Opinion: Who had better draft coverage?

acheman

Reaction score
Before Saturday I would have bet money that I would watch NFL Network coverage more than ESPN's, but after all was said and done, I actually preferred ESPN (except for that stupid runway bit they kept showing with the new breed of NFL players). Only rarely did I find myself flipping over to the NFL Network. Which did you watch? Which did you enjoy more? Which did you think had more comprehensive coverage?

superpunk

Reaction score
I loved Mayock. ESPN's format kills, and it's familiar, but Mayock and Chavous were better than ANYTHING on ESPN.

cowboys101

Reaction score
I HATE espn draft coverage. All they ever do is talk about the same crap.

When a team is on the clock how about talking about that team. Then after the pick talk about the guy drafted for a couple of mins. Then talk about the next team on the clock.

In the 2nd round teams were picking and they would flash up the name and keep talking abut some guy drafted 5 hrs ago.

I hate draft coverage!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I watched the NFLN except for commercials.

If one was looking for low-key intelligent analysis with an emphasis on the players drafted combined with great footage of most picks' games then that was the network for you.

If one wanted an emphasis on "the draft" itself and trying to be bigger than the picks then ESPN had that covered.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I liked the NFL Network for player highlights. It was very good for a rookie effort.

But ESPN won because of the tradition, and the fact it had a worthless Europe game on during the 4th round.:mad:

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
cowboys101 said:
When a team is on the clock how about talking about that team. Then after the pick talk about the guy drafted for a couple of mins. Then talk about the next team on the clock.

In the 2nd round teams were picking and they would flash up the name and keep talking abut some guy drafted 5 hrs ago.

I hate draft coverage!

Absolutely, positively could not agree with you more. It was real bad this year. I liked it last year, but this year after the first round, its almost as if the rest of the draft was just improved. I can see this in round 5-6-7. But round 2??????? You got to be kidding me. It was a farce.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I flipped to NFL Network whenever possible, but watched ESPN just out of traditional habits I guess. But really, NFL Network analysts, Mayock is better than Kiper IMO. For now, Mayock doesn't have very high opinion of him like Kiper has. He just does his commentary and gives honest opinion.

Besides NFL Network has more player highlights than ESPN. Its just that they had break in coverage on second day, when they didn't start as early as ESPN. I will probably watch NFL Network more next year than ESPN.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I got tired of ESPN's coverage, it would of been nice if they actually talked about the picks every once in a while.

cowboys101

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
Absolutely, positively could not agree with you more. It was real bad this year. I liked it last year, but this year after the first round, its almost as if the rest of the draft was just improved. I can see this in round 5-6-7. But round 2??????? You got to be kidding me. It was a farce.

I agree that in the late rounds I can see talking about other stuff but atleast talk about the team that is on the clock. Talk about that teams other picks earlier and about their offseason moves.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I like Mayock, but found myself watching ESPN.

The one thing ESPN had that topped NFL Network was that they kept the Ticker up even while commercials were on, so you could see the clock ticking down on the pick.

That was a nice feature on ESPN's part.

Too many times both networks were on commercials at the same time.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wish I would have kept NFL Network.

Had it last year and I guess it was still growing but at the time did not want to pay extra for the same 3-4 shows once the season started.

So I watched ESPN and caught myself turning the volume down on it and turning the volume up on the Ticket net station coverage.

I kept getting irritated at ESPN talking about this player or that player already in the NFL while 5-10 picks go off the board.

Then when the would play catch up for those picks they would just show a list and spend a max of 10-30 seconds talking about each invidual pick.

Like someone else stated earlier it was annoying. It is one thing one day two but it was going on in day one.

However I did have to turn the volume up every so often to get a break from norm on the ticket.

Love his enthusiasm and knowledge but too much of his voice just grates on your nerves.

However as a cowboys fan it was the best way to get the cowboys perspective on the draft. Plus you could not beat the new ticket features this year with talking with the picks, getting the picks before tags announced it and also hearing JJ and Bill talking to the pics.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
ESPN the first day, NFL the second.

ESPN's look is much more polished plus their banter is better. That said, something happens after the second round and they stop talking about picks and more about players drafted long ago. Can be annoying.

The second day on ESPN was almost worthless. Didn't talk about anything really. NFL also goes away but Mayock was still harping on a few picks which were nice, but for anyone looking for round the clock coverage, it's not to be found.

That ESPN runway bit was terrible, just dumb, dumb, dumb. I did get a kick out of Leinart sulking for 90 minutes though. :D

acheman

Reaction score
I guess I thought the draft tracker ESPN had was better, in that you could see each pick flash up as they were selected,as well as previous picks by said team as well as when their next pick would be (especially helpful after trades), not a minute or two later under the Breaking News scroll. Plus on NFL Network I kept seeing Adam Schefter and Kara Henderson with interviews and around the league stuff that was not necessarily about the team on the clock at that time. Both had pros and cons, I probably watched more ESPN out of tradition as well, I just thought beforehand I would prefer the NFL Network, but just fell back into old hat so to speak.

Murph80

Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy said:
I very much enjoyed ESPN on mute with The Ticket for audio.
This is the route I went with too. ESPN was good on day 2 without that half wit Berman.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I listened to The Ticket's coverage (via internet) throughout both days.

The TV was on, but mostly muted; I flipped between the NFL Network and ESPN. I'd turn on the TV sound during Ticket commercials and when there was Cowboy coverage on TV.

I have to say, I really liked The Ticket coverage. They maintained the Cowboys slant, which for me kept things more relevant and interesting. Spagnola did a fine job of keeping Hitzges (who was also quite good) from getting too creative with his interpretations ....

The oddest moment was when Hitzges asked Pat McQuistan if he and his twin brother Paul ever tried to trick the girls they dated by swapping them .... Norm didn't quite understand how his question could be misinterpreted (it was, after all, a very long weekend for those guys).

I thought ESPN and the NFL Network were both quite good too.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub said:
I listened to The Ticket's coverage (via internet) throughout both days.

The TV was on, but mostly muted; I flipped between the NFL Network and ESPN. I'd turn on the TV sound during Ticket commercials and when there was Cowboy coverage on TV.

I have to say, I really liked The Ticket coverage. They maintained the Cowboys slant, which for me kept things more relevant and interesting. Spagnola did a fine job of keeping Hitzges (who was also quite good) from getting too creative with his interpretations ....

The oddest moment was when Hitzges asked Pat McQuistan if he and his twin brother Paul ever tried to trick the girls they dated by swapping them .... Norm didn't quite understand how his question could be misinterpreted (it was, after all, a very long weekend for those guys).

I thought ESPN and the NFL Network were both quite good too.

That and norms annual, and even the guys on the ticket groan during it, little piece he does with some of the strange names of players.

billyrags

Reaction score
If you are reading this, then you have internet access. If you have internet access or a radio that can pick up the Ticket and you are not listening to their draft coverage, then you are crazy.

The best thing that I've ever picked up on this Cowboys board is listening to the Ticket draft broadcast.

I had the chat up on this board, NFL.com draft tracker in another window and espn/nfl network on mute while streaming audio from the Ticket. ABSOLUTE HEAVEN!

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I was listening to "The Ticket", ESPN Radio & TV.....While in the CZ Chat Room.