Opportunity Ahead For Jake Ferguson

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, the Cowboys look for something people don't mention when it comes to tight ends: rhythm.

You can teach a little bit of it, but it's like music. Some people are naturally more rhythmically-inclined than others. They have to know where to be and how to accelerate their speed at certain times, so it's not all about flat out speed. The Cowboys like big bodies, of course, because that theoretically works in the physics of football. But I've also noticed they look for the players who are like golden retrievers playing fetch. They just never get tired of the game, and would do it over and over for eternity, if they could.

Look at everyone's personality-type since Novacek (that's as far back as I remember TEs). You can add a lot of personality to you offense with the TE.

Witten is gone, and yes, some of the young guys have had chances to step up. But they're not quite on Witten's level.

Mr. Schultz did get over 800 yards last year, which is nothing to shake a stick at.

Witten only had 347 yards his rookie year, mind you. But he hauled in nearly 65 percent of his targets.

Schultz had 116 yards in his 2018 rookie season, six yards total in 2019, and 615 yards in 2020.

Then, last year, Schultz had a receiving year that got close to showing he could actually play near or maybe just right under Witten's level of play, at least for a season. My guess is he can do it for several. I've been reading how the board seriously undervalues him. But the guy brings his 100% to ever play. He may not be as physically talented as Witten, but he has the same desire to win games as Witten had. And it shows. Same goes for CeeDee Lamb.

For comparison, Witten's sophomore year in 2004 he almost busted a G, racking up 980 yards in receiving. That's quite the accomplishment.

I know some will hate on me for comparing Witten to Schultz. But I'm simply comparing his value from a game-to-game perspective, and while I don't think he'll ever be quite as good as Witten, he can bring the same level of value to our team by doing the things he does with the consistency at which he does it.
Another trait that rarely gets mentioned is balance.

Lack of it is the reason uber athlete Darren McFadden never lived up to his wow athleticism.

An abundance of it is a big reason that limited athlete Emmitt Smith is the all time leading rusher.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Another trait that rarely gets mentioned is balance.

Lack of it is the reason uber athlete Darren McFadden never lived up to his wow athleticism.

An abundance of it is a big reason that limited athlete Emmitt Smith is the all time leading rusher.

I pretty much agree.. Balance, in terms of run blocking, patience or urgency on an specific assignment, discipline, work ethic etc. The Cowboys look for motors on TEs like most people look for motors on DTs.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I wanted them to trade back into the 1st and draft Witten.

I was really irritated with Parcells when they didn't take Witten in the 2nd.

I still can't believe he fell to the 3rd. He was as close to a guaranteed quality starter as it gets. Only Zack Martin was more of a lock. NFL teams must have traveled to the future, saw him on ESPN and thought he was mentally challenged...

Witten is just a super nice guy. Not a fake bone in his body, so he doesn't know how to put on for the uppity, busy-body crowd. I personally think he would have been an OK broadcaster had he worked on it some more. But I'm not a particularly judgmental person.

Either way, he's probably one of the nicest guys who's ever played for us. And I can see why Tony chose him to be pals with Witten.

As far as player profile, yeah, it doesn't get any better than that. And in hindsight, he surely was a first-round level talent.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
He Probably was. But time will tell how they compare.
No one was thinking Witten would be who he was either.
At the time he was just another 3rd round guy. I am not sure how fans reacted at the time. I started on this site about hat time, but didn’t get to read a lot but off and on. Stupid work monitored web usage.
Witten was not just another 3rd round guy, he dropped because of personality issues. I'm not describing that right, but there was worry about his maturity.

Most thought he was a 3rd round steal.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten was not just another 3rd round guy, he dropped because of personality issues. I'm not describing that right, but there was worry about his maturity.

Most thought he was a 3rd round steal.

Thanks.
Like I said I do not remember much what was said. I was very busy out of town with work, and didn't get to read much back then about the draft. I didn't even get to watch much of it then.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Thanks.
Like I said I do not remember much what was said. I was very busy out of town with work, and didn't get to read much back then about the draft. I didn't even get to watch much of it then.
I didn't bother to google it, but I do remember him growing up in a terrible environment and maybe he had some issues in high school (this old brain doesn't remember like it used to)

It makes it even more remarkable that he turned into the man he did. First class citizen and from most accounts a really good guy.

quickccc

Reaction score
Nice article from the official team website.
A nice consolation prize since the Ravens traded up one spot ahead of us and took Charlie Kolar.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...gjOIK5b9XouPIl8zzS5t_fwjELklXXOpcbfQIisuOXpGc

I had heard at one point that the Cowboys really liked Virginia TE Jelani Woods even ahead of Kolar, but Woods was so well regarded he went a round earlier to Indy Colts.

I'm interested to see Ferguson, ..not only hoping he is eventually an big upgrade in blocking than Schultz and Jarwin, but he has the capability to separate from man coverage
on a frequent basis, advancement over the incumbent zone spots and dump off guy.

From Ourlads Draft Guide Reports, they speak of Ferguson's receiving skills as one that makes difficult catches look circus and routine, and he explodes out of his
cuts in-out of routes.

His 40 time may vary from NFL combine (4.81) to Pro Day Work outs(4.71)
But some guys just play much faster on the playing field than their workout 40 times.

Hardline

Reaction score
I had heard at one point that the Cowboys really liked Virginia TE Jelani Woods even ahead of Kolar, but Woods was so well regarded he went a round earlier to Indy Colts.

I'm interested to see Ferguson, ..not only hoping he is eventually an big upgrade in blocking than Schultz and Jarwin, but he has the capability to separate from man coverage
on a frequent basis, advancement over the incumbent zone spots and dump off guy.

From Ourlads Draft Guide Reports, they speak of Ferguson's receiving skills as one that makes difficult catches look circus and routine, and he explodes out of his
cuts in-out of routes.

His 40 time may vary from NFL combine (4.81) to Pro Day Work outs(4.71)
But some guys just play much faster on the playing field than their workout 40 times.
I wanted Woods bad. Almost as much as Kyle Pitts.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wanted them to trade back into the 1st and draft Witten.

I was really irritated with Parcells when they didn't take Witten in the 2nd.

I still can't believe he fell to the 3rd. He was as close to a guaranteed quality starter as it gets. Only Zack Martin was more of a lock. NFL teams must have traveled to the future, saw him on ESPN and thought he was mentally challenged...
No love for Al Johnson lol?

Man, Parcells OL picks while here....

2nds on Johnson and Jacob Rogers and a 3rd on Stephen Peterman, then cut him for Cory Proctor.