Opinions on biggest needs

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Heading into the draft give your top needs both offensively and defensively in order. I think we have more holes than most realize:

Offense
1. A starting LG
2. A starting WR
3. A backup TE
4. A backup RB

Defense
1. LB
2. S
3. DT
4. LB

It seems impossible to adequately fill these holes in the draft. I noticed that the cowboys only visited with top OL prospects or late round prospects. Perhaps they’re thinking if they can’t grab a top LG prospect then they’ll have to move La’el to LG and draft depth.

ghst187

Reaction score
Heading into the draft give your top needs both offensively and defensively in order. I think we have more holes than most realize:

Offense
1. A starting LG
2. A starting WR
3. A backup TE
4. A backup RB

Defense
1. LB
2. S
3. DT
4. LB

It seems impossible to adequately fill these holes in the draft. I noticed that the cowboys only visited with top OL prospects or late round prospects. Perhaps they’re thinking if they can’t grab a top LG prospect then they’ll have to move La’el to LG and draft depth.

Great question. Not exclusive to the draft, we could have an answer or two already in house but here’s how I see our needs.
1) LB
2) FS
3) LG
4) WR
5) DT
6) RB
7) TE

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What if Witten or Zeke go down? I think TE and RB are huge needs...?
You comfortable with swaim and Rod smith starting ?
I agree with TE being a need. Add that in there. RB can be addressed in the later rounds. I should have prefaced my BPA strategy is for first two days of draft. After that, straight need makes more sense.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I’m okay with this. LB scares me more than anything. Not worried about TE as I’m willing to give Rico the chance to win that spot if he’s supposed to be the truth. Same with RB as finding depth there is easier.

Verdammung

Reaction score
Great question. Not exclusive to the draft, we could have an answer or two already in house but here’s how I see our needs.
1) LB
2) FS
3) LG
4) WR
5) DT
6) RB
7) TE

This is more or less the order I'd stack them.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Going by the 30 and the Dallas Day visits and the Private Workouts......Here is my guess about how Dallas sees their needs.
1st Round:
WR -- Ridley, Moore, Sutton
DT -- Vea, Payne
DE -- Landry
LB -- LVE, Evans
I am guessing that Dallas will draft one of these 8 guys and will adjust accordingly.

2nd Round
OL: Hernandez, Corbatt, BSmith, Daniels, CWilliams, Miller, McGlinchy
They have interviewed or seen all of these, so I think they are waiting to see who will fall to 50 here.

3rd Round
** Determined by 1st round pick --- with this to say.....they interviewed enough WR that they seem to be the fall back if what they are looking for isn't available in that round so I won't list all of them.
LB - Warner, Jefferson, Leonard
DT -- Shepard, Speaks, Bryan, Hand

4th Round
Safety -- Elliot, White, Edmunds, Walker, Moore ---most S they interviewed seem to have this rating.
4th round comp pick with whomever here above happens to fall or a WR. (or maybe OL Madison, DE Key, FB Flowers)

5th Round
Running Back
Chris Warren, Hines, Ito Smith.........who falls

6th and 7th rounds
Developmental QB -- Hill, Lagow, Kincaide, Davis
OL -- Koroma, Harrison
1T -- PJ Hall
S -- Kalu
CB-- Chris Jones

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggest needs in order of importance:

1. A real GM
2. Starting LB
3. WR (probably 2)
4. S
5. DT
6. TE
7. Backup LB
8. Swing OL
9. Backup RB

Btw, if we had a real GM, our needs list wouldn’t look so long because we would not have had so many unnecessary risks that didn’t pan out.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
BPA in any order:
1-Tech
LB
S
LG
WR
LB
TE
*RB (Later rounds)

WhizKid

Reaction score
NEEDS (no particular order)
* A WR who can get open on the outside
* LG
* 2-down LB and some depth
* Another rotational DT
* Free Safety
* 3rd Down back who can catch and block

WANTS
* Some more depth on the EDGE to rush passer
* Some more depth at OT to develop in case of an exodus next year
* Another QB to compete for the backup job

I may be in the minority, but I think TE is a position we are fine at. We've actually been alright at picking TEs out, they just don't get the necessary playing time to develop and showcase their talents, because Witten has been such a rock in our lineup. I like what Jarwin and Swaim have flashed. Rico is a work in progress, so with him it's wait and see.
But if the talent is there and you have a chance to get Goedert because he fell, I think you draft him. Same with Ian Thomas.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Just purely by need:

LG: No way in hell we let Marcus Martin or Chaz Green start the whole season.

LB: We're missing a part-time MLB starter and have zero depth. Going to probably need 2 LBs.

DT: We need a real 1 tech.

WR: Lots of bodies but few good players.

FS: Down a starter after Jones is moving to corner. With Heath, Woods, and Frazier, at least we do have some options to plug that hole.

RB: I guess Rod Smith could fill in for Zeke if he missed time, but I'd love to get a backup on a cheap 4 year rookie contract.

visionary

Reaction score
Biggest needs in order of importance:

1. A real GM
1a. A real HC
2. Starting LB
3. WR (probably 2)
4. S
5. DT
6. TE
7. Backup LB
8. Swing OL
9. Backup RB

Btw, if we had a real GM, our needs list wouldn’t look so long because we would not have had so many unnecessary risks that didn’t pan out.

FIFY

Croomraider

Reaction score
I don't see too many people concerned with the CB position and that maybe scares me the most.
Lewis looked great last year. Awuzie was injured but looked good when on the field. Brown has looked
great at slot coverage, but not so good on the edge.

For those of you who thinks our Corners are fine, please re-watch the Chargers game. We gave
up 434 yards and 3 tds through the air.

If Lewis or Awuzie goes down they will move Brown to the island and this defense will get bad fast.
Not to mention how young our edge guys are, so our expectations might be unrealistic.

I think we need another competitive corner. This player can still play the dime, and be ready to
go if someone gets hurt.

If Sean Lee gets hurt, well yeah, LB is probably worst off. I like Jaylon Smith in running situations,
however, I'm not convinced yet of his cover skills.

Our wideouts are the worst in the NFL but we our a run first team who should focus on defense in the draft.
Our offense is still good enough to score 20 points a game.

I see a bunch of defensive players falling in this draft. We need defense.

1) LB
2) CB
3) WR
4) DT

rkell87

Reaction score
Good head coach

Mike linebacker (or will and Lee kicks inside)

Left guard

1 technique Defensive tackle

Free safety

3rd running back

Developmental linebacker

Hadenough

Reaction score
In my opinion the biggest needs for Dallas are in this order are
LB
LT
S
WR
TE
DT
RB

DanA

Reaction score
I don't see too many people concerned with the CB position and that maybe scares me the most.
Lewis looked great last year. Awuzie was injured but looked good when on the field. Brown has looked
great at slot coverage, but not so good on the edge.

For those of you who thinks our Corners are fine, please re-watch the Chargers game. We gave
up 434 yards and 3 tds through the air.

If Lewis or Awuzie goes down they will move Brown to the island and this defense will get bad fast.
Not to mention how young our edge guys are, so our expectations might be unrealistic.

I think we need another competitive corner. This player can still play the dime, and be ready to
go if someone gets hurt.

If Sean Lee gets hurt, well yeah, LB is probably worst off. I like Jaylon Smith in running situations,
however, I'm not convinced yet of his cover skills.

Our wideouts are the worst in the NFL but we our a run first team who should focus on defense in the draft.
Our offense is still good enough to score 20 points a game.

I see a bunch of defensive players falling in this draft. We need defense.

1) LB
2) CB
3) WR
4) DT

Can’t say I agree.

You want to carry five CB’s and at the moment it looks like we’ve got;
1.Awuzie
2.B.Jones
3.Lewis
4.A.Brown
5.D.Thomas/M.White.

We’ll get a look at some UDFA’s and maybe a 6/7th rounder...that’s all we need IMO.