OT-what you guys think of Whitehurst?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst? Senior, is having a pretty good year: 60+% completion, 11 TDs, 7 INTs, NFL bloodlines

thoughts?

disclaimer: I'm a huge Henson fan and want him to start sometime in the future, but I hear about Brady Quinn, Marcus McNeal and others, and thought I'd ask what you guys thought about this guy

gbrittain

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst? Senior, is having a pretty good year: 60+% completion, 11 TDs, 7 INTs, NFL bloodlines

thoughts?

disclaimer: I'm a huge Henson fan and want him to start sometime in the future, but I hear about Brady Quinn, Marcus McNeal and others, and thought I'd ask what you guys thought about this guy

Personally, of the QBs that are running somewhat under the radar, Drew Olson is my pick. If I am not mistaken, we previously had some success with another UCLA QB...what his name...? ;)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst is the most amazing human being on the face of the earth. In fact, Whitehurst once played Russian Roulete with a fully loaded gun and won.

He is also reportedly the only man to ever defeat a brick wall in a game of tennis.

When asked about his team play, Whitehurst responded, "There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Charlie Whitehurst. Screw you, team."

:rolleyes:

NicholasD

Reaction score
I like Cutler over Whitehurst. If he declares I would want Stanton over any other QB though, including Leinart.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I don't get it

Just poking fun, as everyone in the media bent over backwords to give this guy props in the offseaosn, and he has, well, not been very good....

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
he played high school fb around where i live. he was incredible in high school.

but i say O.Jacobs and B.Quinn have Dallas written all over them. B.Quinn especially since Bledsoe will be our QB again next year most likely. And we will draft B.Quinn after he finishes his senior year

T-Bone 625

Reaction score
Im a Clemson fan. Grew up in SC and currently live in NC. Whitehurst has never lived up to the hype. Has tools, but is a poor decision maker. He never seemed to progress in that area over the course of 4 years like he should have. Looks like a world beater one game and a bum the next. I see him as a mid round pick that will be a career back-up if he can't improve his decison making and game management skills.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
^^yeah, hasn't lived up to expectations, but Carson Palmer was the same way, but Whitehurst isn't having near the final season Carson did, so I agree with the mid-round pick assessment

but anyways, I think Henson is our future QB, just wanted to get a feel of Whitehurst from the board

T-Bone 625

Reaction score
SF - I'm a little harder on Whitehurst because I expected more being a Tiger fan. I just feel he should have done more. Perfect example - this year at GT he leads a comeback. On 4th down and 7 on the potential game winning drive he throws a 2-yard side line pass that was a bad throw incomplete. Forget the bad throw, why is a senior throwing a 2-yard pattern on 4th and 7 with the side line as an extra defender. This is what I'm talking about.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
T-Bone 625 said:
Im a Clemson fan. Grew up in SC and currently live in NC. Whitehurst has never lived up to the hype. Has tools, but is a poor decision maker. He never seemed to progress in that area over the course of 4 years like he should have. Looks like a world beater one game and a bum the next. I see him as a mid round pick that will be a career back-up if he can't improve his decison making and game management skills.

Can we say Brett Favre? He is the most experienced QB in the history of the nfl to make rookie mistakes STILL. He CONSTANTLY tries to make things happen instead of allowing them to. He looks horrible this season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

thoughts?

I'd be surprised if he is drafted on Day 1. I think there are at least 10 QBs better than he is, though 2 of the best won't declare.

ghst187

Reaction score
T-Bone 625 said:
Looks like a world beater one game and a bum the next. I see him as a mid round pick that will be a career back-up if he can't improve his decison making and game management skills.

I agree.
If we're going to call Henson a wash next year and draft a QB, then let's swing for the fence and go after Quinn. To me right now, he looks like the best QB to come out in a while and a perfect fit for our style of offense. Typical Dallas QB, except with a little more mobility.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Charlie Whitehurst and as crazy as it may sound, I think there's a decent chance he'll be a better QB in the NFL than Matt Leinart. He's got great arm, great accuracy, and superb mechanics.

Too bad Clemson's coaching staff is pretty bad (although their new O-Coordinator is pretty good) and they've had awful O-Line's and WR's in Charlie's tenure.

I really believe he'll be a 1st round pick if he stays healthy.

Rich.......

joseephuss

Reaction score
T-Bone 625 said:

He isn't getting great coaching at Clemson. Tommy Bowden isn't going to develop a NFL QB. Bobby wasn't good at developing NFL QBs at FSU and his son is following in his footsteps. Whitehurst is a guy that will need a few years to develop. I can see him being shipped to NFLE.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
what do I think about whitehurst...

well...

it should either be whitedeer or weisshirsch but not whitehurst..thats just brutal...;)

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I also have been following Whitehurst since the big game against FSU a couple years ago where he rushed for almost a 100 yards and passed for at least 250.

I think he's a prime target for vertical passing attack offenses. That Clemson offense isn't what I call vertical and it may hurt him come draft day. He may fall down to the Cowboys.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I'm a big fan of Charlie Whitehurst and as crazy as it may sound, I think there's a decent chance he'll be a better QB in the NFL than Matt Leinart. He's got great arm, great accuracy, and superb mechanics.

Too bad Clemson's coaching staff is pretty bad (although their new O-Coordinator is pretty good) and they've had awful O-Line's and WR's in Charlie's tenure.

I really believe he'll be a 1st round pick if he stays healthy.

Rich.......

I wont be tremendously surprised if Leinart never pans out into a bigtime QB, but I really dont think Whitehurst has much chance to be a good one either...other than one season Whitehurst has beena huge disappointment at Clemson...as others have mentioned he makes extremely poor decisions and really isnt very accurate

David