Our Super-Size D

slotshot

Reaction score
Hey all,

A thought occurred to me this morning. If we make the assumption that our starting defensive players (at least sometime during the season) will be Canty, Ferguson, Spears, Carpenter, James, Ayodele, Ware, R. Williams, Newman, Henry and Coleman/Watkins...

Isn't this perhaps one of the heaviest/largest overall units in the NFL?? I have seen previous posts describing the fact that our linebacking corps is about 30 pounds heavier, on average, than a few years ago. Given that we are fully invested in the 3-4 (which obviously demands a heavier front 7...AND that we have two fairly beefy starting CBs...AND that guys like Canty (and Spears?) have bulked up in the offseason...this would seem to indicate that we have some serious beef on the D this season!

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
slotshot said:
Hey all,

A thought occurred to me this morning. If we make the assumption that our starting defensive players (at least sometime during the season) will be Canty, Ferguson, Spears, Carpenter, James, Ayodele, Ware, R. Williams, Newman, Henry and Coleman/Watkins...

Isn't this perhaps one of the heaviest/largest overall units in the NFL?? I have seen previous posts describing the fact that our linebacking corps is about 30 pounds heavier, on average, than a few years ago. Given that we are fully invested in the 3-4 (which obviously demands a heavier front 7...AND that we have two fairly beefy starting CBs...AND that guys like Canty (and Spears?) have bulked up in the offseason...this would seem to indicate that we have some serious beef on the D this season!

You would think. ESPN ranked us in their fantasy picks as the #11 defense in the NFL. I would like to think we are better than that.

Welcome to Cowboyszone slotshot!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fletch said:
You would think. ESPN ranked us in their fantasy picks as the #11 defense in the NFL. I would like to think we are better than that.

Welcome to Cowboyszone slotshot!!

My hope is that we will be a top 5 defense in the NFL this season. I can understand the ranking because there is uncertainty until they go out there and show it on the field. I'm excited about the prospect of this unit and with the players who are heading into their 2nd season, Like Ware, Spears and Canty I think the experiance from last season will show up in the form of being more aggressiveness because they will have a better understanding of the system and the league

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well, Bill did say he wanted a bigger, faster defense, and it looks like that's what he's got.

JonCJG

Reaction score
I think I remember we had the biggest LB's of any team to running the 3-4 and our DL were like 2nd or 3rd after Pittsburgh and N.E. weight wise.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
KD said:
I think I remember we had the biggest LB's of any team to running the 3-4 and our DL were like 2nd or 3rd after Pittsburgh and N.E. weight wise.
We'll always rank behind any team that has Ted Washington on it :D

Duane

Reaction score
slotshot said:
Hey all,

:welcome:

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
Fletch said:
You would think. ESPN ranked us in their fantasy picks as the #11 defense in the NFL.

the skins D has been ranked pretty low in FF, but they've been very good in reality.

i think dallas will have a very good D this season- top 10 at least.

Anguillidae

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Grady Jackson might be had.....

We can do THIS!!!!!!
Yes, we need a bigger NT to have the biggest defense. Ferguson is "only" 310. Wasn't it reported that Jackson weighed almost 400 - sign him.. :D

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
If all he cared about was heavy I would try out :D

Yeager, between the two of us we could put this defense over the top. :laugh2:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Yeager, between the two of us we could put this defense over the top. :laugh2:

Ahhh, the ol' "sumo-day" defense...

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
slotshot said:
Hey all,

A thought occurred to me this morning. If we make the assumption that our starting defensive players (at least sometime during the season) will be Canty, Ferguson, Spears, Carpenter, James, Ayodele, Ware, R. Williams, Newman, Henry and Coleman/Watkins...Isn't this perhaps one of the heaviest/largest overall units in the NFL??

Hello SS

Yes, I am an Eagles fan on the Zone. I hope that does not devalue my welcome extension. You've started off with a very interesting thread. Thought I'd check out the validity of what you're saying.

I did'nt have time to determine if the COwboys defensive team is the largest in the entire NFL, but perhaps collectively we can determine if that's true for the NFC-East. At least from an Eagles perspective, I can tell you that you're right on the money! ...or poundage anyway. Here's what I've learned, using the players you've depicted for the Cowboys DL ...

Eagles = (E)
Cowboys = (C)

Team…………Defensive Player……………..Position……………Ht…… Weight
(E)…………..J.R.Reed....................................Safety…………5'11"……202lbs
(E)……………Sean Considine………………Safety……………….6’0”….212lbs
(E)…………….Brian Dawkins……………..Free Safety…………..6’0”…..210lbs
(E) Total…………………………………………………… ………….…….624lbs
(C)…………..Marcus Coleman…………….Safety………………..6’2”…..210lbs.
(C)…………..Pat Watkins………………….Safety………………..6’5”…...212lbs
(C)…………..Roy Williams………………..Safety………………..6’0”……226lbs
(C)Total………………………………………………………………………684lbs

(E)……………Lito Shepard………………….Corner Back……….5’10”….195lbs
(E)……………Sheldon Brown……………….Corner Back……….5’10”….200lbs
(E)Total……………………………………………………………………….395lbs
(C)……………Terrance Newman…………….Corner Back……….5’11”….190lbs
(C)…………….Anthony Henry………………..Corner Back………6’1”…..205lbs
(C)Total………………………………………………………………………..395lbs

(E)…………….Jeremiah Trotter………………LB………………….6’1”……262lbs
(E)…………….Shawn Barber…………………LB………………….6’2”……240lbs
(E)…………….Matt McCoy…………………..LB………………….5’11”…..230lbs
(E)Total…………………………………………………………………………732lbs
(C)…………….Bobby Carpenter……………..LB…………………..6’3”…….255lbs
(C)…………….James Bradie………………….LB………………….6’2”…….245lbs
(C)……………Akin Ayodele…………………LB…………………..6’2”…….251lbs
(C)Total………………………………………………………………………….711lbs

(E)………………Ed Jasper………….Defensive Tackle……………..6’2”……295lbs
(E)Total………………………………………………………………………….300lbs
(C)Jason Ferguson………………………..DT………………………….6’2”…..305lbs
(C)Total…………………………………………………………………………..305lbs

(E)……………Darren Howard…………………Defensive End…….6’3”……275lbs
(E)…………….Jevon Kearse……………………Defensive End……6’4”……265lbs
(E) Total…………………………………………………………………………540lbs
(C)……………Chris Canty…………………….Defensive End…….6’7” ……279lbs
(C)…………….Marcus Spears…………………Defensive End…….6’3”…….307lbs
(C)Total…………………………………………………………………………576lbs

Eagles Total DL Weight………2,591 lbs

Cowboys Total DL Weight…..2,671lbs

I can't speak for the Giants or the Commanders, because I don't know who they have on their DL. However, we're only 80 lbs lighter overall than your DL . Nevertheless, your statement is true ...so far. . ;)

Any Giants or Commander fans out there?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
(E)…………….Jeremiah Trotter………………LB………………….6’1”……262lbs
(E)…………….Shawn Barber…………………LB………………….6’2”……240lbs
(E)…………….Matt McCoy…………………..LB………………….5’11”…..230lbs
(E)Total…………………………………………………………………………732lbs
(C)…………….Bobby Carpenter……………..LB…………………..6’3”…….255lbs
(C)…………….James Bradie………………….LB………………….6’2”…….245lbs
(C)……………Akin Ayodele…………………LB…………………..6’2”…….251lbs
(C)Total………………………………………………………………………….711lbs
check your math

751 pounds assuming you used that figure in your uiltimate add up you have a 40 pound error.
that pushes up to about 130 lbs heavier thats like a kicker.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
stealth said:
check your math

751 pounds assuming you used that figure in your uiltimate add up you have a 40 pound error. that pushes up to about 130 lbs heavier thats like a kicker.

I'll go along with what you're saying ...I've been mathematically wrong before. But woULdn't that mean that our DL is larger than your DL?