OT- Kobe

aznhalf

Reaction score
I'm sure this thread will get moved.

But thats just ridiculous! Hope I can find the game somewhere, anybody Tivo it by any chance?

Reed

Reaction score
Don't forget, MJ at age 40 played against the zone and did quite well with 1 knee. (Most points for a 40 year old with 43, shot 45%). Oldest (38) to score 50 (51).

The zone isn't really used since it doesn't mesh with the style of the NBA. It's only used in small spurts and by hardly any teams. The 3-second rule ruins the zone anyway.
http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2002/columns/spears_marc/1451142.html

It's hand-checking that's the biggest difference today. You can't body or touch a player on the perimeter without getting touch fouls. Stern did this on purpose to increase superstar scoring to sell tickets.

LB on it (and he loves KB):
Larry Brown on Kobe Bryant scoring 45 or more points in four consecutive games: "It's amazing.... but a lot has to do with the rules. There is so much stuff being called out on the perimeter. I can't imagine what Michael (Jordan) would have gotten with the hand-check rules, with the way they're calling it now."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/381927p-324295c.html

To Pip on it last month:
ESPN.com: Who would you say the top three defenders are right now in the league?

Pippen: Are you talking about shot-blockers or are you talking about guys who can get out and defend the ball? To me, it's very difficult for any guy to defend with the way I've watched the game over the last 10 years, because of the rule changes and the fact that there's no more hand-checking. You really can't do much more than try to guide a guy, or try to turn him, make him go in another direction. The game is now more geared for the offensive player.

I personally do not believe kobe is one of the greatest players of all time. He lacks profesionalism and good character. All the great players of all time were good people and good leaders of their team. Kobe is not like them. He drove shaq out of town, elbows other players in the face, yells at lamar odom for taking the last shot of the game, and fights odom in the locker room after a loss. Thats not a team leader, this is a one man team. He isn't getting his teamates involved and as a result his team is 3 games above .500. I actually find it pathetic that he had to score 81 points and shoot almost 50 shots just to help his team win. It is sad that the lakers barely won and kobe felt it was him vs the entire raptors team. He has to realize there are 4 other players on the court. I bet you if Dirk took 50 shots a game he would get close to getting that amount of points eventually just like kobe. But, he doesn't becuase they play team basketball and he gets other players involved. Best players in the league today are: dirk, duncan, billups, nash ( all of them lead their team to wins).

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Reed said:
I personally do not believe kobe is one of the greatest players of all time. He lacks profesionalism and good character. All the great players of all time were good people and good leaders of their team. Kobe is not like them. He drove shaq out of town, elbows other players in the face, yells at lamar odom for taking the last shot of the game, and fights odom in the locker room after a loss. Thats not a team leader, this is a one man team. He isn't getting his teamates involved and as a result his team is 3 games above .500. I actually find it pathetic that he had to score 81 points and shoot almost 50 shots just to help his team win. It is sad that the lakers barely won and kobe felt it was him vs the entire raptors team. He has to realize there are 4 other players on the court. I bet you if Dirk took 50 shots a game he would get close to getting that amount of points eventually just like kobe. But, he doesn't becuase they play team basketball and he gets other players involved. Best players in the league today are: dirk, duncan, billups, nash ( all of them lead their team to wins).
MJ wasn't a "leader" till he had a team around him.

From phils book (not exact)
"Kobe didn't want to be the man, he wanted to be respected by his teammates and by shaq as his equal, Shaq didn't allow it"

He also said that he purposely seperated Kobe from his teammates his younger years and used him as a motivation tool to the rest of the team.

Kobe isn't perfect, but he is the leader of the lakers, and has been a good teammate with everyone except Shaq.

MJ was pretty mean to teammates screwing up as well...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Reed said:
I actually find it pathetic that he had to score 81 points and shoot almost 50 shots just to help his team win. It is sad that the lakers barely won and kobe felt it was him vs the entire raptors team.
The lakers were down by 14 at the half. Most accounts say he wasn't encouraging his teammates at all, the first time this season. He was just being quiet, thats when he exploded.

Dirk is a whiner who is trying to prop himself up as MVP, he is the only star not giving Kobe credit. He is a hater who is jealous. He is a big man who is too scared to bang with other big men. No way is Dirk better than Kobe.

Reed

Reaction score
Tio said:
MJ wasn't a "leader" till he had a team around him.

From phils book (not exact)
"Kobe didn't want to be the man, he wanted to be respected by his teammates and by shaq as his equal, Shaq didn't allow it"

He also said that he purposely seperated Kobe from his teammates his younger years and used him as a motivation tool to the rest of the team.

Kobe isn't perfect, but he is the leader of the lakers, and has been a good teammate with everyone except Shaq.

MJ was pretty mean to teammates screwing up as well...

Im sorry i didnt know that raping girls, throwing a tv camera, then in same night yelling at lamar odom, also yellong at lamar for taking last shot in another game (lamar used to be an all star by the way before he played for the lakers) was being a leader. Jordan used to get in his players face to get the best out of them, out of respect not disrespecting them, jordan used to tell his players like paxon and kerr that he was going to look for them for a big 3 and possibly a game winning shot, i dont see that from kobe, stop the comparions jordan scored 51 in the league when he was 38 with no hand-checking, imagine jordan in his prime with no hand checking and the poor competition of the nba today, if jordan ever took 50 shots in a game during 4 quarters you would seem some records shattered, he didnt have to, his team had 72-10 record, and many other great ones, he didnt need to shoot 50 times a game, he was a team player, kobe is a one man show, nice 81 points with 2 assists, great player, wow i loook up to him, physce, i would rather be a good man with a great heart playing for what i thought was right, and thats winning games, not putting up points to fulfill my ego, in 10 years from now once his career is over, you realize that he is nothign but a shadow compared to the greatest players of all time, he was the shadow of shaq, unless he gets the next dominant player like shaq, which is unlickkely

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Reed said:
Im sorry i didnt know that raping girls,Hmmm...he cheated on his wife, which is horrible, has nothing to do with Basketball throwing a tv camera, then in same night yelling at lamar odom, also yellong at lamar for taking last shot in another game an ill advised shot at that (lamar used to be an all star by the way before he played for the lakers yet he is shooting the highest % of his life, like every laker starter when he started to play with kobe.

. Jordan used to get in his players face to get the best out of them, out of respect not disrespecting them, jordan used to tell his players like paxon and kerr that he was going to look for them for a big 3 and possibly a game winning shot, i dont see that from kobe, stop the comparions jordan scored 51 in the league when he was 38 with no hand-checking, imagine jordan in his prime with no hand checking and the poor competition of the nba today, if jordan ever took 50 shots in a game during 4 quarters you would seem some records shattered, he didnt have to, his team had 72-10 record, and many other great ones, he didnt need to shoot 50 times a game, he was a team player, kobe is a one man show, nice 81 points with 2 assists, great player, wow i loook up to him, physce, i would rather be a good man with a great heart playing for what i thought was right, and thats winning games, not putting up points to fulfill my ego, in 10 years from now once his career is over, you realize that he is nothign but a shadow compared to the greatest players of all time, he was the shadow of shaq, unless he gets the next dominant player like shaq, which is unlickkely
Kobe is no where near Jordans level. He is still one of the greatest guards in the league.

As a laker fan I am getting sick of Odom. He can look like a great point forward one night, then absolutely lost the next. Im starting to think the man is just too dumb to get the triangle. Against the kings last week with the lakers trying to run the clock out, odom made his move with 14 seconds left on the shot clock, and drew a charge, the kings than made a 3 and won in OT.

The Laker starting plays consist of Smush Parker, a guy who was cut by 3 other teams, an absolute scrub, and with Kobe he doesn't have to worry about being a disibutor or scorer. He is just asked to play defense and make the shots that are there.

THe next guy is odom, he has already been discussed. He isn't a consistant offensive threat because he doesn't attack at the rim enough. He can be a great 3rd player on a Champion team. I don't think he can be the 2nd option though, if you want to win consistantly.

Kwame Brown...this guy has no presence whatsoever. Noone taught him the fundamentals of post play when his body was developing, and it shows. But, he plays good D and takes the other guys best bigman, becouse our Center gets in foul trouble with regularity.

Mihm has had the two best years of his career with the lakers. He averages about 11 points and has a sweet jumpshot. He is probably our third best player...The Lakers third best Player is Chris Mihm. Let that sink in.

Kobe has tried letting these guys grow, he tried it last year with Mihm and Odom, Odom hasn't improved at all, Mihm's improved play can be attributed to Kareem (this guy is a great post man coach) he is still as foul prone as he was when he got here.

If Kobe doesn't take the shots, who will?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
What's sad is that Kobe could score 100 and the Lakers would still probably be in danger of losing. Jordan was a more complete team player... period.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
What's sad is that Kobe could score 100 and the Lakers would still probably be in danger of losing. Jordan was a more complete team player... period.
Yes he was. I wish people would stop comparing him to Jordan. Jordan had his era, people won't apreciate Kobe until he retires...