Twitter: Our aspiring FG kicker went 4 out of 11 today

Jarntt

Reaction score
Such a high paying job like NFL kicker ought to have more competition, where are all the kickers?

maxresdefault.jpg

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You assess kickers the same way a golf swing coach does a pro golfer. Similar challenges. The mental game tends to affect your physical approach to a mechanical action.

I didn't know there was extra baggage to Jonathan's camp this year. That is too bad, and one hopes he can regain his mojo, and find his way back into the league.

I'm only guessing. I don't know anything about him for certain. But by reading his body language I sense he's dealing with some kind of internal struggle, or some kind of personal issue. I won't even begin to speculate what because mostly I'm probably just talking out of my rear.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think where a lot of the fans are is they are looking for some form of minimum bar of reliability.

We all can acknowledge that coming off an injury is tough for kickers, but it's not like Greg's career troubles with the XPAs and FGs under 45 are well known in Dallas.

His two worst years with XPAs occurred in Dallas. HIs two years in Dallas were his third and fourth worst FG % years in his 10 year career. His worst year was his rookie year when he was learning to be a pro and not just try to wind up and kill the ball. HIs second worst year he suffered a hip flexor strain and a groin injury.

Coming into Dallas he still has the professionalism inside of him. That won't go away, but he is struggling with consistency, and it's not getting better.

He still has his power as shown by 2021 being his best year with kickoff touchback percentage since the rule change.

But he is missing short FGs. So it is safe to say the mental part of his game needs sharpening. As a 10 year pro this is a bit of a problem, and the fan base has already suffered through a Vanderjagt/Bailey type decline so it is no wonder why there are questions.
doesnt mena that would have been repeated like Folk and Baily who improved after they healed ie GZ had back surgery before last season and missed most of TC and PS..so im making an assumption hes much improved this year and better option then anything being discussed here.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I'm only guessing. I don't know anything about him for certain. But by reading his body language I sense he's dealing with some kind of internal struggle, or some kind of personal issue. I won't even begin to speculate what because mostly I'm probably just talking out of my rear.

Recent comments from Broadus indicate that Jonathan was not responding to the challenges of a kicking competition well. It seems he was getting down on himself, and couldn't dig himself out.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
doesnt mena that would have been repeated like Folk and Baily who improved after they healed ie GZ had back surgery before last season and missed most of TC and PS..so im making an assumption hes much improved this year and better option then anything being discussed here.

Ultimately that is what camp is for. What remains to be seen is will GZ get over his issues with some of the shorter kicks that have been a consistent part of his game for most of his career? This is why he is a bit of a frustration. He can make some big legged kicks, but he makes you go crazy missing the shorter ones.