OT Derek Hardman sets his sights on the nfl draft per draftdaddy

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Colonel lineman sets his sights on the NFL draft
Nick JohnsonIssue date: 2/11/10 Section: Sports
PrintEmailArticle ToolsPage 1 of 2 next > He recently got married.

He's also just a few credits shy of earning his MBA.

And not only that, but he's also about to learn whether he'll get a shot to make an NFL roster.

It could be said that Derek Hardman has a lot on his plate right now. Last week, the 23-year-old offensive lineman traveled to El Paso, Texas, where he played in a college all-star game that essentially served as a showcase for NFL scouts.

The game featured players from traditional powers such as Louisiana State, Tennessee, Penn State and this year's national champion, Alabama.

In addition to the exposure to NFL scouts, the trip to El Paso also gave Hardman the chance to play one last college football game.

"It was an honor just to play in the game," Hardman said. "I was proud to represent Eastern. It meant a lot to me to go out there with that E on my helmet one more time."

Hardman, a Spencer, W.Va. native, amassed an impressive football resume while starring for the Colonels over the past four years. He started every game on the offensive line. And he soon garnered several accolades for his work on the field. He was named a member of the first-team All-OVC team the past two seasons and was selected by the Associated Press as a FCS first-team All-American this season. He was also Eastern's team captain.

This past weekend Hardman played in the Texas vs. the Nation Challenge, which gives select players the opportunity to impress NFL scouts. Around 300 scouts attended the game on Saturday, also attending practices throughout the week.

Hardman started the game at left guard for the Nation team. He played right and left tackle while at Eastern, but when a teammate at the all-star game was injured in practice, Hardman switched positions.

"Switching positions was an opportunity for me to help our team and get more reps in practice," Hardman said. "It was also a good way to show the scouts that I can play inside."

The adjustment of changing positions isn't new to Hardman. He started at defensive end and tight end in high school before becoming an offensive lineman at Eastern. Hardman started at right tackle his first two seasons at Eastern and was then switched to left tackle for his junior and senior seasons with the Colonels.
Colonel lineman sets his sights on the NFL draft
Nick JohnsonIssue date: 2/11/10 Section: Sports
PrintEmailArticle Tools< prev Page 2 of 2 "Left tackle is where you want to put your best offensive lineman," Coach Dean Hood said. "He's protecting the quarterback's blindside. You want your most reliable guy there, and for us that was Derek."

After redshirting for the 2005 season, Hardman started every game of his career as a Colonel offensive lineman, playing in 46 consecutive games.

"Derek is the total package," Hood said. "There are kids that you can coach who are very talented football players, you can coach kids who are great academically, and there are kids who are strong leaders off the field. Derek is all of those. It's rare to have someone play at his level be as strong a leader on and off the field."

That type of player could draw the eye of NFL scouts and draft analysts.

According to CBS Sports' NFL Draftscout.com, Hardman is projected as a fifth or sixth round pick in the NFL's draft in April, however he isn't paying attention to those types of projections.

"You can't look at stuff like that," Hardman said. "Those things can change every week or every day. All I can do is keep working, wait and see what happens, and do the best with whatever opportunity happens."

Hardman has succeeded just as much off the field. He graduated from Eastern with his bachelor's degree in December 2008, graduating Cum Laude, and has continued his education in graduate school and is a few classes short of receiving his master's in business administration.

Hardman was also a recipient of the OVC's Scholar-Athlete Award as well as an inductee into Eastern's Chi Alpha Sigma National Athletic Honor Society.

"No matter what happens in the future with football," Hardman said, "I feel comfortable with the education and experience I received here at Eastern. I will finish up my master's soon; it just depends on what happens with football."

To top it off, Hardman got married in January.

On Saturday Hardman's wife, Brittany organized a gathering of friends and family at Gillum's Sports Lounge to watch the Texas vs. the Nation All-Star game.

For a person who has such an impressive resume, Hardman is grateful to the people who have helped him get to where he is.

"It's great to have that type of support back home. I am very appreciative of where I am and how they've helped me."

The Realist

Reaction score
Never took a real look at him, but I like smart players.

Close to getting his MBA at 23. That's impressive.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Smart guys are something you always want- though sometimes being smart and football smart are two different things. Gurode was an honor student at Colorado in a fairly difficult field. But he has never seemed really football smart.

BP used to say that he liked picking team captains since they were already used to being leaders and understood that pressure-not to mention that being elected captain shows your team respects you. Now that is not 100% because at some schools the coach chooses the captain and sometimes that is not who it should be.

The Realist

Reaction score
burmafrd;3276489 said:
Smart guys are something you always want- though sometimes being smart and football smart are two different things. Gurode was an honor student at Colorado in a fairly difficult field. But he has never seemed really football smart.

BP used to say that he liked picking team captains since they were already used to being leaders and understood that pressure-not to mention that being elected captain shows your team respects you. Now that is not 100% because at some schools the coach chooses the captain and sometimes that is not who it should be.

What did Gurode major in?

I'm usually impressed when I see top football players who major in difficult fields.....IE Engineering, CS.....something in Math, Science, Medical field....biz/law/finance....etc, etc.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The Realist;3276539 said:
What did Gurode major in?

I'm usually impressed when I see top football players who major in difficult fields.....IE Engineering, CS.....something in Math, Science, Medical field....biz/law/finance....etc, etc.

Ethnic studies. He was something called an Academic Starter at Colorado....whatever that was.

He's never struck me as particularly sharp. I think he needs help w/ line calls. He really came on once an old vet like Rivera lined up next to him. I think Kosier brings some of that as well.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
junk;3276551 said:
Ethnic studies. He was something called an Academic Starter at Colorado....whatever that was.

He's never struck me as particularly sharp. I think he needs help w/ line calls. He really came on once an old vet like Rivera lined up next to him. I think Kosier brings some of that as well.

:muttley:

The Realist

Reaction score
junk;3276551 said:

AKA a football major ala Sociology or Criminal Justice.

burmafrd

Reaction score
No Gurode actually is smart - just not in Football. I remember when he was drafted that Jerruh said he liked picking smart players. The way I look at it football smart is more important if you play in the NFL.

The Realist

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he isn't either type of smart.