OT: Prosecutors to drop Kobe Case...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Motion to Dismiss
Prosecution, Defense Agree to Drop Charge Against Kobe Bryant

By Bill Redeker and Ellen Davis

E A G L E, Colo., Sept. 1, 2004 — A motion to dismiss the sexual assault charge against Kobe Bryant will be filed by prosecutors this afternoon, according to sources familiar with the case.

The motion will say that both the alleged victim and Bryant agree to have the case dropped. Prosecutors will ask that it be dismissed with prejudice, meaning that the charges can never be brought again.

Opening statements in the case were expected to begin Tuesday, with prospective jurors being interviewed this week.

The Los Angeles Lakers star was accused of raping the young woman on June 30, 2003, at an Eagle resort where she worked and he was a guest. He had pleaded not guilty.

Bryant, 26, has admitted having sex with the woman, who was 19 at the time, but claims it was consensual.

If convicted of felony sexual assault, he could have faced four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.​

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Very interesting.

I thought it would at least go to trial, but I didnt think he would be convicted.

- Mike G.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
No surprise....once the judge allowed her history it was only a matter of time.

BHendri5

Reaction score
I read that the defense asked the Judge to dismiss the case. So you are saying that the drudge report says it has been officially dropped?

I have always maintained that someone put that young lady up to filing charges. I do not think she would have ever filed a charge, that she consented, it was just a tryst between to young people and that was it.

But she went and told someone and they came up with this scheme to get some money from Kobe.

Just my opinion, I do not think bad of Kobe or the young Lady, I saw it has Young people experiencing life, until some schemer found out and got doallar signs in their eyes.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trickblue said:
Motion to Dismiss
Prosecution, Defense Agree to Drop Charge Against Kobe Bryant

By Bill Redeker and Ellen Davis

E A G L E, Colo., Sept. 1, 2004 — A motion to dismiss the sexual assault charge against Kobe Bryant will be filed by prosecutors this afternoon, according to sources familiar with the case.

The motion will say that both the alleged victim and Bryant agree to have the case dropped. Prosecutors will ask that it be dismissed with prejudice, meaning that the charges can never be brought again.

Opening statements in the case were expected to begin Tuesday, with prospective jurors being interviewed this week.

The Los Angeles Lakers star was accused of raping the young woman on June 30, 2003, at an Eagle resort where she worked and he was a guest. He had pleaded not guilty.

Bryant, 26, has admitted having sex with the woman, who was 19 at the time, but claims it was consensual.

If convicted of felony sexual assault, he could have faced four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.​

Everything that I've read (CNN, ESPN, and MSN) have all said that the defense have filed this motion. There has been nothing said about the Prosecution agreeing to drop the charges.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
numnuts23 said:
Everything that I've read (CNN, ESPN, and MSN) have all said that the defense have filed this motion. There has been nothing said about the Prosecution agreeing to drop the charges.

I doubted it too... but the link on Drudge goes to a story on ABC news.

Looks like it probably is legit.

calico

Reaction score
not surprising. She was after the civil suit from the beginning.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The skeptic in me is wondering if the girl or kobe have finally settled on a money amount to keep this out of the courts.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The skeptic in me is wondering if the girl or kobe have finally settled on a money amount to keep this out of the courts.

I'd bet you've hit on it here.

This whole thing is disgusting... everyone loses.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White said:
I'd bet you've hit on it here.

This whole thing is disgusting... everyone loses.

Everyone loses....or everyone wins?

Kobe wins as he has NO chance of going to jail...if the trial goes on anything could happen.

The girl wins as she gets a butt load of money.

Or the loss you speak of...

Kobe remains looking guilty...

The girl feels that a guilty man is still on the street.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Really is too bad. Kobe's name has really taken a hit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

"Always with the negative waves, Moriariti, always with the negative waves."

~He says in his best Oddball voice~

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5861379/

<snip>

EAGLE, Colo. - Prosecutors have agreed to dismiss sexual assault charges against Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant with one big catch — they want the right to retry the case at a later date, NBC News has learned.

</snip>

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
"Always with the negative waves, Moriariti, always with the negative waves."

~He says in his best Oddball voice~

Ahh....I knew there was a reason I liked you....you know Kelly's Heroes lines and we share admiration of the Tyler Rose. :cool: :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Ahh....I knew there was a reason I liked you....you know Kelly's Heroes lines and we share admiration of the Tyler Rose. :cool: :D

LOL, well, it's something.

Pretty funny move I always thought.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
I've sat back and listened to the way people talked about what was happening in this case... there have been a lot of people that have laughed at her, cussed her, and riticuled her...and a lot of "poor Kobe's"... I've waited until the end of the case to say anthing cuz the full story wouldn't be known until the end... thats why we have trials.. to get both sides so as to find the truth... not just making assumptions..

Well guys, this morning they are saying that the girl asked for the charges to be dropped. Said she was tired of being drug through the mud. Plus it was said the girl found out a rumor that the rape councelor was going to write a book about the rape and the girl couldn't take it anymore...

And after mistakes that revealed her identity, at least two death threats and relentless media attention, she apparently had had enough.

And a side note... Kobe released an apology to the girl saying .....

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did," he said.

Bryant said the civil case against him "will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."

"I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman," Bryant said. "No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case."

looks like she may not be the bad person that some of y'all made her out to be... "according to Kobe"

In law the accused is innocent until proven guilty. In a criminal case involving athletes or movie stars - the accuser is guilty no matter what... sad

And in this case.... a big misunderstanding between two consenting adults

Either way.... she didn't see it as consentual and he did - and he was married - but hey, he's the star and she's a nobody so I guess that makes her trash and him an upstanding individual... IMO

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Princess, it doesn't seem like you're very farmiliar with how the court system operates. Kobe made a statement. That doesn't at all mean that it is what Kobe wanted to really say. I also noticed that you left out the part where she got 20million. Kobe made a deal with this girl to drop the charges and I am betting that her side of the negotiation called for a statement to be released and 20 million.

Think about it. Kobe doesn't come out and say I raped her, but he also doesn't slander this "poor young girl". He basically said, she thinks I raped her, but I don't. This lets the accuser "save face" for making alleged false accusations and Kobe isn't facing any chance of wearing bright orange and being gang raped himself.