OPINION: There is NOT a true #1 wide receiver in this draft

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
According to sources Santonio Holmes is dropping down teams draft boards. He skipped the combines which was a mistake as Sinorice Moss and Chad Jackson put on a pretty good show. Sinorice Moss is believed by many to be the top wideout in the draft after putting on a good show at the Senior Bowl and then putting up great times at the combine. Chad Jackson ran the fastest 40 coming in at 4.32 and he isn't a small guy so teams are definately looking at that.

I might add a comment by Pat Kirwan that after talking to several wide receiver coaches at the combine that the consences is there is NOT a true #1 wide receiver in this draft. that is a guy who will command rolled coverage or double coverage.

for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

THE GRYPHON

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Say it ain't so Santonio!

Dumb move by him...It wasn't like he was a lock for anything.

I know he'll work out at Ohio St...But he should have went to the Combine.

Then again he should have stayed for his senior year at OSU!

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Well this just means that the TO deal will look that much better, get er done...

ravidubey

Reaction score
MRTRIPOD said:
Chad Jackson Is A Great Person And Player!
UF doesn't have the best history in the world. Santonio Holmes was productive and now will be drafted by a competitive team. I have a feeling he's Terry Glenn all over again.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
I really like Holmes. This draft doesn't have an undisputed great reciever in the mold of Fitzgerlad or Randy Moss. But Holmes is a guy who has Terry Glenn type abilities in the passing game and he is an above average run blocker. I'd take him any day.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The clear cut number one WR in this years draft......

Vernon Davis.... T.E. Maryland

Bizwah

Reaction score
I disagree that there are "no number one WRs in this draft".

Now, there aren't many WRs that will step in and impact a team immediately.

I think there are a lot of players with potential to develop into a number one WR. But it's gonna take a lot of time.

That being said, I don't think any WR in this draft is worth a first round pick.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Typhus said:

That dude is not making it out of the top ten, much less to the 18 pick.

Manster54

Reaction score
Typhus said:

I'm not sure he could pull off wide receiver, but can you imagine him playing H back like Chris Cooley does for the Commanders? :eek:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Someone will draft Moss in round 1, and he will have an immediate impact as a #3 receiver working against the guy covering the slot....he'll be a little terror in that role. Whether he'll ever become more than a #2 is debatable.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Someone will draft Moss in round 1, and he will have an immediate impact as a #3 receiver working against the guy covering the slot....he'll be a little terror in that role. Whether he'll ever become more than a #2 is debatable.

Philadelphia seems to make alot of sense in taking Holmes, though I'm sure not in a #3 capacity. They have to do something at wideout.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Say it ain't so Santonio!

Dumb move by him...It wasn't like he was a lock for anything.

I know he'll work out at Ohio St...But he should have went to the Combine.

Never fear......Ted Ginn Jr. in '07

kartr

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
According to sources Santonio Holmes is dropping down teams draft boards. He skipped the combines which was a mistake as Sinorice Moss and Chad Jackson put on a pretty good show. Sinorice Moss is believed by many to be the top wideout in the draft after putting on a good show at the Senior Bowl and then putting up great times at the combine. Chad Jackson ran the fastest 40 coming in at 4.32 and he isn't a small guy so teams are definately looking at that.

I might add a comment by Pat Kirwan that after talking to several wide receiver coaches at the combine that the consences is there is NOT a true #1 wide receiver in this draft. that is a guy who will command rolled coverage or double coverage.

for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

THE GRYPHON

Since Chad Jackson is what just 20 or 21 at the most, I think that statement is an exaggeration. I don't believe they can predict how he'll develop over time, after all T.O. was a third round pick coming out of college. Would they have let him fall that far if they really knew what his talent was? Would they have let Brady fall to the 6th round? They're just speculating, because we all know in the draft that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. That's why I don't believe that there are draft busts, I believe that the coaches and scouts just missed something when players surprise or disappoint. After all, coaches and scouts are human, no matter how good they are at spotting talent. I remember a few of them passing on a certain ex-Cowboy RB that wore 22.

lkelly

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:

At that point he probably would have had about 5 kids. Is a vasectomy covered under the NFL health care plan?

ghst187

Reaction score
yeah but how many #1 WRs are there in the NFL?
If there was a clear cut, can't miss #1 guy in the draft he'd go in the top 5 or 10.
Even if a team has a #1 guy, a #2 is just about as important anymore. You need both and they disallow a defense from focusing on just one guy. What would Carolina have been able to do if Steve Smith had a effective #2 guy playing alongside him?
I think Santonio is going to be a solid #3 for his first year or two then a productive #2 guy, which isn't that bad. TG is a #2 guy and our offense would die if we lost him. Santonio reminds me a lot of TG.

I do think that Chad Jackson has bigtime potential. I think he has the potential to develop into a #1 guy. Good player with some size, speed, and hands. I would take Jackson over Holmes although either would be fine.

Moss is probably a career #3 guy.

I like Stovall. Big target and great athlete. He needs to be quicker though (not to be confused with fast). If he was quicker, he could get more separation.

Next year is the year of the WR draft....
not sold on Ted Ginn as a WR, except for his speed which is amazing.
love Calvin Johnson from Ga Tech I believe. This guy could turn into another TO. He would dominate if he had a more effective and accurate QB.