Our 2-6 season just goes to show how remarkable

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
the Arizona Cardinal season was last year with a starting QB. Are they really that much better of a team than we are once the QB goes down? Or is it that there coaches changed things to fit the players that were there?

I know we have a ton of injuries and that we would struggle but Arizona is proof that not every team does. What the heck is our problem?

ksadler1

Reaction score
the Arizona Cardinal season was last year with a starting QB. Are they really that much better of a team than we are once the QB goes down? Or is it that there coaches changed things to fit the players that were there?

I know we have a ton of injuries and that we would struggle but Arizona is proof that not every team does. What the heck is our problem?

While I do agree to a certain extent, your team must be able to weather the storm and win a couple games without the starting QB. Beuerlein was able to win a few games when Aikman was out during our SB year. Those were huge considering the home field implications back then. Now "home field" is not much of an advantage for this team. But coaching has to overcome the injuries too. We can always say that players make plays and coaches coach, but this team is so mistake riddled you have to question both the coaching and the intelligence of the players. Neither is very good right now.....

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year we had a power running game that nobody could stop.

In the latter part of the season teams began to move people up toward the LOS and dare us to go deep, we have not solved that yet, although Cassel did have some sucess last week and I hope to see more this week.
The bottom line is we aren't scoring enough points to cover up the misques by the other 2 facets ofthe game, ST are a joke, and for some reason anytime we have a offense pinned back more than 3rd and 10 I blink and they're first and ten. Hopefully today we have all three phases coached up and ready to play, if we do, we win, if not, season is over.

ON a down note, Lovie knows Rod all the way down to his BM's so look for a bunch of wide open Bucs receivers and don't wonder why.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Difference between a guy who earned his way to head coach and a guy who was handed it because he could say yes I agree Jerry

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cardinals defense carried them with out their QB, though their backup QBs performed well. But they were not missing 2 main offensive components, and really 3, as we were trying to find the 3rd guy in a RB.
But their D held up, ours is not.
We have issues all over the place, and all this depth we are supposed to have. Well, either they aren't performing or it is not there.

OL got back in gear, but also shows how Romo is a big part of that and his elusiveness. McFadden coming around, which I think he should have been the starter all along.
Dez is showing why was missed, but we all knew that. As the running game and it opened up the passing game some, as Beasley was more involved last week, finally.

Defense is just not getting it done, no turnovers, pass rush not there like we thought it would be. Or maybe not as expectations were. Intensity is not there, not like last year. Still lacking players. Lacking playmakers.

ST's...well, they are sucking rotten frog legs.
Why can't they block on a punt return to get a chance at a run back for once.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
No it certainly cannot, but . . . . . . . . . it can help make up some of the difference. NOTHING in the NFL is more important than coaching.

Coaches are only as hood as the talent of their players. If a player is too ignorant, or have the talent to be at the right spot designated by the scheme, then nothing a coach does really matters. Marinelli was a genius last year because he got people to play to their potential. This year the board is filled with people speaking negatively about him.

What changed?

Perhaps injury and the quality of his team. Plus an offense that disguised how truly weak the defense was last year.

A good coach can coach 'em up. BUt there is a limit and it always comes down to skills, desire, and understanding of the coach's scheme.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Coaches are only as hood as the talent of their players. If a player is too ignorant, or have the talent to be at the right spot designated by the scheme, then nothing a coach does really matters. Marinelli was a genius last year because he got people to play to their potential. This year the board is filled with people speaking negatively about him.

What changed?

Perhaps injury and the quality of his team. Plus an offense that disguised how truly weak the defense was last year.

A good coach can coach 'em up. BUt there is a limit and it always comes down to skills, desire, and understanding of the coach's scheme.

With that said, a bad coach does the same thing and no matter how good the talent is the team doesn't win. How do you tell how good a coach someone is then? If the talent makes them look good but doesn't get over the hump then you blame players for not coming through when it matters most. If they totally stink, then you say it's the players. But at some point it has to be that the coach and their scheme just isn't good enough. I am concerned that that is what we are finding out with JG.

landroverking

Reaction score
D let us down for 1 game ... the Patriots.

We were tight for all other games. 2 pick 6's aren't going to help our cause.

Two OT games no stop.
Roll over 2nd half in the ALT game.
ST/D in the Giants game.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

What changed?

Injuries are a part of life as an NFL coach. It would appear that 4 1/2 yrs into the process we are seeing a coach that can do pretty well if his team doesnt have many injuries, but when injuries happen we get noting extra to help compensate for injuries. Its not unreasonable to think that somewhere in a season there is at least a hint of something a lil extra from coaching.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
With that said, a bad coach does the same thing and no matter how good the talent is the team doesn't win. How do you tell how good a coach someone is then? If the talent makes them look good but doesn't get over the hump then you blame players for not coming through when it matters most. If they totally stink, then you say it's the players. But at some point it has to be that the coach and their scheme just isn't good enough. I am concerned that that is what we are finding out with JG.

The point I have made over the years is none of us truly know how good Campo might have been had he had a healthy Aikman. Now i am not suggesting he would have won championships. But his 5-11s were as much on Aikman and his erosion of ability than Campo and his time clock idea.