Our depth on defense...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Our d is turning out to be one of the deepest in the nfl...

Has anyone else noticed that?

Lets say we get Dwight Smith in addition...

We already had the best 3rd corner back in the NFL. I'm pretty sure Coleman would be the best 4th corner. And we could have him back up Smith if Watkins isn't ready.

And I'd go as far as to say that Reeves could be the best 5th corner in the nfl.

Then look at our back up linebackers...

Kevin Burnett, Al Singleton, Rocky Boiman, and then whoever makes the team amongst Shanle, Fowler, Parham, (and i won't even mention the other 3). Ive already forgotten Kalen Thornton.

Look at our defensive line. The only ? is at Defensive tackle, where we don't have a sure backup. Only mistake I think we've made going into the season. But you got Ellis, Coleman, Ratliff, and hatcher as backup DE.

Also imagine our special teams...

Keith Davis, Justin Beriault, Rocky Boiman, Kevin Burnett...

J-DOG

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:

We already had the best 3rd corner back in the NFL. I'm pretty sure Coleman would be the best 4th corner. And we could have him back up Smith if Watkins isn't ready.

And I'd go as far as to say that Reeves could be the best 5th corner in the nfl.

Kevin Burnett, Al Singleton, Rocky Boiman, and then whoever makes the team amongst Shanle, Fowler, Parham, (and i won't even mention the other 3). Ive already forgotten Kalen Thornton.

Look at our defensive line. The only ? is at Defensive tackle, where we don't have a sure backup. Only mistake I think we've made going into the season. But you got Ellis, Coleman, Ratliff, and hatcher as backup DE.

Our defense is pretty much set.
Backup NT is the only iffy spot.
How many teams can say that about one side of the ball?
On offense we also added depth but that depth has ?'s about it.
Columbo??-If he comes along and shows he can play that would be a huge help considering Flozell is coming off his injury.
Fabini?-Does he still have what it takes to play and start?
Crayton?-I'm a big Crayton fan but his play after the injury has me a little worried...I'll cut him some slack because of the injury but he needs to prove himself again.
I like our depth overall but I still feel worried about 4 positions on this team.
RG
LG
QB
NT
Rivera and Kosier are still question marks. Rivera(health) and Kosier because I have never seen this guy or noticed him. Gurode is a solid backup with experience but the overall quality at guard is still up in the air.
QB-I like Bledsoe but his backups are an unknown quality in the regular season.
NT-Ferguson starts, Montavias has the body-type to fill that role but Thomas Johnson has more experience but not the bulk.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Galian Beast said:

I would be surprised if we sign Smith for the FS position. I'm just not believing that we will do that-- several reasons prompt me for saying that.

Our NT position is a disaster waiting to happen-- if Ferguson misses any significant playing time we're screwed.

We're also in delicate shape on having guys that can effectively rush the passer. And if Ellis either "quits" or is traded for a pick I believe our pass rush is really going to suffer until someone steps up which may not happen until next year.

ghst187

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Our NT position is a disaster waiting to happen-- if Ferguson misses any significant playing time we're screwed.
We're also in delicate shape on having guys that can effectively rush the passer. And if Ellis either "quits" or is traded for a pick I believe our pass rush is really going to suffer until someone steps up which may not happen until next year.

I'm not terribly worried about the NT position. Really, if Fergi goes down I have decent confidence that Stanley will fare okay. Its not a difficult job, fire off the ball try to occupy two blockers...2nd down: repeat. 3rd down: come out and let Spears/Canty/Johnson/Ratliff take over the position. A MUCH improved and MUCH bigger and MUCH deeper LB corps is going to help against the run a lot and will probably help mask Fergi if he doesn't play that well again. The other thing is that I honestly don't expect the defense to be on the field too awful long at a time. I expect a ton of 3 and outs and our offense should be able to move the ball and run it.
As for the passrush, don't underestimate Bobby Carpenter's ability to get after the QB from the LB position (which is part of the reason we drafted him), and Burnett also. I think we're going to get a lot of sacks from our LBs this year and I expect Ware to get 12.

Defense...I'm not worried about.
I'm not too worried about Bledsoe losing it for us either.
I'm worried about the health of Terry Glenn and Pat Crayton. They both need to stay healthy all year. Of course the OL is a concern also. JJ needs to prove he can play a full season too.
Team chemistry......
Those are my biggest concerns.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I really think its funny that people are including the drunk as the fourth corner over Mr Reeves of all people.

I did not see a lot of Coleman last year but from everything ive heard form Texans fans he couldnt cover as a safety and now some people are putting at corner as if thats going to magically pull his head out of his backside.

Factor in how well Reeves played last season and then I truly become mystified. He played well.

Now I am fully aware that Parcells has said hes at corner but I think thats more of a means to find him reps than it is to say he is worth anything.

As far as I am concerned Coleman = terrible until I see otherwise.

sago1

Reaction score
Actually I question how much Stanley can help in the early part of the year. He doesn't know the 3-4 scheme and hasn't had the opportunity to bulk up so he will lack the staminia in his first year. Think Thomas "Pepper" Johnson is the more likely principal backup. In his 2nd year, he knows the 3-4, has bulked up & (think) he's same size as Ferguson. I don't think Parcells see us weak at DT cause he would have brought in a FA if he didn't believe Johnson could get the job done. I maybe not be happy about his OL choices/development but have no calms about his front defensive choices (except at FS). BTW: have read info that Jerry Jones said we not going to sign Smith and we staying with what we got. Injuries might force us make some changes, but we go with who we taking into camp. I do understand we still have to cut 3-4 players to reach max number of players we can take to camp.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Reeves is most definitely the 4th corner. I won't be surprised at all if coleman is cut.

jwhardin

Reaction score
Has anyone ever considered that Marcus Spears with his size could play some at nose tackle.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't see too much depth outside of our secondary.

We lost a top 20 defensive tackle in the league - I don't care how much he was knocked last season - even in that role, he was a force to be dealt with. Show me something Fergy, for 16 games, before I believe in you. Stanley and Johnson haven't shown us enough to call them 'depth.'

We have a lot of linebackers - but a lot of depth doesn't mean a lot off quality depth. We lost our leader on the inside. We added some peaces but we still have lots of unknowns. I'm hopeful that what we've done will come together, but I wouldn't say yet that we most definitely have quality depth.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I don't see too much depth outside of our secondary.

We lost a top 20 defensive tackle in the league - I don't care how much he was knocked last season - even in that role, he was a force to be dealt with. Show me something Fergy, for 16 games, before I believe in you. Stanley and Johnson haven't shown us enough to call them 'depth.'

We have a lot of linebackers - but a lot of depth doesn't mean a lot off quality depth. We lost our leader on the inside. We added some peaces but we still have lots of unknowns. I'm hopeful that what we've done will come together, but I wouldn't say yet that we most definitely have quality depth.

If this was pre90s I could see your point but teams cant afford to stockpile players like they used to in the eighties.

In terms of todays NFL, Ellis, Coleman, Hatcher, Ratliff, Stanley, Johnson, Burnett, Boiman, Fowler, Shanle, Glenn, Reeves, Coleman, Beriault, and Watkins are all pretty good players to be sitting onthe bench.

A lot of these guys would be starting on other NFL teams.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
If this was pre90s I could see your point but teams cant afford to stockpile players like they used to in the eighties.

In terms of todays NFL, Ellis, Coleman, Hatcher, Ratliff, Stanley, Johnson, Burnett, Boiman, Fowler, Shanle, Glenn, Reeves, Coleman, Beriault, and Watkins are all pretty good players to be sitting onthe bench.

Very well said.

Fergi has never been a injury waiting to happen like, say, Jacob Rogers. He has been relatively durable. I am more worried about not having a capable backup to spell him during games where the other team is trying to run the ball down our throats.

Other than NT our defense is set for the next 4-5 years IMO. This will be a group that can gel to a point wear no who our D coordinator is they will be a top unit too!

The offense will probably be going under the knife with a Jerry Jones style facelift within 3 years.

ghst187

Reaction score
jwhardin said:
Has anyone ever considered that Marcus Spears with his size could play some at nose tackle.

I think that's one of our contingency plans for the nickel package. Would be a waste though to put him there in the regular 3-4 package. Ratliff, Johnson, and Stanley are the primary options I would think. We don't have a probowler at NT with another two probowlers as back up NTs but I feel pretty solid about our NT situation. I think Stanley is going be able to contribute by mid-season. NT is not a position I worry about.
I'm still a little concerned about the FS position, we have 9 Safeties on the roster but about 4 of them are naturally SS's and the others are uninspiring at FS. If we sign Smith back there and Watkins comes around by mid or end of season...we should be very good back there.
If Stanley and Watkins pan out as solid starters by year 2, we're going to have a pretty phenomenal and extremely young defense...one that has the potential to be dominant for a long time. If Hatcher can turn into a 7-8 sack guy, Ellis won't matter much.
I see no excuse for us to not have a top 10, probably top 5, defense this year and definitely next year.

The offense on the other hand, as someone mentioned, is going to need some serious attention next two offseasons.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
Very well said.

Fergi has never been a injury waiting to happen like, say, Jacob Rogers. He has been relatively durable.

and we allowed less yards per carry w/ Ferg starting at NT

joshjwc9 said:
I am more worried about not having a capable backup to spell him during games where the other team is trying to run the ball down our throats.

very valid concern, but PItt only had an undrafted Chris Hoke as their backup to Casey Hampton, and when Casey was injured for an extended period a couple of years ago, Hoke showed that he was pretty good, and now gives Pitt the best backup NT in the game, so right now I"m putting in my faith in Parcells knowing what he's doing evaluating 3-4 personnel

fuzzylumpkins said:
Other than NT our defense is set for the next 4-5 years IMO. This will be a group that can gel to a point wear no who our D coordinator is they will be a top unit too!

:hammer:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ghst187 said:
The offense on the other hand, as someone mentioned, is going to need some serious attention next two offseasons.
I'm anxious to see how the O-line performs this year. Hopefully a couple guys step up so the rebuilding process will be a short term project. That darn QB position........nevermind I'll save that for another thread.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:

Are you serious? Of the guys I highlighted, who would be starting on teams that weren't named the rams or something with poor defense?

Johnson didn't dress most of last season, Kenyon Coleman has a good chance to get cut, Hatcher and Stanley are rookies that when drafted most of us were shocked - they are projects. Ratliff showed us glimpses, but at this point, were he starting anywhere it would be on a team with desperate needs.

Burnett wouldn't be starting anywhere because of his injury concerns, Ryan Fowler is hard nosed but no starter - ST guy, Shanle did start for us last year - and we all hope he doesn't this year. Boiman was an ST guy for the Titans and only ever started due to injury.

As for the secondary - Reeves MAYBE, but again, only on a team with nobody in front. Coleman lost his starting job, but is good depth. Beriault wouldn't be starting anywhere - his knee is bum and only Cowboys fans seem to have this obsession with him. We'll see about Watkins.

I contend there are still scrubs in that front 7 - we'll see about depth, but it is waaay to early to say it is phenomenal, and outside the realm of reality to say they'd be starters elsewhere.

Reaction score
Our offense isn't near to the one in the 90s, but our D is getting very close. As most teams in the NFL, if we can just have an offense that keeps the ball & scores when it has to, and a dominating D that intimidates other teams, we can win it all.
Come to think of it, if our line holds out, our offense will be pretty freaking dominating as well.
We have one of, if not THE best Special Teams in the NFL.........Man, let's go kick some ***!!

Is training camp here yet.................:pray2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Hatcher and Stanley are rookies that when drafted most of us were shocked - they are projects.

they are projects, but went where most had them going, esp. NFL teams, as seen by Goose's top 100

we have alot of potential in our backups, and some who have started games in the NFL, not alot of teams have both of those combinations going for them in their backups