Our depth on defense...

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
and we allowed less yards per carry w/ Ferg starting at NT

very valid concern, but PItt only had an undrafted Chris Hoke as their backup to Casey Hampton, and when Casey was injured for an extended period a couple of years ago, Hoke showed that he was pretty good, and now gives Pitt the best backup NT in the game, so right now I"m putting in my faith in Parcells knowing what he's doing evaluating 3-4 personnel

:hammer:
How dare you quote Fuzzy for something I said!

Just kidding, but Chris Hoke, a guy I likened Pepper to last TC, was a great find by the Steelers. hell, trade Greg Ellis for him!

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
Fergi has never been a injury waiting to happen like, say, Jacob Rogers. He has been relatively durable.

But then again a 90 year old women with osteoperosis is more durable than Jacob Rogers.

And I agree the D is deep and I am not to worried about NT Fergi will do fine and we have a couple of young guys behind him. And like someone pointed out Spears can probably slide over if we are really in a bad spot at NT.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
CowboysFan02 said:
But then again a 90 year old women with osteoperosis is more durable than Jacob Rogers.

And I agree the D is deep and I am not to worried about NT Fergi will do fine and we have a couple of young guys behind him. And like someone pointed out Spears can probably slide over if we are really in a bad spot at NT.

Nice old lady comparison to Rogers.

I have a feeling there was a reason Pepper wasnt cut when we drafted Stanley. Hopefully we have a reliable backup.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Not only do we have "natural depth" (quality backups behind the starters) we also have "hidden depth" in that we have about 10 starters that can play at least 1 position in the 3-4 adequately and 1 position in the 4-3 or nickel adequately. A guy like Ayodele can play 3-4 ILB, 3-4 LOLB and 4-3 LOLB. Any time you have versatility, you not only increase your chances of confusing offenses by giving them different looks, but you effectively increase your depth in case somebody gets injured because you have more people to replace that player with.

Rich...........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
Nice old lady comparison to Rogers.

I have a feeling there was a reason Pepper wasnt cut when we drafted Stanley. Hopefully we have a reliable backup.

I doubt Pepper would be cut. Last year we carried 3 Nose Guards (Fergy, Glover, and Pepper). Glover is gone, so Stanley takes his spot.

My guess is that they want to use Pepper like NE uses Ty Warren, a guy that can play 3-4 NG, 3-4 DE and DT in the 4 down linemen schemes.

Rich............