Our Season So far Reminds Me Of The Giants Last Year..

Boysboy

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2338184 said:
It's not how you start but how you finish!

I went to a Catholic HS, and they had a policy where if you get an F in the 4th quarter of the school year, it's actually an F for the course(unlike all the public schools I went to).

I asked my teacher "Why?"-he responded how you learn the harder and the bigger bulk of the material at the end, and if you fail, then you pretty much lack the knowledge for 2/3 of the course work.

It makes sense...let's say you get an A in the 1st qtr, a B in the 2nd, a C in the 3rd, and an F in the 4th...really-you really didn't learn a whole lot from this course throughout the school year, as the easiest parts were taught in the first quarter and a half. To boot, you regressed alot.

*shrugs* Same goes for any sports season.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Boysboy;2338211 said:
I went to a Catholic HS, and they had a policy where if you get an F in the 4th quarter of the school year, it's actually an F for the course(unlike all the public schools I went to).

I asked my teacher "Why?"-he responded how you learn the harder and the bigger bulk of the material at the end, and if you fail, then you pretty much lack the knowledge for 2/3 of the course work.

It makes sense...let's say you get an A in the 1st qtr, a B in the 2nd, a C in the 3rd, and an F in the 4th...really-you really didn't learn a whole lot from this course throughout the school year, as the easiest parts were taught in the first quarter and a half. To boot, you regressed alot.

*shrugs* Same goes for any sports season.

My public high school was like that!!!!!!

In 10th grade I passed my Course 2 math class with a B.

But I got a 63 on the regents exam!!! I had to go to summer school and sit through the whole class and then retake the exam.

The only reason I did bad was because in the spring all I cared about was baseball. I was lucky to pass anything in the spring. I think with the effort I put in, in the classroom I was lucky to pass study hall!!!

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2338216 said:
My public high school was like that!!!!!!

In 10th grade I passed my Course 2 math class with a B.

But I got a 63 on the regents exam!!! I had to go to summer school and sit through the whole class and then retake the exam.

The only reason I did bad was because in the spring all I cared about was baseball. I was lucky to pass anything in the spring. I think with the effort I put in, in the classroom I was lucky to pass study hall!!!

HA! Just goes to show you that even in LIFE everyone wants you to have this "It's how you finish" mentality.

Too bad none of the Cowboys players have this in their heads. *sigh* would have thought they would have learned this 100 X's by now.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2337921 said:
In some ways the Cowboys remind me of the last year SuperBowl champs the New York Giants.

Early on, last year, the Giants had struggles where quarterback Eli Manning was turning the ball over quite a bit. The Giants suffered several injuries especially on defense.

I remember that everybody wanted to fire Coughlin in New York. There were questions where Eli Manning can be a good quarterback in the NFL.

Let's look at the Cowboys. They are off to a rocky 4-2 start and injuries are starting to mount. The locker-room seems to be split(at least that is what the Media has you believing.) Some fans want Wade to be fired. The media is already blowing things out of proportion.

As the season wore on for the Giants, they started to come together as a team and did not pay any mind to the fans and media.

When December and Janurary came the Giants believed in themselves and were out to prove not only to themselves that they can win a championship but the whole world. It was US AGAINST THE WORLD mentality.

Well, we all know what happened! The Giants go off winning three playoff games in a row and eventually beating the undefeated Pats in route to a SuperBowl title.

The Giants did all of this without their best CB's and other defensive players. The Giants willed themselves into winning the SuperBowl Championship.

Now, the Cowboys are facing the same thing. They lost Romo, Felix Jones, McBriar, Hurd and Spencer is still banged up.

The bottom line here is that even though it has been rocky thus far and injuries are piling up the next guy in line needs to step-up. The veterans need to stand-up and keep this locker-room together.

With veterans like Greg Ellis, Owens, Brad Johnson, Ware, Witten, to name a few need, have the ability to keep this team afloat until the Cowboys get healthy again. The Cowboys have no choice but to bond.

If a SuperBowl Title is what this team wants then they need to steer this ship to less rocky waters for smoother sailing. The SuperBowl title isn't completely out of reach especially if they can get healthy and hot as the season goes on just like the Giants did last year.
Wrong comparison if anything it reminds me and could possibly end up like the 05 Steelers. That team started out 3-1 and then Roethlisberger got hurt. He missed the next game against Jacksonville then came back for two games and then missed the next 3 games. They went 2-2 in the games he missed staring Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch at QB. He came back and then they lost the next two games and they were at 7-5 staring at the outside of the playoff picture. Then they won the last 4 to end the regular season at 11-5 tied for first but lost the tiebreaker to Cincy, finished 6th in the AFC , had to go on the road for all of their playoff games won all of them and ended up Super Bowl champions.

I am not saying that will happen with the Cowboys but that is the best comparison that I can come up with in recent years to this year's Cowboys and how they can go about keeping their heads above water until their QB gets healthy. The difference so far with us and the Steelers is that they definitely won on defense even with Roethlisberger was playing. We have the potential to have that kind of defense. They also had Cowher as their head coach and we don't. They also had Bettis as an emotional leader and you could probably throw Hines Ward in their too. NOw I will say we have better overall talent than that Steeler team but they showed leadership and character in times of adversity during that season. Hopefully we can do the same

Boysboy

Reaction score
bootsy;2338259 said:
Wrong comparison if anything it reminds me and could possibly end up like the 05 Steelers. That team started out 3-1 and then Roethlisberger got hurt. He missed the next game against Jacksonville then came back for two games and then missed the next 3 games. They went 2-2 in the games he missed staring Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch at QB. He came back and then they lost the next two games and they were at 7-5 staring at the outside of the playoff picture. Then they won the last 4 to end the regular season at 11-5 tied for first but lost the tiebreaker to Cincy, finished 6th in the AFC , had to go on the road for all of their playoff games won all of them and ended up Super Bowl champions.

I am not saying that will happen with the Cowboys but that is the best comparison that I can come up with in recent years to this year's Cowboys and how they can go about keeping their heads above water until their QB gets healthy. The difference so far with us and the Steelers is that they definitely won on defense even with Roethlisberger was playing. We have the potential to have that kind of defense. They also had Cowher as their head coach and we don't. They also had Bettis as an emotional leader and you could probably throw Hines Ward in their too. NOw I will say we have better overall talent than that Steeler team but they showed leadership and character in times of adversity during that season. Hopefully we can do the same

They also had a creampuff schedule to end the season. AND...if Larry Johnson had made a half-*** blitz pickup attempt on Scott Fujita, KC would have steamrolled us in that wk14 meeting and it would have been the CHIEFS who would have nabbed that last WC spot.

They also benefited from Carson Palmer going down in the WC game-otherwise, the Bengals were well on their way to a double digit win.

Us, OTOH, we finish the seasn @Pitt, Giants, Balt, and @Philly. So yeah-I wouldn't hold your breath at least just yet.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2338303 said:
They also had a creampuff schedule to end the season. AND...if Larry Johnson had made a half-*** blitz pickup attempt on Scott Fujita, KC would have steamrolled us in that wk14 meeting and it would have been the CHIEFS who would have nabbed that last WC spot.

They also benefited from Carson Palmer going down in the WC game-otherwise, the Bengals were well on their way to a double digit win.

Us, OTOH, we finish the seasn @Pitt, Giants, Balt, and @Philly. So yeah-I wouldn't hold your breath at least just yet.
To your first point, if and buts and candy and nuts. If Crayton makes that catch against the Giants we would be playing in the NFC title game last year. The Steelers did what they had to do with a weak schedule and the Chiefs didn't. The Chiefs lost that next week to the Giants also. They didn't take care of business period.

Now on to your second point about Palmer. The Steelers would have won that WC game anyway. The Bengals were not ready for primetime in that game. The Bengals also had a lead in that game at 17-7. The Bengals didn't get it done period.

My first two points pretty much eliminate your last point about our schedule. If we take care of our business regardless of who we are playing it won't matter who we play. Also we don't know what kind of status those teams we are playing in Dec. will be at.

Everson24

Reaction score
Our situation reminds me more of 2005 Steelers as well. When Maddox came in he was terrible (much like I expect Brad Johnson to be) so the Steelers had to learn to rely even more on the running game and defense to win games. This helped them become a better team in December and January.

The Steelers also got a ton of good breaks late in the year as well. We also need to remember for every one team that overcomes this situation there are a hundred who tank the season.

Senny

Reaction score
Its almost a joke to try and spin this positively. The Giants were dysfunctional but not this bad. And the biggest difference is that they had a coach to hold it together. Dallas is stuck with Roy Rogers...

newlander

Reaction score
I'd love it if it were true but: eli wasn't out for a month last season, our dline isn't as good as their dline, our oline......oh, never mind....wishful thinking.