Out-of-network ATM fees may become a thing of the past

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By DAVID ENRICH
Dow Jones News Service

NEW YORK - Fees for using out-of-network automatic teller machines are becoming a thing of the past for some bank customers.

Ramping up their efforts to woo new customers, PNC Financial Services Group and Commerce Bancorp recently said that they not only will stop charging some customers for using competitors' ATMs, but also will reimburse the customers for the surcharges that the other banks slap on the transactions.

Withdrawing cash from an out-of-network ATM generally costs a customer a total of $3 or $4, with the banks on each end of the transaction assessing a fee. Banking officials say the surcharges are a common source of customer complaints, and PNC and Commerce are hoping to get a leg up on competitors by insulating customers from the fees.

At the same time that many banks are trying to win new customers by opening branches and extending their hours, industry observers expect a wave of banks to follow PNC and Commerce's lead and put ATM fees on the chopping block.

"You will see it more among regional players," said Jessica Ip, a banking consultant with Dove Consulting in Boston. "This is the beginning of another trend."

Anat Bird, a banking industry expert and consultant in Granite Bay, Calif., said that in the next two years, ATM fees probably will disappear among small and midsize banks that are operating in competitive markets. Offering refunds can help the smaller players neutralize the competitive advantages enjoyed by national banks that have much more extensive ATM networks.

But while ATM fees are much maligned among consumers, it's not clear whether PNC and Commerce will lure enough new customers to make their refunding initiatives financially worthwhile.

Neither bank would disclose details about the anticipated costs of the refunds, the number of customers who are eligible to get their fees refunded, or how many new bank accounts would need to be opened to justify the loss of revenue from ATM fees and the costs of the refunds. A Commerce spokesman said it's too early to tell whether the bank's offer, which was launched April 1, is attracting new customers.

At Cherry Hill, N.J.-based Commerce, the offer applies to customers who maintain checking accounts with minimum daily balances of at least $2,500.

PNC's program is targeted at customers in the Washington, D.C., area.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3137815

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I hope it changes. ATM fees are one of the biggest scams today. I take out a measly $20 from a bank I'm not affiliated with and I end up paying $5 in fees to my bank and the ATM machine's bank. That's 25% of the money I just wanted to grab a hamburger! :eek: The mafia gives better interest rates than that!

Hoov

Reaction score
It's a "convenience" charge for you to be able to get your money at any time of day that you want to and without having to go all the way to the bank. But .50 cents is reasonable, not 3-5 dollars. Even .50 results in huge profits considering how many people use ATM on daily basis.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I hope it changes. ATM fees are one of the biggest scams today. I take out a measly $20 from a bank I'm not affiliated with and I end up paying $5 in fees to my bank and the ATM machine's bank. That's 25% of the money I just wanted to grab a hamburger! :eek: The mafia gives better interest rates than that!
$5????? :eek: I think mine is $2.50

k19

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

No we dont :D

Seriously though I wont get money out of another banks ATM unless its a large amount for just that reason. One of my accounts is a local one here in smallsville and the other is with Bankone. When the wife has her cancer treatments in Tampa I end up having to go to Walmart and get cash back on a pack of gum rather than paying a fee at an ATM

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
$5????? :eek: I think mine is $2.50

Yep, it's almost $5 after you combine the fee from my bank along with whatever that other bank's ATM charges. It's usually my luck that I get stuck with the ATM in the middle of nowhere that charges close to $3.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fortunately I bank at a large bank and can find an atm almost anywhere. It's rare I go to another bank atms. I'm one of those who will drive near and far for one of my bank's atms rather than spot $4 bucks in addition to what I'm withdrawing.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Fortunately I bank at a large bank and can find an atm almost anywhere. It's rare I go to another bank atms. I'm one of those who will drive near and far for one of my bank's atms rather than spot $4 bucks in addition to what I'm withdrawing.
With the gas prices it's cheaper to just use any atm :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
With the gas prices it's cheaper to just use any atm :D
Probably, but there's a branch in the mezzanine in my office bldg.:cool: :D