Opponent Fans in another Team's Country/Message Board

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
elkthestar said:
Phoenix, i live in South Jersey and im a die-hard Cowboy fan! Im sure you can imagine what i have to go through with so many eagles fans including my father have to say about my team.

ETS,

Now you know what I'm talkking about!:) You must certainly catch it from time-to-time (or is that an understatement>).

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
stag hunter said:
because the only thing I love more than rooting for Dallas, is rooting against the Skins. I probably know just as much about the Skins as I do about the Boys.

You made a classic statement that hones in on the essence of what I'm saying. I try to do that about a couple of opponent teams -- and I'm learning quickly.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Hey Dallas D-Woodson. Look, nobody is trying to question you team loyalty. You didn't even attempt to respond to the question.

Maybe one too many salt water taffys? ;)

lol, to be honest i didn't really read the intial post, im getting changed for work! :(

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I can't say anything about being a fan in enemy territory. I've lived in Texas my whole life and I'm a diehard local fan...Cowboys exclusively rule period in my book!!! I don't much care about any Houston football team at all, especially the Taxscums. Must be the overhyped David Carr's exuberation and Gary Walker's kind words to Jerrah after their first game in 2001. Cowboy fans wont forget that game ever. I can't wait until the next regular season game that the Cowboys play the Texans... Because of the way the Texans went out and made a public item of beating the Cowboys in their first game ever, and how that supposedly rectified their whole existence in the league, I hope the Cowboys completely whip those homers in the next meeting.

Phoenix-Talon said:
Similar to that, do you think existing on another team's message board is a positive, a negative, or indifferent?

I dont' think it means much at all, just another reason to jab, tease, and compare (BS).

Phoenix-Talon said:
It's easy to bash another team because of several reasons ...jealousy, envy, projection, or just going along with the majority to be accepted.

Mostly putrid disgust. Envy? Hardly at all. Anybody who is a Dallas Cowboy fan knows exactly what I mean. Even when you are down and out with the Boys you are part of an elite fanbase of one of the most recognized teams in the world. Probably very similar to being a Yankees or Lakers fan, but I wouldn't know much about that since I'm not a Yankee or Laker fan. Lots of bandwagon jumpers come and go which makes the Cowboys probably a superior choice to most homer fans, but when you can stick with your team through multiple five and elevens through thick and thin you can hold your head high. Probably helps to have five Lombardi trophies, and tons of history. Cowboys forever!!!

Phoenix-Talon said:
I visit several team message boards to obtain information about opponent teams ...who to be concerned about, what's the chances of a win from one-week-to the next. I'll admit, I've actually picked up some respect along my travels through MB systems (even on the Cowbozoys MB -- couldn't resist).

I usually justify and verify by checking on reliable sources elsewhere, not message boards.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
coach316 said:
I don't mean to quibble, but Roger was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. He played one year at the New Mexico Military Institute, a college prep school, in order to get into the Naval Academy. I think because of his grades but I don't remember for sure. You can read all about Roger and his life history in his book: First Down, Lifetime to Go

Hundreds of college athletes, and eventual NFL players, have attended prep schools due to poor grades in HS in order to get into college and a chance to play football.
Doesn't matter where he was born and raised. He is still a New Mexico High School legend. 1 year or 4 years, doesn't matter. He built himself a legend there and is revered or was when I was in High School.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I wonder why most fans in Arizona are Cowboys fans. I realize that the Cardinals have not been in the playoffs much nor are they contenders, but you say that the most popular team in Arizona is Dallas? Sounds like the fans there (I know you're an exception to that rule Hos), prefer to root for a winner rather than stick with the hand they've been dealt.

The I-10 coming from Tucson going toward New Mexico is some of the prettiest landscape in the country. Those mountains are straight out of the Western movies -- Texas also.
People here were fans of the Cowboys long before the Cardinals arrived and they haven't changed. I don't think it has anything to do with winning. That is a perception of Cowboys fans that describes a select few not the overall fan base. It has to do with the teams who are close by. Denver and San Diego would be the alternatives to the Cowboys. They're just more boring and always have been.

By the way, the Cardinals would have more fans in Arizona if they'd have come here as the Winnepeg Jets did. We don't identify with Cardinals, the colors are boring, and they've done nothing to appear willing to relate to the people here.

That country you were talking about is resplendent with History of the Old West and Cowboys. That is what we relate to here.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
I've been a Cowboys fan all my life, and I've spent the last 9 years in San Diego. I didn't really mind the extra coverage of the Chargers, because a) it was mostly amusing due to the rampant suckery of this team for most of the past 9 years, and b) there's no real rivalry between the Cowboys and Chargers. I would have no problem at all if my son grew up a Chargers fan.

I do read and post regularly on Extremeskins. Its not really to learn about the Skins, its more a way to get another teams perspective and compare it to my perspective. For instance, one thing I learned is that fans tend to way overrate the scrubs on their favorite team, and way underrate the scrubs on opposing teams. So thats a mistake I try not to make when looking at the depth on the Cowboys roster. I'm not really learning about the Commanders, I'm learning about the psychology of being a fan, or something.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
This topic may dirrectly impact on some of you, others may empathize, while still others may Not give a damn at all. But it is the off-season, and looking back Of soem of the topics, this one should merit a few responses.

Will those fans (regardless of your franchise affiliation) who live in areas where the predominant NFL team is not your fan base, please stand up! Even if you were'nt born and raised in that particular town, but you know live/work there, would Like to know your feelings about constantly hearing about a team that you may not like/hate.

Similar to that, do you think existing on another team's message board is a positive, a negative, or indifferent?

It's easy to bash another team because of several reasons ...jealousy, envy, projection, or just going along with the majority to be accepted.

I visit several team message boards to obtain information about opponent teams ...who to be concerned about, what's the chances of a win from one-week-to the next. I'll admit, I've actually picked up some respect along my travels through MB systems (even on the Cowbozoys MB -- couldn't resist).

What's your take ...and why do you hate so much ...if you do?

I was born and raised in Ohio, but became a Cowboys fan because of my uncle. Growing up I had no real father figure other than my uncle and because he was a rabid Cowboys fan I became one. I can remember as a very young kid watching the 3 consecutive NFC Championship games and the losses and how heartbroken I was after each one. I still get teased by my aunt for crying over the loss to the foreskins.

I actually tried for one year to switch over to the Browns because I thought being from Ohio I should root for the Browns. I couldn't do it though and found myself back with the Cowboys. Now in every other sport I root for my Ohio teams, I'm a huge Indians, Cavs and Buckeyes fan, but when it comes to football the Cowboys are #1.

I live in Virginia Beach for the last 4 1/2 years before moving to MS in March and I heard nothing but foreskins. Of course as a life long Cowboys fan I have nothing but hatred for the skins. I even dated a girl who's parents were skins fans and let em say on Sundays when the 2 teams met her father and I rarely spoke to one another, although I would get my jabs on.

I rarely visit other teams MB (although I do go to ES, but mainly for the cartoons, those are the best) because as someone said it is mainly a bunch of homers rooting on their teams (this board is no different). As an outsider you are seen as the enemy and for the most part add nothing constuctive to the conversation, although opinions do vary.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm not sure I qualify since I live in Arizona and the top selling and most popular team here is Dallas, not the Cardinals.

I was born and raised in New Mexico but lived for several years in Texas. Dallas was the team of the region and blue has always been my favorite color. On top of that Roger Staubach was a NM HS football legend so he was an instant hero.

When I go to Arizona, I always notice there are more Cowboy fans than Cardinal fans ... and all the Cardinal fans love Emmitt Smith ...

zagnut

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
This topic may dirrectly impact on some of you, others may empathize, while still others may Not give a damn at all. But it is the off-season, and looking back Of soem of the topics, this one should merit a few responses.

Will those fans (regardless of your franchise affiliation) who live in areas where the predominant NFL team is not your fan base, please stand up! Even if you were'nt born and raised in that particular town, but you know live/work there, would Like to know your feelings about constantly hearing about a team that you may not like/hate.

What's your take ...and why do you hate so much ...if you do?

Raised in Commanders country and currently living in Ravens country. As a kid in Northern VA, hearing about the Skins all the time wasn't as horrible as one would think.

There are a lot of Cowboys fans in the DC area. Cowboys Week during the first Gibbs Era would bring a ton of Dallas news all week long. There were even players on the Skins that I grew to like. :eek: It was also great because the Skins scouts and GMs would come on this pre-sports radio show called SportsTalk and talk tons about the draft and about other NFL players.

As far as contributions from fans of other teams, I really like hearing different perspectives or perspectives from "enemy" territory. Even within a fanbase, opinions from someone living in Texas can be unique from those of someone in another state.

I also go to other NFC East teams' message boards to learn about players, injuries, performances in recent games, development and contributions coming from rookies, team turmoil, etc. ExtemeSkins, Giants.com, Warpath, and somewhat IgglePhans (that board format is difficult to read for me - if I knew of a dif Eagles board formatted like this one I'd read it more). Message boards are a great source of links to team articles if nothing else. I do the same thing with college ball (terps fan; visit ACC team boards).

If you're on a board long enough, you figure out pretty quickly who is a blind homer and who is informed, so there's definitely information to be gained. Every board also seems to have at least one member who seems to have an inside source to players or contracts and offer legit breaking news before the larger media can get it out there responsibly.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
zagnut said:
IgglePhans (that board format is difficult to read for me - if I knew of a dif Eagles board formatted like this one I'd read it more). Message boards are a great source of links to team articles if nothing else. I do the same thing with college ball (terps fan; visit ACC team boards).

First off......Go Terps.

And second...

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?

Now let me in on these ACC rival MBs. ;)

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
zagnut said:
Raised in Commanders country and currently living in Ravens country. As a kid in Northern VA, hearing about the Skins all the time wasn't as horrible as one would think.

There are a lot of Cowboys fans in the DC area. Cowboys Week during the first Gibbs Era would bring a ton of Dallas news all week long. There were even players on the Skins that I grew to like. :eek: It was also great because the Skins scouts and GMs would come on this pre-sports radio show called SportsTalk and talk tons about the draft and about other NFL players.

As far as contributions from fans of other teams, I really like hearing different perspectives or perspectives from "enemy" territory. Even within a fanbase, opinions from someone living in Texas can be unique from those of someone in another state.

I also go to other NFC East teams' message boards to learn about players, injuries, performances in recent games, development and contributions coming from rookies, team turmoil, etc. ExtemeSkins, Giants.com, Warpath, and somewhat IgglePhans (that board format is difficult to read for me - if I knew of a dif Eagles board formatted like this one I'd read it more). Message boards are a great source of links to team articles if nothing else. I do the same thing with college ball (terps fan; visit ACC team boards).

If you're on a board long enough, you figure out pretty quickly who is a blind homer and who is informed, so there's definitely information to be gained. Every board also seems to have at least one member who seems to have an inside source to players or contracts and offer legit breaking news before the larger media can get it out there responsibly.

I live In your same area as you. While you do see some Cowbozoys flags on cars, this is truly Skins country. I agree with most everything you said.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I'm one of those few you mentioned.

Born and raised in Atlanta Ga. and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you hear about is Mike Vick this. Alge Crumpler That. Kerney this.. Blah blah blah. But 3-4 years ago when the falcons sucked. NOBODY wore a jersey in public. Nobody mentioned them on the radio sports talk. Nothing. All of the sudden they play well again, the sports bars I call my 2nd home every sunday during the season for years now is packed with Falcons fans out of nowhere. It seemed like they were one of those bacteria that lay dormant for millions of years and suddenly re-emerge. That's the BEST way to describe it. It's REDICULOUS.

Now the news channel shows clips of the Falcons minicamps, and interview coaches. The radio is jammed with falcons "faithfuls."

Basically, I hear so much about the Falcons I realize 80% of fans in ga are fairweather. THE SAME for UGA fans. No offense to any Alumni or students or anyone of actual relation. But the season goes by and UGA is in the lead for the SEC title, and EVERYONE at school has UGA stuff. They lose , guess what? NOTHING. No UGA shirts,hats, or anything. It's embarassing to me as a fan of a team that is located 12 hour drive away. I watch EVERYTHING I can about Dallas, check this board 5-6 times a day and post regularly. Yet I dont live in Dallas, and i've never even been to Dallas in my life.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
Born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska where the "hometown" team is the Seahawks. But it's hardly a hometown team, most people up here root for the team of the city they (or their family) are from.

Alot of Seahawks, Vikings, and bandwagoner fans.

Being as I was born here, I never had a hometown team. I've always rooted for the Oregon Ducks, Boston Celtics and Redsox, and Philadelphia Eagles.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Muhast said:
I'm one of those few you mentioned.

Born and raised in Atlanta Ga. and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you hear about is Mike Vick this. Alge Crumpler That. Kerney this.. Blah blah blah.

Yep, you know do know what I mean!;)