OT. Almost guaranteed for Cowboys first round pick

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don’t know if Vegas has odds on this type of positional draft decision, but I would put money on it if they did.

- OT in first round extremely deep
- Cowboys have 100% success on offensive linemen picks in first round under Will McClay
- Tyron is gone, Steele had the worst year of all offensive linemen
- Cowboys have said they don’t want to move Tyler Smith to OT
- Every school Pro Day that McCarthy has shown up has a first round offensive tackle prospect
- Only proven youth right now on Oline is Tyler. Cowboys have young prospects on interior line they believe can succeed in Hoffman and Bass
- Running game issues blamed on offensive line. Dak was running for his life with protection issues most games at end of season.

The moons and planets are aligned. Unless there is some type of blitz on this position before the Cowboys pick, I don’t see how you can put money on anything else.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree. Every team in the league knows as well.

I know Draftkings has prop bets on the draft, but I can't find it. Maybe it's not close enough to the draft, or my navigation skills suck. In the 2023 draft they had TE most likely going to the Cowboys in the first. At +175.

1942willys

Reaction score
The two biggest needs arguably are OT and C
Though LB and DT are not exactly stocked either

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Let's see.......Jerry was taken to the cleaners by Dak a while back, hasn't extended him, and could make him play the year out to give TLance and a 1st round pick, if available, a chance, and take back leverage.
Or they just lost Hankins and Neville, so a 1st round DT if one is there might be the guy.
Or they really don't have a replacement for Vanderesh at MLB, so might draft one early, if that guy is there.
Or Mr Smith just left for the Jets, so it might be a pretty good idea to take an OT.
Or the starting center just left for a division rival........maybe that guy is just setting there.

I don't think there is a safe bet with the situation the way it is now. New DC, means new skillsets from differing personnel. Massive money tied up already in the OL with Martin, Steele, and the pay coming up for Tyler. Not sure how much more $$$ they want to spend there. The big LB acquisition of Parsons -- more or less has moved to DE. They got run over last year, and the two BIG guys in Hankins and Neville are on other teams now.

Why do we think OT is the biggest need? I mean it could be, but so could any of the other ones as well. If OT is deep, then maybe they wait till later, just a thought.

Flamma

Reaction score
Let's see.......Jerry was taken to the cleaners by Dak a while back, hasn't extended him, and could make him play the year out to give TLance and a 1st round pick, if available, a chance, and take back leverage.
Or they just lost Hankins and Neville, so a 1st round DT if one is there might be the guy.
Or they really don't have a replacement for Vanderesh at MLB, so might draft one early, if that guy is there.
Or Mr Smith just left for the Jets, so it might be a pretty good idea to take an OT.
Or the starting center just left for a division rival........maybe that guy is just setting there.

I don't think there is a safe bet with the situation the way it is now. New DC, means new skillsets from differing personnel. Massive money tied up already in the OL with Martin, Steele, and the pay coming up for Tyler. Not sure how much more $$$ they want to spend there. The big LB acquisition of Parsons -- more or less has moved to DE. They got run over last year, and the two BIG guys in Hankins and Neville are on other teams now.

Why do we think OT is the biggest need? I mean it could be, but so could any of the other ones as well. If OT is deep, then maybe they wait till later, just a thought.
By the time we pick, any DT left would be a reach at pick 24. Any LB in the draft would be a reach at 24.

I wouldn't go by biggest need for the first round pick, just a need. OL is a need and most likely also the BPA at 24. However, everything changes if they trade down.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

So true. Folks forget this team couldn’t really get stops against quality opponents. And the DL lost Armstrong and Hankins. Good players no longer here. Verse, Murphy, or Newton would be great additions for a depleted DL.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Not just need, see all my bulletin points. All the stars are aligned. I think at least 75% chance we go with an OT in first round.

1942willys

Reaction score
Not just need, see all my bulletin points. All the stars are aligned. I think at least 75% chance we go with an OT in first round.
That is probably the safest bet as deep as the supposed OT class is.
I honestly do not think it is as deep early as some claim but who knows
We could manage if we had to at LT and move Tyler out; take a risk on Bass replacing him. That does give them a little wiggle room there.
They just signed steele to big money which argues against a OT in that respect since they have Tyler here.
The REAL hole in the OL is center. Unarguably.
Now the old saw is do not draft for need but that is BS it happens all the time. The REAL CRIME is to REACH FOR NEED.
I can honestly see the boys trade back; frankly where we are drafting is second rd talent anyway; just a matter of how deep you are going.
If we could trade down and get a fourth and take Frazier I would be happier than a pig in fancy slop.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
By the time we pick, any DT left would be a reach at pick 24. Any LB in the draft would be a reach at 24.

I wouldn't go by biggest need for the first round pick, just a need. OL is a need and most likely also the BPA at 24. However, everything changes if they trade down.
This is exactly why I find it hard for the FO to screw up this pick. An O-lineman could clearly be BPA on our board and shockingly available, or an unexpected slider like Murphy or BTJ could be there if you really want to them. With our holes this is wide open and I can't imagine in what way the muttonheads could miss on this pick.

I think the same could be said for round 2. With our holes, they should be able to come away with a first year contributor.

Time for braintrust to atone for last year's *** draft.

Wilson

Reaction score
We need to hope we can finally replace Travis Frederick in this draft. If we can I'd be stoked.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is most likely that an OT, WR or DE could be available with the 24th pick. While OL is probably the biggest need, I would not be shocked if the FO selects a WR. Regardless, with the number of QBs likely selected in the first round, there should be a really good player available to the Cowboys at 24. Now, if they draft down to the bottom of the first, then all bets are off on who they may pick.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Agreed. And among those OTs, I'd say Mims and Guyton are the two who fit our draft range and prospect "type".