OTAs, and media gets in once-a-week? That stinks.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Three days of OTAs each week, with only one practice open to media each week? Dang. Is this right? OK if I was Jerry there would be no videos allowed, but writers could at least opine if guys looked good or looked kinda sorry. Or who got fat, or who lost weight. From all I gather, there will be one media op locker room op with players too (?)

If there are any secrets, they're going to be revealed at training camp practices anyway.

Hey the Giants aren't going to send spies to sneak into OTAs to see what we're doing ... are they? Possible cell phone videos: everybody check your phone at the door ..

Oldtimers like me will remember the Cowboys practice field near the Forest/Greenville intersection .. there were condos or a La Quinta or something a quarter mile away unobstructed and spies would set up shop there and film practices ... would Belicheat do the same thing at OTAs?

Other oldtimers will remember when in the early days of cable in the 80s, every Cowboys practice at training camp was run in real time, for a year or two or three, locally here in Dallas anyway .... I ask you, have times really gotten better?

Why do I end every thought with a question mark?

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
igtmfo;2778039 said:
Three days of OTAs each week, with only one practice open to media each week? Dang. Is this right? OK if I was Jerry there would be no videos allowed, but writers could at least opine if guys looked good or looked kinda sorry. Or who got fat, or who lost weight. From all I gather, there will be one media op locker room op with players too (?)

If there are any secrets, they're going to be revealed at training camp practices anyway.

Hey the Giants aren't going to send spies to sneak into OTAs to see what we're doing ... are they? Possible cell phone videos: everybody check your phone at the door ..

Oldtimers like me will remember the Cowboys practice field near the Forest/Greenville intersection .. there were condos or a La Quinta or something a quarter mile away unobstructed and spies would set up shop there and film practices ... would Belicheat do the same thing at OTAs?

Other oldtimers will remember when in the early days of cable in the 80s, every Cowboys practice at training camp was run in real time, for a year or two or three, locally here in Dallas anyway .... I ask you, have times really gotten better?

if no cameras are there our players cant say something stupid into them...

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
igtmfo;2778039 said:

Didn't the Cowboys thinking that George Allen and the Commanders used to rent a room there a spy on the cowboys?.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
igtmfo;2778039 said:

OTA are more important for the team than the fans, let them do their work without any big hoopa for a change.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, a lot of fans wanted Jerry to be less of a publicity hound. Careful what you wish for 'cause you just might get it.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
There are better things to gripe about. This team needs less time with the cameras.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMN Blog

What's worth watching at OTAs?
9:29 AM Mon, May 18, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

The Cowboys begin their organized team activities tomorrow, when the media gets its weekly day of media access. (Workouts are not open to the public.)

If Tony Romo talks to the media, that will dominate the news cycle. He still hasn't publicly addressed T.O.'s departure. DeMarcus Ware also could make headlines if he discusses the negotiations on the contract that will probably give him the most guaranteed money in NFL history.

As far as the action on the field goes, you can only tell so much from no-contact workouts. The passing game work tends to be the best action in these types of workouts, and there are plenty of storylines to follow there.

Three of the best position competitions feature guys we'll get to see in 7-on-7 drills: Patrick Crayton/Miles Austin at No. 2 WR, Mike Jenkins/Orlando Scandrick at CB and Gerald Sensabaugh/Michael Hamlin at SS. This will also be our first glimpse at the supposedly new and improved WR Roy Williams.

Comments (2) Leave comment | E-mail entry

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2778273 said:
DMN Blog

What's worth watching at OTAs?
9:29 AM Mon, May 18, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

The Cowboys begin their organized team activities tomorrow, when the media gets its weekly day of media access. (Workouts are not open to the public.)

If Tony Romo talks to the media, that will dominate the news cycle. He still hasn't publicly addressed T.O.'s departure. DeMarcus Ware also could make headlines if he discusses the negotiations on the contract that will probably give him the most guaranteed money in NFL history.

As far as the action on the field goes, you can only tell so much from no-contact workouts. The passing game work tends to be the best action in these types of workouts, and there are plenty of storylines to follow there.

Three of the best position competitions feature guys we'll get to see in 7-on-7 drills: Patrick Crayton/Miles Austin at No. 2 WR, Mike Jenkins/Orlando Scandrick at CB and Gerald Sensabaugh/Michael Hamlin at SS. This will also be our first glimpse at the supposedly new and improved WR Roy Williams.

Comments (2) Leave comment | E-mail entry

The media loves making this a soap opera!

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
igtmfo;2778039 said:

To be truthful I think all practices should be closed to the media. If they want to ask a player something, wait till after practice.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PullMyFinger;2778284 said:
To be truthful I think all practices should be closed to the media. If they want to ask a player something, wait till after practice.
They do that anyway. The few open practices for the media is just for observation purposes.

They don't do any interviews until after practice when the lockerroom is open.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am glad we are seeing less media access.

The reporters have made it clear they prefer sensationalism and generating stories to any deference to the team's goals so the team should fill it has to limit access and info as much as possible.

Reporters in Boston don't report nonsense about the Pats because they'll never get another quote. Say what you want about Belichek but he keeps more than his team in line.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
dadymat;2778131 said:
if no cameras are there our players cant say something stupid into them...
my thoughts exactly...i can live without 24/7 coverage if it will help keep this team focused

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2778288 said:
They do that anyway. The few open practices for the media is just for observation purposes.

They don't do any interviews until after practice when the lockerroom is open.

Thanks for clearing that up for me WG.:)

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I can't believe they still won't leave the TO thing alone. He's GONE.