Our Season So far Reminds Me Of The Giants Last Year..

Reaction score
In some ways the Cowboys remind me of the last year SuperBowl champs the New York Giants.

Early on, last year, the Giants had struggles where quarterback Eli Manning was turning the ball over quite a bit. The Giants suffered several injuries especially on defense.

I remember that everybody wanted to fire Coughlin in New York. There were questions where Eli Manning can be a good quarterback in the NFL.

Let's look at the Cowboys. They are off to a rocky 4-2 start and injuries are starting to mount. The locker-room seems to be split(at least that is what the Media has you believing.) Some fans want Wade to be fired. The media is already blowing things out of proportion.

As the season wore on for the Giants, they started to come together as a team and did not pay any mind to the fans and media.

When December and Janurary came the Giants believed in themselves and were out to prove not only to themselves that they can win a championship but the whole world. It was US AGAINST THE WORLD mentality.

Well, we all know what happened! The Giants go off winning three playoff games in a row and eventually beating the undefeated Pats in route to a SuperBowl title.

The Giants did all of this without their best CB's and other defensive players. The Giants willed themselves into winning the SuperBowl Championship.

Now, the Cowboys are facing the same thing. They lost Romo, Felix Jones, McBriar, Hurd and Spencer is still banged up.

The bottom line here is that even though it has been rocky thus far and injuries are piling up the next guy in line needs to step-up. The veterans need to stand-up and keep this locker-room together.

With veterans like Greg Ellis, Owens, Brad Johnson, Ware, Witten, to name a few need, have the ability to keep this team afloat until the Cowboys get healthy again. The Cowboys have no choice but to bond.

If a SuperBowl Title is what this team wants then they need to steer this ship to less rocky waters for smoother sailing. The SuperBowl title isn't completely out of reach especially if they can get healthy and hot as the season goes on just like the Giants did last year.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I figured sooner or later someone would make this comparison. I can only hope that it rings true all the way to the end. :p

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2337924 said:
I figured sooner or later someone would make this comparison. I can only hope that it rings true all the way to the end. :p

Had to do it! It looks to be a very simialr situation. In the end, I hope it ends up that the Cowboys are holding up the SuperBowl title.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Its more than that.

We have made the playoffs two years in a row and havent won. Just like NY.

Everyone says romo cant win a big game, just like manning.

We were a wild card and lost on the road and a division winner and lost at home just like NY.

The secondary is suspect, just like the giants.

The difference is though, they did all of their clawing back with a power running game and terrific pass rush. it is yet to be seen if we can do that, especially if spencer misses time.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2337974 said:
Its more than that.

We have made the playoffs two years in a row and havent won. Just like NY.

Everyone says romo cant win a big game, just like manning.

We were a wild card and lost on the road and a division winner and lost at home just like NY.

The secondary is suspect, just like the giants.

The difference is though, they did all of their clawing back with a power running game and terrific pass rush. it is yet to be seen if we can do that, especially if spencer misses time.

Kiwi(their Spencer) missed the second half of the season, however.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Boysboy;2337982 said:
Kiwi(their Spencer) missed the second half of the season, however.

We are not as deep as they are though. there is no denying that.

juck

Reaction score
They didnt lose their starting QB for a month either.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Right they didn't lose Eli for a month and they have a lot more pass rush depth than we do.

Those would be two glaring places where this quite possibly won't work out in our favor but who knows, maybe people will really step up and prove themselves over the next month or so.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
It's nowhere near the giants of last year. The giants were 0-2 and and were 2 yards away from going to 0-3. If they don't make that goalline stand they probably implode. They were in a do or die situation at washington. The reason why things seem so dire around here is because of the expectations. Again, if we were 6-0 and blowing everyone out by 20 points the media would still be saying.....Let's see it in December and in janaury. We can't win either way.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing about the Giants last year reminds me of this year's Cowboys. They were playing awful, but I don't know that injuries were a big part of it. Eli had the shoulder thing, but he played through it. They never lost him for any significant time.

For the Cowboys, they've had to deal with injuries AND average play. Hard to overcome both consistently. And now with so many injuries to key players, who knows how this team is going to react.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2338017 said:
Nothing about the Giants last year reminds me of this year's Cowboys. They were playing awful, but I don't know that injuries were a big part of it. Eli had the shoulder thing, but he played through it. They never lost him for any significant time.

For the Cowboys, they've had to deal with injuries AND average play. Hard to overcome both consistently. And now with so many injuries to key players, who knows how this team is going to react.

Cowboys recent history here hasn't exactly earned them the benefit of the doubt either, so I agree, who knows what's going to happen. They could just as easily rise up and overcome all these issues or flip flop the rest of the season.

Boysboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2338017 said:

But his play was pretty erratic partly b/c he couldn't get a decent zip on some of his passes. It actually almost costed them a couple of games in the 1st half of the season. Remember in wk1 before he got hurt, he looked SHARP.

But other than that, I agree-our team has just looked LOST. The Giants, OTOH, were scrapping initially b/c they were adjusting to Spagnuola's new scheme.

Reaction score
Boysboy;2338025 said:
But his play was pretty erratic partly b/c he couldn't get a decent zip on some of his passes. It actually almost costed them a couple of games in the 1st half of the season. Remember in wk1 before he got hurt, he looked SHARP.

But other than that, I agree-our team has just looked LOST. The Giants, OTOH, were scrapping initially b/c they were adjusting to Spagnuola's new scheme.

:bow: That is exactly what this coaching staff needs to do.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
as others have said there are no similarities except for wishful thinking. coughlin was unliked by some cry-baby players, noone said he wasn't an excellent coach. fans believe in him, just not manning & co. they felt they were a mediocre team playing at their level.

OTOH most cowboy observers realize Cupcake is pathetic and believe the 12-prowbowl cowboys are underachieving for the better part of an entire season going back to late Nov.

plus what happened to any prior team has no bearing on what happens in 2008.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2337921 said:
In some ways the Cowboys remind me of the last year SuperBowl champs the New York Giants.

Really i had the same thoughts. But then again i have to admit this is more like wishfull thinking because i hope that our season will also end like the giants'.

right now i just hope we will find our own identity and go on with it not looking at others teams or hoping things will pan out for us.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
of course it is wishful thinking.

but the reality is there are some similiarities that hit close to home.

To me just the playoffs and the qb being told he cant win big games is the main one.

They won the wild card and lost, won the division and lost at home.....they had all the experience except for the win...once they got it they started rolling.

I think if we can just get to the playoffs and win that might be enough to get us rolling.

we are a long ways from being a playoff team right now though.

Reaction score
TwentyOne;2338173 said:
Really i had the same thoughts. But then again i have to admit this is more like wishfull thinking because i hope that our season will also end like the giants'.

right now i just hope we will find our own identity and go on with it not looking at others teams or hoping things will pan out for us.

It's not how you start but how you finish!

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2338180 said:
of course it is wishful thinking.

but the reality is there are some similiarities that hit close to home.

To me just the playoffs and the qb being told he cant win big games is the main one.

They won the wild card and lost, won the division and lost at home.....they had all the experience except for the win...once they got it they started rolling.

I think if we can just get to the playoffs and win that might be enough to get us rolling.

we are a long ways from being a playoff team right now though.

One little wrinkle-the Giants lost their home playoff game in the WILD CARD round. Sure, Eli didn't play well, but they had a depleted LB corps, to the point where they had to sign guys off the street(surprised they didn't call my number). It wasn't surprising they lost.

When they lost to the Eagles in the WC game the year after, Eli DID play well, actually. He lead them on a TD drive to start the game, and then they tied it up with 5 minutes to go w/ another TD...only for the Eagles to run out the clock and kick the game winning FG.

OTOH-with our home playoff game, we were the FIRST NFC #1 seeded team in 20 years to lose. If anything, THAT stung...as we became the laughing stock among all the other 31 teams' MBs. And Romo didn't play particular well in this and the Seattle game.