OT - Charlotte

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I know this is way off topic but I am considering relocating from washington DC to Charlotte NC and would like some information from cowboy fans who live or are very familliar with the area. I have posted on several NC message boards and have recieved zero responses. I was hopping that some would respond here before this thread is moved.

My main motivation for relocating is to improve the quality of life for my family and to provide my children with better educational opportunities. DC has some of the highest taxes in the nation and with the urban migration, my property taxes have increased by nearly 35% in the past 2 years. To make matters worst, for all of the taxes we pay DC has one of the worst public schools systems in the country. Finally, the political bureaucracy of DC is very demanding and has caused me to miss out on valuable time with my family. Thus, I am looking for a slower, more relaxed way of life. My main concern for leaving DC is that I truly enjoy the cultural amenities and the diversity offered by the city. My question to those who have relocated from other metropolitan cities along the East Coast is what are your experiences/ perceptions/ likes/ dislikes of the change from your change in environment.

I would also like to know if anyone could provide any additional information on the Mecklenburg school system, especially, your opinion of Providence High School and South Meck. High School, or any other high school that would be considered comparable. I would also be interested in knowing which would be preferable to send my children. I'm not only focused on test scores (I can get that info from various web sites) but also extra-curricular activities, socialization, college prepatory programs etc. In short, if you were to choose between these 2 schools or another school for a complete educational experience, which would you choose and why.

Finally, I am currently interested in homes in the Ballantyne CC, Providence CC and surrounding areas. Of these locations is their one you would recommend over the other. I started my search here based on my school research so if their are schools preferable to the ones that I mentioned above are there other locations you would recommend. I am specifically looking for an area that is family focused, safe and provides outdoor recreational activities i.e., bike/walking trails, tennis courts, swimming pools, community centers etc. am looking for a home not to exceed $800k. I appreciate whatever responses you may have regarding my questions. Thanks in advance for any responses.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
I do live in the area. Just stopped by the house to pickup a friend to go get his truck so I will comment more once I return. One thing that you can do in the meantime is to look on the web for Concord, NC. Its just 10-15 NE of Charlotte up I-85 and it was just voted as one of ten cities in America as being an All American City for this year. Truely a nice place to live and raise a family. :)

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
DallasInDC said:
I know this is way off topic but I am considering relocating from washington DC to Charlotte NC and would like some information from cowboy fans who live or are very familliar with the area. I have posted on several NC message boards and have recieved zero responses. I was hopping that some would respond here before this thread is moved.

My main motivation for relocating is to improve the quality of life for my family and to provide my children with better educational opportunities. DC has some of the highest taxes in the nation and with the urban migration, my property taxes have increased by nearly 35% in the past 2 years. To make matters worst, for all of the taxes we pay DC has one of the worst public schools systems in the country. Finally, the political bureaucracy of DC is very demanding and has caused me to miss out on valuable time with my family. Thus, I am looking for a slower, more relaxed way of life. My main concern for leaving DC is that I truly enjoy the cultural amenities and the diversity offered by the city. My question to those who have relocated from other metropolitan cities along the East Coast is what are your experiences/ perceptions/ likes/ dislikes of the change from your change in environment.

I would also like to know if anyone could provide any additional information on the Mecklenburg school system, especially, your opinion of Providence High School and South Meck. High School, or any other high school that would be considered comparable. I would also be interested in knowing which would be preferable to send my children. I'm not only focused on test scores (I can get that info from various web sites) but also extra-curricular activities, socialization, college prepatory programs etc. In short, if you were to choose between these 2 schools or another school for a complete educational experience, which would you choose and why.

Finally, I am currently interested in homes in the Ballantyne CC, Providence CC and surrounding areas. Of these locations is their one you would recommend over the other. I started my search here based on my school research so if their are schools preferable to the ones that I mentioned above are there other locations you would recommend. I am specifically looking for an area that is family focused, safe and provides outdoor recreational activities i.e., bike/walking trails, tennis courts, swimming pools, community centers etc. am looking for a home not to exceed $800k. I appreciate whatever responses you may have regarding my questions. Thanks in advance for any responses.
:eek: I am in the wrong line of work. What is your occupation?

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I'm in local government which pays more than most people think (especially when you are part of a reconstruction effort for a bankrupt government). The city I work for has gone from junk bond status to AA- investment grade in less than five years which is almost unheard of. However, that is not what has allowed me to purchase in that range as much as the fact that I purchased my home in the beginning of a real estate boom market about seven years ago and my home value has increased by over 500% in approximately seven years. current market value of homes in my neighborhood is approximately $1.5 million which is far more than what I am paying for my mortgage. This was the best investment I have ever made (kinda like MS/ebay stocks in their initial public offering. :D

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
DallasInDC said:
I'm in local government which pays more than most people think (especially when you are part of a reconstruction effort for a bankrupt government). The city I work for has gone from junk bond status to AA- investment grade in less than five years which is almost unheard of. However, that is not what has allowed me to purchase in that range as much as the fact that I purchased my home in the beginning of a real estate boom market about seven years ago and my home value has increased by over 500% in approximately seven years. current market value of homes in my neighborhood is approximately $1.5 million which is far more than what I am paying for my mortgage. This was the best investment I have ever made (kinda like MS/ebay stocks in their initial public offering. :D
Nice...............Good luck on your relocation plans.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
DallasInDC said:

Try Loudoun county! I hate the inside-the-beltway atmosphere, but you can live on a nice chunk of land out here for under your price range.

Isn't the real estate market in this area outrageous! My house has gone up almost $200K in 2 years.