OT in 1st round???

neosapien23

Reaction score
Why are so many members of the opposed to taking a tackle in the first round? It is beggining to look like the best player available at 18 will be a tackle. I'm not saying the Cowboys should draft Winston Justice at 18 even if there is a better player available, but Winston is certainly worth the 18th pick. IF Lawson, Huff, Jackson, and Williams are gone at 18, Justice should be the pick. As far as is reputation is concerned, so what? Thinking about character is the same reason the Cowboy passed on Randy Moss, and we all know how that turned out.

MindReader

Benched
Reaction score
I've noticed that trend too. It's like everybody would rather take a guy like Jackson who hasn't done much in college to speak of and wouldn't even normally be 1st round talent, except this is such a horrible wr class.

Why take a questionable wr in round 1 just to fill a hole when we have a much more glaring hole in OT and could land a stud like winston justice, that would buy bledsoe a lot more time and open up nice holes for the running game.

take WR in round 2 or at the very latest round 3, our guy isn't going to be a starter from day 1 anyways. I'm thinking Moss could be had in round 2.

give me a Winston Justice/Marcus McNeil caliber OT and a nice WR prospect in Moss over Chad Jackson and Colledge.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Why are so many members of the opposed to taking a tackle in the first round? It is beggining to look like the best player available at 18 will be a tackle. I'm not saying the Cowboys should draft Winston Justice at 18 even if there is a better player available, but Winston is certainly worth the 18th pick. IF Lawson, Huff, Jackson, and Williams are gone at 18, Justice should be the pick. As far as is reputation is concerned, so what? Thinking about character is the same reason the Cowboy passed on Randy Moss, and we all know how that turned out.

Yeah, Moss has won exactly as many championships as Ellis has. Justic may not be the best player on the board at 18. He may not even be the best OT on the board at 18. Personally, I don't think there's all that much difference between the 3rd and 7th OT in this draft. JMO.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yeah, give us all of those offensive players, and let's continue to give up touchdowns late in games, and have teams run like wildfire on us, and let's continue to be inconsistant at getting to the QB.

The fact is, our offense was pretty good...Do you all remember the first part of the season? Our offense has never been the problem, we are not a Colts type offense, but we are very good at moving the ball down the field.

We don't need an all world TACKLE. We just need one with a heartbeat. The problem last year was, Parcells didn't address the RT position at all. It wasn't like he went out and brought in a vet to solidify the RT position, he put it all on Rogers Sholder. When Rogers flaked out, he was screwed.

You can't predict that your 2nd round draft choice will flake out on you and not even play for 2 years. So now it was too late to find a replacement for Rogers, since all of the FA were gone, and we skipped in the draft until late.

We will be fine on offense when we get a solid veteren this year, like we didn't do last year, and then we can bring along Rogers and Petitti slowly. But we need defensive help this year. If we add 3 more "good" parts to this defense, you won't even care what the offense is doing. BP will find a way to manufacture points. (Gotta have a kicker though)

neosapien23

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Yeah, Moss has won exactly as many championships as Ellis has. Justic may not be the best player on the board at 18. He may not even be the best OT on the board at 18. Personally, I don't think there's all that much difference between the 3rd and 7th OT in this draft. JMO.

If the Cowboys would have gotten Moss instead of Ellis, they would have won at leat one more superbowl. Troy Aikman, Moss, Irvin, and Smith would have had 2 years together.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Yup, gotta finish this defense now while we're within strikng distance of a championship. We're a couple pieces away from being completely dominant on D.

Offensive line will be adressed in FA with the addition of a proven player or two i.e. Fabini and of course the return of Flozell. This is not the time for rookie growing pains along the O-Line.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Yeah, give us all of those offensive players, and let's continue to give up touchdowns late in games, and have teams run like wildfire on us, and let's continue to be inconsistant at getting to the QB.

The fact is, our offense was pretty good...Do you all remember the first part of the season? Our offense has never been the problem, we are not a Colts type offense, but we are very good at moving the ball down the field.

We don't need an all world TACKLE. We just need one with a heartbeat. The problem last year was, Parcells didn't address the RT position at all. It wasn't like he went out and brought in a vet to solidify the RT position, he put it all on Rogers Sholder. When Rogers flaked out, he was screwed.

You can't predict that your 2nd round draft choice will flake out on you and not even play for 2 years. So now it was too late to find a replacement for Rogers, since all of the FA were gone, and we skipped in the draft until late.

We will be fine on offense when we get a solid veteren this year, like we didn't do last year, and then we can bring along Rogers and Petitti slowly. But we need defensive help this year. If we add 3 more "good" parts to this defense, you won't even care what the offense is doing. BP will find a way to manufacture points. (Gotta have a kicker though)

Our offense needs more help than our defense. The Cowboys defense gave up very few points but loss games to the Giants, Commanders, and Raiders becuase the offense couldn't but up more than on measly touchdown.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
If the Cowboys would have gotten Moss instead of Ellis, they would have won at leat one more superbowl. Troy Aikman, Moss, Irvin, and Smith would have had 2 years together.

Or, a young Randy Moss would have gotten lost in the White House and never found his way out. This is all what if stuff. Bottom line, it pays to do your home work on these players and IMO Justice does not rate well enough to be taken ahead of a player with simular skills and a good history.

neosapien23

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Or, a young Randy Moss would have gotten lost in the White House and never found his way out. This is all what if stuff. Bottom line, it pays to do your home work on these players and IMO Justice does not rate well enough to be taken ahead of a player with simular skills and a good history.

I agree, but what if Winston is the BPA because everyone else we need or want is gone? If Lawson, McNeil, Huff, Jackson, Carpenter, Williams, etc... are gone, Winston should be taken.

MindReader

Benched
Reaction score
whoever said our defense needs more help than our offense.. did we watch the same games? our offense got destroyed by good defenses. towards the end of the year, bledsoe was getting hit every other play and things were plain ugly. running game disappeared. our offense definitely did not strike any fear in opposing defenses.

our defense on the other hand kept us in games and played hard til the end, while our offense went 3 and out over and over and over.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I agree, but what if Winston is the BPA because everyone else we need or want is gone? If Lawson, McNeil, Huff, Jackson, Carpenter, Williams, etc... are gone, Winston should be taken.

I don't think Justice is better then Winston from Miami. If there both there, why would you take Justice over another OT that carries a simular grade. I guess I just don't believe that he will be the best player available at 18. Probably doesn't matter. I think we will trade the pick if given the opportunity.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't think Justice is better then Winston from Miami. If there both there, why would you take Justice over another OT that carries a simular grade. I guess I just don't believe that he will be the best player available at 18. Probably doesn't matter. I think we will trade the pick if given the opportunity.
I happen to think that Justice is better also, but I also think we will trade out of it.

Hiero

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
No idea why but I would love to see us address the RT spot finally.

Hiero

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
because Eric is coming off a bigtime career threatening injury and Winston is not.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Hey Hiero, I take it you want McNeil at 18. He is an absolute beast and is quite agile and not just for a man his size either. Those back issues scare me though and thats why I refer Justice.