OT: If you thought Irvin got Snubbed !!

irvin88

Reaction score
Dominique Wilkins was informed Thursday that he will not enter the Basketball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, the former Hawks superstar told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"I was shocked," said Wilkins, the ninth leading scorer in NBA history. "I think everybody will be when they hear that announcement."

The announcement of this year's inductees won't come until Monday, but Wilkins said he received word from a Hall of Fame official Thursday afternoon that he came up short in the voting.

"I got a call that I wasn't going in this year but that I'm eligible again next year," Wilkins said. "I'm disappointed about it, but I'm confident that I will be going in in the very near future. My career speaks for itself."

Wilkins' career seemingly brimmed with Hall of Fame-type credentials: 26,668 total points, 24.8 points per game, nine All-Star Game selections. The Hawks had considered him all but a shoo-in.

"The news is disappointing this year," Hawks part-owner Michael Gearon Jr., a longtime fan and friend of Wilkins', said Thursday night. "Dominique is a very special person, and he was a great basketball player.

"Hopefully the Hall will recognize Dominique's enormous accomplishments next year," Gearon said, "and hopefully he'll have an opportunity then to be in the Hall with the other great players."

The Hall of Fame, located in Springfield, Mass., and officially called the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, includes not only former NBA stars, but also stars of women's and international basketball. Owners, pro and college coaches and other "contributors" also are eligible.

Wilkins was named one of this year's 16 finalists for the Hall in February. Finalists are chosen by screening committees and must get 18 of 24 votes - 75 percent - from the "honors committee" for induction.

"I have no idea" why the voters bypassed him, Wilkins said, "but over the years I've learned to be very strong and deal with things as they come. . . I just have to sit back and wait.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
He WILL go in next year, but he SHOULD go in this year. This is a shocker....wow.

That being said....wrong forum.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
the "human highlight film" has a legit gripe. that guy was the most notable frequent flier between Dr. J and Jordan. just a freak.

i'm sorry to hear that.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Wilkins was a poor man's Jordan. Had some nice dunks, but definitely no where near the status of Mr. Air himself. Okay, enough with the NBA.