Opinions on biggest needs

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just purely by need:

LG: No way in hell we let Marcus Martin or Chaz Green start the whole season.

LB: We're missing a part-time MLB starter and have zero depth. Going to probably need 2 LBs.

DT: We need a real 1 tech.

WR: Lots of bodies but few good players.

FS: Down a starter after Jones is moving to corner. With Heath, Woods, and Frazier, at least we do have some options to plug that hole.

RB: I guess Rod Smith could fill in for Zeke if he missed time, but I'd love to get a backup on a cheap 4 year rookie contract.
I agree on the needs,
but I think at LG, they added Cam Flemming to help prevent what happened last year.
It allows Collins to play LG.
In fact, that is who is listed there on the current depth chary.
Marcus Martin was added fir more depth

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree with TE being a need. Add that in there. RB can be addressed in the later rounds. I should have prefaced my BPA strategy is for first two days of draft. After that, straight need makes more sense.

The two fourth round picks may well handle both of these needs.

morasp

Reaction score
Free safety. The reason everyone is excited about the Earl Thomas trade is that a really good deep safety makes a difference in the pass happy NFL. The problem is the Seahawks asking price is really high, he isn't getting any younger, and he would have a pretty high cap hit. Maybe Woods can be that guy but I really don't want to go into the season banking on it. They need to take a hard look at guys like Reid and Bates on the second day of the draft. Besides like linebacker the position is really thin right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Flemming.
Who starter for New England last year
Im not saying there isnt need...just that the death is better

My question is this then:

If you're simply shifting Collins back to left guard and then starting Fleming, you're not "preventing what happened last year".

You're still then without a swing tackle and if one of your starters gets hurt, you're looking at a repeat of 2017.

Croomraider

Reaction score
Can’t say I agree.

You want to carry five CB’s and at the moment it looks like we’ve got;
1.Awuzie
2.B.Jones
3.Lewis
4.A.Brown
5.D.Thomas/M.White.

We’ll get a look at some UDFA’s and maybe a 6/7th rounder...that’s all we need IMO.

If Jones is a true corner this year, then that changes everything. However, we would still need
a safety or get Earl Thomas in a Cowboys uniform. If this happens then our secondary
would be really good.

DFWJC

Reaction score

If you're simply shifting Collins back to left guard and then starting Fleming, you're not "preventing what happened last year".

You're still then without a swing tackle and if one of your starters gets hurt, you're looking at a repeat of 2017.
I hear you....was thinking the discussion was about immediate need as starters. And I know Flemming for a full year is dicey anyway, so they need to draft someone.
In the situation you described, I would assume Collins would rotate to RT and Marcus martin or Looney would plug in a day at RG. Then again, we could be right back to the Chaz green show for a game or two...yikes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear you....was thinking the discussion was about immediate need as starters. And I know Flemming for a full year is dicey anyway, so they need to draft someone.
In the situation you described, I would assume Collins would rotate to RT and Marcus martin or Looney would plug in a day at RG. Then again, we could be right back to the Chaz green show for a game or two...yikes.

Exactly my point.

Scary, right?
:omg:

kskboys

Reaction score
If Chaz makes this roster, I'm going to be POed.

kskboys

Reaction score

We really need to draft a nice young OL w/ a good skillset in the mid rounds. Geron Christian in the 4th would be nice.

Brett Toth, Zach Crabtree, KC McDermott all nice mid round guys. David Bright would be a nice swing OL, and should be there in the 5th. Might never b more than a backup, but he'd be a decent player all over the OL.

Tristan

Reaction score
I covet WR but we have to get a good guard even if it means trading up in the second. We could go lb & dt for the rest of the draft.

Thing is nothing helps a defense more than an offense that gets first downs so they stay on the sideline fresh, healthy and ready to rock!

Watching the L side of our line go from the best in the nfl to the chaz green J coop combo was pathetic and ruined everything.

I like the guy from NE if he had to play but Laell seems to be hinting he aint moving back to guard even though I would be all for it if we got a guy like Mglinchey or J Brown to develope along w Fleming at T.

With a good O line, its possible Dak and Zeke play like MVP candidates this year imo.