Our Forum Veterans service

starman22

Reaction score
USMC 1983 - 1987

Hindsight being 20/20, I dearly wish I would have made a career of it.

Star

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
starman22;4238053 said:
USMC 1983 - 1987

Hindsight being 20/20, I dearly wish I would have made a career of it.

Star

Starman - you didn't happen to show up on the shores in Grenada in SEP '83 did ya?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Draegerman;4238061 said:
Starman - you didn't happen to show up on the shores in Grenada in SEP '83 did ya?

Lol, along with the illuminating cameramen...who no longer was granted unaccompanied entry.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
In the spirit of healing, I spent my entire day looking for veterans in public places just so I could go up and tell them how much I appreciated their sacrifice & service. It wasn't until I met another fellow disabled vet at a grocery store, whereupon we just looked at each other and hugged while the tears poured out. Shortly thereafter, we released and regained our composure. A simple nod was issued and we went on with the business at hand. I never even knew his name.

In retrospect, I pray that no one will have to go through something like this ever again.

'LEST WE FORGET'

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
CCBoy;4238069 said:
Lol, along with the illuminating cameramen...who no longer was granted unaccompanied entry.

As part of a unit that spearheaded that operation, you and I may have crossed paths a time or two. You may have remembered me. I was the scared private attached to a Ranger Regiment who was scared ****less after encountering sniper fired in Grand Anse during a tense three hour drama.

I had only been in my unit for about two months before I wound up in the bite. Thank God for 'Puff The Magic Dragon' to save our bacon.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
US Army, May 2007 (June '03 entered the Academy) to Present, one tour to Iraq.

My father -- US Army, May 1982 to May 2007, 25 years, tours to Kuwait, Iraq.

Grandfather -- US Army, unsure of the dates, but two tours of duty in Vietnam including a Purple Heart among other decorations.

Here's the former CPT Smith, US Army Retired, discussing his first tour as a Platoon Leader in Vietnam (he was a Company Commander in this video). When someone found this video online and sent it to my family it was surreal to watch.

[youtube]l2bChg3y8PA[/youtube]

CooterBrown

Reaction score
casmith07;4238205 said:
US Army, May 2007 (June '03 entered the Academy) to Present, one tour to Iraq.

My father -- US Army, May 1982 to May 2007, 25 years, tours to Kuwait, Iraq.

Grandfather -- US Army, unsure of the dates, but two tours of duty in Vietnam including a Purple Heart among other decorations.

Here's the former CPT Smith, US Army Retired, discussing his first tour as a Platoon Leader in Vietnam (he was a Company Commander in this video). When someone found this video online and sent it to my family it was surreal to watch.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Draegerman;4238170 said:
As part of a unit that spearheaded that operation, you and I may have crossed paths a time or two. You may have remembered me. I was the scared private attached to a Ranger Regiment who was scared ****less after encountering sniper fired in Grand Anse during a tense three hour drama.

I had only been in my unit for about two months before I wound up in the bite. Thank God for 'Puff The Magic Dragon' to save our bacon.

At work, we have a processing piece of equipment that we call the 'dragon.' I occasionally sing the song, 'Puff the Magic Dragon,' but no one really understands. But I do sing the Star Bangled Banner every night at work, and they do understand that...oh, and a demonstration for Soviet Block Officers at Fort Bliss, impressed them with armor and 'Puff.'

notherbob

Reaction score
I was in the army in peacetime from 1956 through 1961 including reserve time.
We wore brown boots and shoes and toted an M-1. We marched every damn where and ate C-rations in the field, wore OD and Ike jackets in the winter and khakis in the summer long before the black boots and green unis ever came out.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
jobberone;4237715 said:
If you like list your service branch. You may also put your dates of active service. Feel free to leave any message you wish.

USMC 1968-71
US Army 1978-84

Damit. I was only a cub scout. But we played war a lot as kids.