OT: Athletes and motorcycles

JPostSam

Reaction score
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Mike Bilhartz, Herndon, Va.:[/SIZE][/FONT] Roethlisberger could have walked away barely hurt with a helmet and leathers, but the big problem is too much money and too little brains in all these athletes. These guys can afford to easily drop $15k or more on a super powerful motorcycle (I know, Roethlisberger was given his) and then go out and think they know everything they need to handle them. Most bad bike accidents happen in the first six months of ownership. New bikers need to be cautioned to keep their riding low-key until they really learn how to ride. Finally, ultra-defensive riding is a must. Roethlisberger fell victim to the classic: A motorist makes a left turn in front of the biker because they aren't able to judge the speed of the oncoming bike properly. An experienced motorcyclist looks for this at every intersection. It's not the bike, it's the rider, but anyone too stupid to wear a helmet is too stupid to be allowed on a bike. Mickey: You know, there is this guy who works out in the morning where I do and rides a motorcycle. Even now, when it's like 80 degrees already first thing in the morning, this guy walks in wearing heavy pants, either a leather jacket or leather sleeves, along with a heavy coat, with gloves and his helmet. One day a guy kidding asked him, "What you cold?" And to this day I remember his response: "I dress for the accident, not the weather." Words to bike by I'd think.

this is really accurate, and should have been pointed out earlier in this story. i have ridden scooters and a few motorcycles, and i can say that part of the problem is that athletes buy sportbikes because they're "cool," without realizing that it takes a good deal of experience, skill and PRUDENCE to ride them safely. after all, some of these bikes can do 0-60 in 3 or 4 seconds -- roethlisberger's is advertised as the fastest road bike available -- and NO ONE just hops on something like that and knows how to keep it in check. to ride without a helmet on top of that is incredibly stupid.

...but one point that has not been made, and definitely should have been made so far, is that motorcycles are NOT the major problem for athletes. fast cars KILL athletes, or ruin their careers. the eagles lost a very talented d-lineman several years ago (i forgot his name) to a stupid car accident. erik williams came back from a car accident only half the player he was before the crash. didn't derrick thomas die in a car crash?

beyond roethlisberger and kellen winslow, jr., motorcycle accidents are few and far between for athletes.

but deaths and injuries in sports cars have been a MUCH bigger problem for athletes.