OT James Marten

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I've heard that some are saying that Marten is a lumbering OT, but look at his numbers from the Combine

5.08 40...tied for 5th
1.72 10-yard dash...4th
2.9 20-yard dash...tied for 3rd
4.54 short-shuttle...5th
7.68 3-cone...9th

those are good numbers for such a tall player, Marten stands nearly 6'8"

and he only allowed 1 1/2 sacks as a Senior at LT, after spending his previous 3 years at OG, Marten is better-suited on the right-side because he's not a great athlete and has the RT disposition, but he's no slouch

I hope this makes some of y'all feel better about Marten

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Is there a point where an OL can be too tall?

I can just see DEs being lower, getting leverage, and pushing him back.

Also, does that have the potential to be in the QBs way being that tall?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Future 585;1484836 said:

OL have to be good at getting leverage, esp. when you're sliding in pass-protection, as if you stand too tall, you're not going to move as fast and still be able to lock arms w/ defenders

and there are passing lanes for QBs to throw

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Kiper today also said that he though Marten would replace Flozell after this season. I doubt it with Free and McQuistan there also, but at least he thinks he can handle the position.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1484865 said:
Kiper today also said that he though Marten would replace Flozell after this season. I doubt it with Free and McQuistan there also, but at least he thinks he can handle the position.

I think Free is a better candidate to start at LT because he's a better athlete, despite weighing 20lbs more, and has been playing OT for 4 years

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
If it weren't for the fact that Marten is almost 6'8", he would make a really good LG IMO.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Future 585;1484836 said:

They don't stand straight up while blocking or at lest you hope they don't.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
cowboysfan31;1484885 said:
If it weren't for the fact that Marten is almost 6'8", he would make a really good LG IMO.

Kevin Gogan was like 6'6 and he was an allpro guard for many yrs.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
1. Is Colombo too tall?

2. The fact that the Cowboys took Martin way before Free tells me that they think he's the better prospect to play T or that they preferred a guy who could play T or G with their first pick...he'll be a solid backup at both, very valuable. I think Free was a BPA selection for the future.

3. Flozel Adams will play his final season in Dallas this year...there's no way we're going to give him another big contract at this point. Either McQuistan or Martin or Free will replace Adams...the odds are in our favor that at least 1 of them will be up to the job. Then the other two will eventually compete at RT or at OG.

I love college OT's who switch to OG in the NFL...they are usually better than most of the OG's coming out of college except for the top 1-2 super blue chippers.

Eddie

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1484824 said:
I've heard that some are saying that Marten is a lumbering OT, but look at his numbers from the Combine

5.08 40...tied for 5th
1.72 10-yard dash...4th
2.9 20-yard dash...tied for 3rd
4.54 short-shuttle...5th
7.68 3-cone...9th

those are good numbers for such a tall player, Marten stands nearly 6'8"

and he only allowed 1 1/2 sacks as a Senior at LT, after spending his previous 3 years at OG, Marten is better-suited on the right-side because he's not a great athlete and has the RT disposition, but he's no slouch

I hope this makes some of y'all feel better about Marten

Never had a problem with Marten. In fact, I'm pretty happy we addressed the OT position ... twice.

Marten and Free will man the OT spots from 2008-2018.

Pretty sweet to me. :)

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ok first, with tall offensive linemen, the key their is run blocking, they cant get down to block the guy if they cant bend their knees too well

thats one of the issues about Marten, he bends from the back, not the knees, when you bend from the back, your setting yourself to be run over, and pushed out of the way, your not anchoring like you should to take the blow or push from the defender

now, ive watched clips from marten, he seems adequate, but reports are that he would be better suited on the right side, to eventually replace colombo

if you remember what jerry jones said a few days before the draft, they were looking at a rookie, that would save them money compared to a veteran on the team now that was going to cost them 20 million dollars in a couple of years, so it would be prudent for them to get that rookie in the long run

that to me adds up to colombo in 2 years

doug free will play LOT, he is more quicker, not quite as strong as Marten, Marten is more physical and meaner, so he would fit the ROT better, since he compares in size to Colombo, and what school did Colombo come from? Boston College, they produce offensive linemen that can play, best of my knowledge, their are 12 offensive linemen playing in the NFL now from Boston College.