actual product, which again - reminds me a whole hell of a lot like Keyshawn Johnson.

I think we are one more great draft away from having a 'dynasty' - and I mean that. We have so much young talent, and they are starting to play with a swagger.

RW11 is a bonus, but I'm starting to be concerned of whether or not he has already hit his ceiling.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jobberone;2504001 said:
I was talking about the Giants game mostly but all season we haven't thrown slants much.

Also I wasn't talking about everytime. But the Giants and Pittsburg brought a lot of zone blitzes as well as safeties and corners. And we have a bad time of picking it up. It wasn't until Red beat them enough times that they stopped with it so much.

There is no reason why we can't get some hot reads on those. Not expecting them to beat it everytime or make that read and play everytime. And yes nothing always happens.
The guy I'd like to see get a slant in is anyone in the slot. Austin on the outside might be fun to see as well. The slants will come when they can't take away the middle of the field. Thus far that has been a Defensive focus against us. You make them pay by going deep, but that hasn't been working well since the early part of the season. Brad couldn't exploit it at all and Tony is recovering from a hand injury. Kind of limits the effectiveness of deep outs.

newlander

Reaction score
It's a good thread and very valid points. But I'm still stubborn enough to blame it MOSTLY on the Oline: Colombo is the only one having a good year IMO. Darn shame about Holland...............

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
this offense is not playing GREAT (because it has been good enough)....because of the OL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2504013 said:
Judging from everything I've seen from Roy Williams so far in Dallas, and during his time in Detroit - I seriously doubt that he is the missing piece to our Super Bowl puzzle. He moves the chains, and has solid hands. I guess I remember him being a deep threat against us. I remember him leaping over corners in the red zone. I guess I built an image of RW11 before I got to see the actual product, which again - reminds me a whole hell of a lot like Keyshawn Johnson.

I think we are one more great draft away from having a 'dynasty' - and I mean that. We have so much young talent, and they are starting to play with a swagger.

RW11 is a bonus, but I'm starting to be concerned of whether or not he has already hit his ceiling.

Before you judge a player, he has to get the opportunity to make a play. I have not seen Roy Williams drop but one pass since he's been here. I have not seen any deep balls thrown his way that were catchable and could have gone for TDs. He doesn't get thrown to much in the Redzone so I can't say he's not a play maker. He is open but he's not being targeted. I don't think it's fair to lable him just yet. However, if you want to call him Keyshawn, that's fine. Yeah, I think he's worth it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Like many have said earlier, I dont think his fifth metacarpal has anything to do with the offenses "struggling".

I think it has to do with the weather in pittsburgh, the fact that he faced a complex defense for the first time ever and then played another terrific defense in the NY Giants. I think the matchup of our offensive line vs the giants defensive line is a mismatch for us. There atheticsm absolutely eliminates our ability to run the ball and that was without Fred Robbins.

and by the way Hudson houck called Fred Robbins their best defensive lineman....so him being out was big and we still couldnt run.

Once you cant run, the defense can just blitz like crazy. Romo has been under alot of pressure the last two games and it has showed. I also think he has been suffering from his wr and TE running the wrong routes, free lancing and simply giving up on plays.

I expect it to continue the next two weeks. Good defenses with secondaries that catch the ball.

His hand looked pretty good against seattle who couldnt rush the passer to save their life. he put on a clinic on thanksgiving.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile;2504025 said:
The guy I'd like to see get a slant in is anyone in the slot. Austin on the outside might be fun to see as well. The slants will come when they can't take away the middle of the field. Thus far that has been a Defensive focus against us. You make them pay by going deep, but that hasn't been working well since the early part of the season. Brad couldn't exploit it at all and Tony is recovering from a hand injury. Kind of limits the effectiveness of deep outs.

The one to go to is the one who is in single coverage and hopefully not being pressed. That's probably not going to happen unless they're laying off or someone makes a mistake. The slot is fine esp with Austin there. But I'll take TO or Roy. Someone needs to make the read and react to it. I probably just don't understand enough and can't see enough to figure out what they're doing.

I do agree with you about Tony being injured and not throwing the ball well. I'm thinking its multifactorial partly his hand, partly bad mechanics and mostly from the rush/pressure.

I also disagree some about Proctor. He's part of the problem for sure. He's also not all of it by far. They are having a hard time picking up the blitz well. And the problem is more Proctor, Davis and Colombo at least in the last game. But the entire line had trouble picking up the blitz against the Giants esp Davis and Colombo.

What's the deal with that? Those guys have been around a long time. They should know better. Go look at the first qtr plus and focus on those three in particular but the entire line. Oh yeah. Proctor got beat three times in just the first qtr plus. But watch the other two.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
We're ranked 19th in rushing attempts; and it's not like we're forced to pass because we're not getting blown out game after game, so this ranking is self-imposed/chosen. And our passing plays are often vanilla, focusing on the TEs instead of WRs as primary targets. Again, this is chosen since the only other teams who historically make the TEs #1 options are ones with no legit WRs; that's not the case here. Also, Romo is seldom rolled out, where he can be most dangerous against a defense; instead, he is left to stay in a pocket that has been challenged all year to hold the point of attack. But by forcing Romo to stay witih a constantly collapsing pocket, most throwing lanes to the outside - where the WRs do business - are taken away, leaving the TEs and running-backs as the only option. By the way, we hardly throw to the running-backs as an option. We also don't run enough screens with out backs.

All these can be directly changed, first and foremost, by to Offensive Coordinator's actions. Let's no blame the chess pieces when the chess player doesn't bring his own A-game week in and week out.

Need I say more?

CHECKMATE! :D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's good to roll him out but with all the blitzing if you're not careful and lucky you will roll him into the blitzer. The pass blocking problem is not all physical either.

MONT17

Reaction score
Romo has problems throwing outside the numbers Im willing to bet over 3/4 of his picks are thrown to outside the numbers along with inside the redzone where arm strength is key... or very key as some ppl like to say!

This team may have too many weapons for Romo.

Injuries cut Aikmans career short so you can expect the same with Romo until Jerry gets it through his thick skull you need to protect the franchise QB!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys22;2503726 said:
I can sum it up real easy.

1. Romo's finger - he just doesn't have the same touch and accuracy he normaly does

2. Proctor - anytime he plays, the running game stalls and Romo is running for his life. Its tough to put up alot of points when those two things are happening.

3. Garrett's lack of adjustments to the league catching up to him - he went weeks and weeks just allowing teams to take TO totally out of the game and never figured out a way to counter it or burn them from some other one on one matchup

4. Playing alot of top 10 defenses lately. We put up 35 and 34 against SF and Seattle since Romo came back. We put up 20 or less against Wash, Pitt, and NY who are all tough defenses. Not a real big deal.

:hammer: