OT: Anyone get ESPN NFL2k5 yet?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'll move this over to the appropriate board shortly; just curious if anyone has gotten the game yet. If so, opinions?

Eddie

Reaction score
$20 is amazing for the game. I haven't played it yet, but my cousin tells me it's incredible.

I sold my PS2 and Xbox last year due to lack ot play time. But I may just pick up another PS2 system just so I can play this game.

I'm tired of the Madden games. Madden 2004 is the same as Madden 2004 which was the same as Madden 2003 which was the same as Madden 2002 which was the same as Madden 2001 .... EA is making million$$$ off the same game. Gotta hand it to them. But I'm not buying.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Dale said:
I'll move this over to the appropriate board shortly; just curious if anyone has gotten the game yet. If so, opinions?

I am picking it up over lunch (in a few minutes), I'll check back in with a report tonight. :) Our local EB is running a special today, if you turn in any two non-sports games you can get it for free.

AJM1613

Reaction score
I am a life long Madden player but I bought this game today. It is good, very different from Madden. The ratings are a little screwy but it is still a very good game.

The graphics are nice and it is more realistic than Madden. I don't think I have ever played 2k4 so all of this ESPN stuff is new to me.

The play calling is very different and so are the audibles. I don't like how lowly rated our cornerbacks are but Owens (100) and Dawkins (99) make up for it. Dawkins really seemed to be everywhere, getting sacks, pass deflections and interceptions very often. It is a lot more realistic than Madden in that aspect. :D

Smith (76), Lewis (79), Buckhalter (79), Mitchell (72), Andrews (76), Brown (70), Sheppard (76) and Walker (82) had lower rankings than I thought they should have but I guess they needed to balance out the power somewhat so we arn't dominate.

I need to play it more to get a good feel for it but because I am not a big video game fanatic, it will have to wait until later (I bought NCAA football Thursday and only played it once).

BTW:
R. Williams: 96
B. Dawkins: 99

Anyone know who these anouncers are? I never heard of them.

The depth charts suck too because if a player is listed at one position, you can't have him play another one (i.e. Andrews (T) sub for Hicks (G)). Cribs is ********, so don't bother with it.

Eddie

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
(I bought NCAA football Thursday and only played it once).

How was NCAA Football 2005? I really liked NCAA Football 2002, but 2003 and 2004 were virtually the same game.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
It should have been delivered by now. I get off of work at 4ish and in the mean time the anticipation is killing me.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I am a life long Madden player but I bought this game today. It is good, very different from Madden. The ratings are a little screwy but it is still a very good game.

The graphics are nice and it is more realistic than Madden. I don't think I have ever played 2k4 so all of this ESPN stuff is new to me.

The play calling is very different and so are the audibles. I don't like how lowly rated our cornerbacks are but Owens (100) and Dawkins (99) make up for it. Dawkins really seemed to be everywhere, getting sacks, pass deflections and interceptions very often. It is a lot more realistic than Madden in that aspect. :D

Smith (76), Lewis (79), Buckhalter (79), Mitchell (72), Andrews (76), Brown (70), Sheppard (76) and Walker (82) had lower rankings than I thought they should have but I guess they needed to balance out the power somewhat so we arn't dominate.

I need to play it more to get a good feel for it but because I am not a big video game fanatic, it will have to wait until later (I bought NCAA football Thursday and only played it once).

BTW:
R. Williams: 96
B. Dawkins: 99

Anyone know who these anouncers are? I never heard of them.

The depth charts suck too because if a player is listed at one position, you can't have him play another one (i.e. Andrews (T) sub for Hicks (G)). Cribs is ********, so don't bother with it.
They are fictitious and they are by far the best commentating in sports video games.

How about posting the cowboy player ratings.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

I have been playing since NFL2k five years ago. I was woo'd by better graphics than Madden and better game play. Those ratings are totally legit in this game. Only the elite players are above 90, very good players are in the 80's and 70's players are average.

79 is actually high for Buckhalter, a guy who couldn't even get a tender as a restricted free agent this off-season. Andrews is a rookie, 76 is fair for him if not high.

lkelly

Reaction score
Eddie said:
$20 is amazing for the game. I haven't played it yet, but my cousin tells me it's incredible.

I sold my PS2 and Xbox last year due to lack ot play time. But I may just pick up another PS2 system just so I can play this game.

I'm tired of the Madden games. Madden 2004 is the same as Madden 2004 which was the same as Madden 2003 which was the same as Madden 2002 which was the same as Madden 2001 .... EA is making million$$$ off the same game. Gotta hand it to them. But I'm not buying.

Just FYI, but you may want to consider an Xbox if you are getting this game. I don't have the game yet (I'll likely have it tonight - been too busy playing NCAA 2005), but I think it has been written to take advantage of the Xbox hardware. The graphics are a little better, the halftime show is actually replay highlights instead of pictures, and such. Not to mention the surround sound and high def support...

EA tends to write things for the PS2 and then port them to the Xbox. What a pity.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just bought the game over lunch so I haven't played it yet. I did play a demo while I was in the EB store. I chose the Boys of course. Unfortunately, Texas Stadium has astroturf instead that RealGrass stuff we have now. That's nitpicking though as we're all pretty used to all the years on astroturf. No biggie.

AJM1613

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
How about posting the cowboy player ratings.
They are brutal:
QB: Carter: 75; Testaverde: 75; Hutchinson: 69; Henson 62
HB: Jones: 75; Cason: 71
FB: Anderson: 81
WR: Johnson: 85; Glenn: 85; Bryant: 80
TE: Witten: 70; Campbell: 68;
C: Dinapoli: 73
G: Allen: 87; Gurode: 75
T: Adams: 89; Rogers: 71
DT: Glover: 92; Blade: 75
DE: Ellis 85; Wiley: 83
OLB: Coakley: 85
OLB: Singleton: 72
MLB: Nguyen: 82
CB: Newman: 78; Mitchell: 66; Hunter: 64
SS: Woodson: 88
FS: Williams: 96
K: Cundiff: 71
P: McBriar: 55

After reading yours I feel A LOT better about ours. Newman 78? Witten 70? Nguyen 82? Trotter is 87!

If you want a backup or a player from another team just ask and I will look it up.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
If you want a backup or a player from another team just ask and I will look it up.

That's why you need XBOX Live. As soon as the pre-season is over they will release an updated roster with updated stats. They also update it periodically throughout the season.

As a first look though it's not that bad. Three receivers in the 80's, good defensive numbers. I agree, our linebackers got ripped off.

AJM1613

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I have been playing since NFL2k five years ago. I was woo'd by better graphics than Madden and better game play. Those ratings are totally legit in this game. Only the elite players are above 90, very good players are in the 80's and 70's players are average.

79 is actually high for Buckhalter, a guy who couldn't even get a tender as a restricted free agent this off-season. Andrews is a rookie, 76 is fair for him if not high.
You are right, I was going by Madden, not what other players on this game were rated. The only one that bugs me a little bit is Koy Detmer, he is at 60! Blake is at 78 and Blake is 3rd string. I do think that Buckhalter should be 80 or higher but it is fairly close. If Pinkston is 77 than Mitchell should be at least 75, don't you think? he is better than Pinkston in real life. The thing that made me upsett about Andrews was that he was listed as a OT, not a G, which is where he is going to play this season. You can't have him play guard if he is listed as a tackle in the game. The OG taking his place is 73 rated Artis Hicks. It is a bigger drop of from Mayberry in this game, who is rated 81, but in real life there should be an improvement.

AJM1613

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
That's why you need XBOX Live. As soon as the pre-season is over they will release an updated roster with updated stats. They also update it periodically throughout the season.

As a first look though it's not that bad. Three receivers in the 80's, good defensive numbers. I agree, our linebackers got ripped off.
Your CBs got smacked with an ugly stick too. From the way AdamJT13 posts, Newman is the next coming of Deion Sanders and he is only rated 78 in this game. Trufant is rated 81 BTW.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
Nguyen...82? Huh?

Looks like Theismann rated these guys!
Wow that sux, I guess I got to do some serious coaching to compete. I am glad we have updated rosters via XBL. Thanks for the post.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I got it today.

If you are an ESPN first timer it will take some getting used to.

But overall alot of bang for your buck.

Eddie

Reaction score
lkelly said:
Just FYI, but you may want to consider an Xbox if you are getting this game. I don't have the game yet (I'll likely have it tonight - been too busy playing NCAA 2005), but I think it has been written to take advantage of the Xbox hardware. The graphics are a little better, the halftime show is actually replay highlights instead of pictures, and such. Not to mention the surround sound and high def support...

EA tends to write things for the PS2 and then port them to the Xbox. What a pity.

That sounds perfect to me!!! Exactly what I was hoping for. Xbox is it then!!! I'm tempted to go out and get one tonight. ha, ha. G/f's gonna kill me. :D

VirusX

Reaction score
Eddie said:

Lol Pop in the game and take a look at the differences. If you see none you dont know *** your talking about. If you mean its a football game then yes its the same SPORT every year but if you say the game is the same for the past 4 - 5 years you full of ****. I was impressed with the past 2 productions and found myself thinking what the hell are they going to add to 2005 to make it better. I was shown that. Defensive hot route. New animations which appear to look damn close to lifelike. Deeper franchise mode. Player conflicts. Just to name a few. Granted ESPN has more features but madden is still the king. All madden needs now is the week to week options ESPN has. Im buying both to compare but madden still looks like the leader as far as overall software. ESPN had to move down their price so madden didnt ruin their marketing. Chances are 4 out of 5 will buy madden over ESPN at the same price. ESPN made a smart move but dont expct the price to be $20 next year.