OT: Homage to a Cowboy fan that gave his life for us...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
A true hero... thank you Michael... RIP, sir...

Of course any that serve in the military are deserving of kudos... regardless of team affiliation, but this was one of ours...

Link

Summer's the time to really enjoy our children
Published in the Asbury Park Press 07/13/05

Iam responding to the July 5 editorial cartoon of a mom, at home, with her children for the summer with the caption "How any days until they go back to school?"

I am the proud mom of five children and couldn't wait until school was out for the summer so I could have my children back and do what I wanted. No more homework, no more tests, no more bagged lunches to make. It was not only their vacation but mine also. My children never attended camp for the summer. I counted the days until I had them home. We planned our summer together.

We had our family vacations at the Jersey Shore, with aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. It's something we continue to do and all look forward to immensely every year. We would also go to a lake in New England and camp, hike, read, bike and enjoy life.

When not doing those things, we had daily trips to the beach, the local library, visiting family, friends, going to the state aquarium, state parks, historical places and monuments. We attended Mass and read the Bible daily.

I raised my children, I enjoyed my children and I learned from my children. I was also a working mom, a nurse, who arranged my hours around my family. I worked evening and night shifts so I could be with my children.

I lost my oldest child, Michael, two years ago. He was killed in action in Iraq, a young man fighting for our wonderful country, a country he was able to see because of family time and wonderful memorable vacations. I wouldn't trade that time with him and my other children for anything. The pictures of him at the beach, Yankee Stadium, Disney World, and at the stadium where his beloved Dallas Cowboys play are priceless.

I resent the message that the cartoon sends to people, especially young mothers with wonderful young children, children who need to be with their moms. Moms need to know that we live in a beautiful state, a beautiful country with tremendous areas to explore, exciting things to do and wonderful memories to make.

I know that for many moms it is such a hard thing to do, but our children are young for such a short time and need to have family values and family memories.

Joan Curtin​