Our entire coaching staff, even Zimmer, are on 1-year contracts?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I was catching up on some Cowboys news on the Ticket podcasts. Been an easy offseason to stay busy and not pay attention to those lovable losers.

But I couldn’t believe what I heard on the Ticket. It’s not just McCarthy who is a lame duck, it is his entire staff!? Anyone whose contract ended was only renewed for one year. Even Mike Zimmer was only given a one year contract.

And if they do the same to Dak…. What is the point? Why don’t they just tear this sucker up right now?? What are we waiting for??

You’ve got the entire coaching staff just one angry star player complaint away from ‘Daddy Warbucks Jerry’ stepping in. Based on what I saw from CeeDee in the playoffs and just about every star player with a mama on Twitter, one stupid thing from Dak, and he’s going to lose the team. How does Zimmer, a known hard arse, even have credibility and a chance to do his thing and try to improve the defense?

This is either a genius move to not make McCarthy the soul lame duck or this is just one waste of a season. Sounds like we’re losing all the veterans who were patch jobs, and now have to deal with these new holes. Everyone from Hankins, to Gilmore, to Tyron. Maybe they are trying to start over In some type of weird soft reboot way? I’m not sure I understand anything the Jones boys are doing anymore. Because I agree with the other point from the Ticket which was that Stephen Jones provides no confidence when talking, and doesn’t sound like he has any type of game plan.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-ticket-top-10/the-invasion-contract-year-for-everybody-on-the-co

https://omny.fm/shows/the-ticket-top-10/the-hardline-already-tired-of-stephen-jones-the-se

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
I’m glad it’s one yr prove you can at least have playoff success . And if it’s a flame out goodbye folks .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Matt LaFleur McVey Shanahan Ryan’s Taylor heck Pierce in Vegas beat up on the Chiefs . Based on the DC search Jerry held I have little hope this owner will look at a new generation of coaches when and if 24 nosedives .

exciter

Reaction score
I was catching up on some Cowboys news on the Ticket podcasts. Been an easy offseason to stay busy and not pay attention to those lovable losers.

But I couldn’t believe what I heard on the Ticket. It’s not just McCarthy who is a lame duck, it is his entire staff!? Anyone whose contract ended was only renewed for one year. Even Mike Zimmer was only given a one year contract.

And if they do the same to Dak…. What is the point? Why don’t they just tear this sucker up right now?? What are we waiting for??

You’ve got the entire coaching staff just one angry star player complaint away from ‘Daddy Warbucks Jerry’ stepping in. Based on what I saw from CeeDee in the playoffs and just about every star player with a mama on Twitter, one stupid thing from Dak, and he’s going to lose the team. How does Zimmer, a known hard arse, even have credibility and a chance to do his thing and try to improve the defense?

This is either a genius move to not make McCarthy the soul lame duck or this is just one waste of a season. Sounds like we’re losing all the veterans who were patch jobs, and now have to deal with these new holes. Everyone from Hankins, to Gilmore, to Tyron. Maybe they are trying to start over? I’m not sure I understand anything the Jones boys are doing anymore. Because I agree with the other point from the Ticket which was that Stephen Jones provides no confidence when talking, and doesn’t sound like he has any type of game plan.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-ticket-top-10/the-invasion-contract-year-for-everybody-on-the-co

https://omny.fm/shows/the-ticket-top-10/the-hardline-already-tired-of-stephen-jones-the-se
Outside of Head coaches most positional coaches and coordinators sign initial 2 yr contracts anyway. So how is it really any different than any other team retaining their coaching staff from last season.
It’s more Whoopity doo dah the DC and WR coach only got one year contracts than something to wet the bed over!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

This is either a genius move to not make McCarthy the soul lame duck or this is just one waste of a season. Sounds like we’re losing all the veterans who were patch jobs, and now have to deal with these new holes. Everyone from Hankins, to Gilmore, to Tyron. Maybe they are trying to start over In some type of weird soft reboot way? I’m not sure I understand anything the Jones boys are doing anymore. Because I agree with the other point from the Ticket which was that Stephen Jones provides no confidence when talking, and doesn’t sound like he has any type of game plan.

If that doesn't light a fire under your butt, nothing will.
And, I don't buy that angry complaint from a player crap.
If these coaches new that, they wouldn't have come. They have confidence in themselves and see a good group of players to work with.

Last edited:

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This isn't a hate Dak comment but it really makes no sense to extend Dak beyond the coaching staff. If/when Dak gets extended McCarthy and his coaches should as well. They all should be held accountable for what happens next season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Why wait a year?
Exactly. Denial is not a river in Egypt. Sorry it didn’t work. Again. But what type of one year Renaissance are we hoping on?

I will say it’s not like it hasn’t happened before. Something similar happened to Garrett when he lucked out with Dak and Zeke as rookies. Won coach of the year and revitalized his contract situation. Mike McCarthy was already on the hot seat, and then a DC who made it click quickly with some savvy free agent hiring on the defense along with a great pick in #11 turned his fate around the first time.

But it will take that type of luck to push this team to the next level — some serious impact rookies and free agents.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If that doesn't light a fire under you butt, nothing will.
And, I don't buy that angry complaint from a player crap.
If these coaches new that, they wouldn't have come. They have confidence in themselves and see a good group of players to work with.
I do. All these modern coaches are scared of the players.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
You read right, it's like Jerry is telling us he is blowing it up without telling us he is blowing it up. Why waste a year, i don't know.
Wouldn't it be something if having Jimmy as an "advisor" might have something to do with it. Maybe setting up for him to take control of football operations and hiring all the coaches next season. If there is someone i would trust in a rebuild, it would be Jimmy. Not doofus and dingleberry.

ok, ok.....don't burst my bubble.. A guy can dream. :dance:

Courage is not having the strength to go on; it's going on when you don't have the strength. ....Theodore Roosevelt

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You read right, it's like Jerry is telling us he is blowing it up without telling us he is blowing it up. Why waste a year, i don't know.
Wouldn't it be something if having Jimmy as an "advisor" might have something to do with it. Maybe setting up for him to take control of football operations and hiring all the coaches next season. If there is someone i would trust in a rebuild, it would be Jimmy. Not doofus and dingleberry.

Courage is not having the strength to go on; it's going on when you don't have the strength. ....Theodore Roosevelt
I think that’s the only wildcard that Jerry has to win back the fans. LOL

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I do. All these modern coaches are scared of the players.
.. most players want to be coached and held accountable....same can be said about the NCAA with the NIL. I agree, there are some bad ones, most of those find themselves out of the league. There is still plenty of competition for very few spots

JBS

Reaction score
Well duh. Why would the rest of the staff be in a different situation.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

This was always the plan.
And it is why the deal wasn't struck immediately.
But it is smart of both coaches and the team.
McCarthy is on a 1 year deliver ort move on deal and coaches don't need to be stuck as Dallas would return someone like Zimmer and force him under a new HC if he had 2 GTD years remaining.

Mike Zimmer is 67. A 1-year deal is not a bad thing.
Long as that 1 year is at a pretty high salary.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Jerry is threading the needle.
This team had 12-win talent.
You don't want to blow that up unless you have to.

Staff and Dak get 1 season to either win big or move on.
It is a solid plan TBH.
All-in.

Carson

Reaction score
Jerry is threading the needle.
This team had 12-win talent.
You don't want to blow that up unless you have to.

Staff and Dak get 1 season to either win big or move on.
It is a solid plan TBH.
All-in.
I know it’s pre free agency and pre draft. But they need to build on the 12 wins. They seem to be content with losing multiple starters and are arrogant enough to think they can fill all of the holes via one draft

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I know it’s pre free agency and pre draft. But they need to build on the 12 wins. They seem to be content with losing multiple starters and are arrogant enough to think they can fill all of the holes via one draft
We haven't lost them yet but sure that could happen.
The Chiefs lost the best speed WR in football and just rolled on even with massive draft misses at the position.
You can't have everything and sometimes the starters you lose are easy-ish to replace.

I do not at all think that applies to Tyron, but he isn't lost just because they want to negotiate in the media.

I will say OT/WR are the deepest positions on this draft. A large handful of walk-in starters at both positions.
But HOF LT? Yea... not likely after pick 10.